Front office drama: "I never tried to fire Casey." - Colangelo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    Just keep lowering the bar. After 7 seasons, we are now at the point where just making the playoffs next year, even if just for one year and in 8th place, would be considered a massive success.

It's funny cause after the 2008 season, I remember fans being hugely disappointed they couldn't get past Orlando into the second round of the playoffs and had seemingly maxed out as an Atlanta type team. Now, 5 years later, no one even talks about winning a playoff series anymore.
    Oh so true.

Just making the playoffs next year would be considered some major accomplishment now.lol

It's a joke. Colangelo has made this team irrelevant on so many levels. What bothers me the most is what constitutes success now for this franchise. Good job Bryan.

Comment

Steve Simmons is notorious for making baseless remarks and I think this is one of them.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
        Steve Simmons is notorious for making baseless remarks and I think this is one of them.
        jimmie wrote: View Post
        Um, Eric Koreen and Bruce Arthur both corroborated the story in December. And again this morning on Twitter (Koreen, anyway).
        Hey Eric could you do us all a favor and read the thread that you're commenting on? Your "accusation" has already been rebuffed.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          Hey Eric could you do us all a favor and read the thread that you're commenting on? Your "accusation" has already been rebuffed.
          Not that I care, but the claim that Colangelo tried to get Casey fired back in December, by reporters who cited front office sources, hasn't been rebuffed anywhere, by anyone, other than Colangelo himself. One of the reporters reiterated yesterday that those stories were 100% factual. So basically it's a "he said, she said" situation. Believe whichever side you want.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Colangelo is denying a rebuffed accusation is what you're saying. BC on his own accord texted Simmons to challenge the accusation. Simmons has not gotten back to BC and never will.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

What is he supposed to do? Give up his sources to a company that bullies journalists? Please, for something to run in print and be corroborated by multiple journalists it is a lock that it is fact. If it wasn't lawsuits would be flying. All BC is trying to do is find a mole/s.

Comment

I better elaborate. A story like this the journalist would have to give the report to their editor with details of who his sources are, how accurate those sources have been in the past, etc. The fact that multiple journalists are agreeing with the report it indicates that there are either multiple sources or an extremely reliable source that all of them (trusted and non-trusted journalist) use because he/she/its information is consistently accurate.

Comment

This isn't really that big of a story to me, even if it's 100% true. Why wouldn't BC toss around the idea of firing Casey after such a terrible start? I truly believe that Colangelo thought the team would be a serious contender for the playoffs in the East and when they fell flat on their face to start the year, I'm sure the subject of a coaching change was definitely brought up.

Now, whether Colangelo was being completely delusional when he had this team penciled in for ~45 wins before the season began is a completely different topic. However it doesn't surprise me that the idea of firing Casey got kicked around. It's not exactly Phil Jackson we're talking about here. The team was terrible record wise, had a handful of late game collapses and the locker room situation seemed dire as well (team only meeting; Bargnani and Lowry get called out)... would anyone have been shocked if Casey got the axe? Plus Colangelo undoubtedly had eyes on saving his own ass, and blaming DC for the team's shortcomings would have certainly deflected a lot of attention elsewhere.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    Maybe. When the team was 4-17 Colangelo went on TV during a game and said it wasn't a talent issue, which pointed the finger squarely at the coaching staff. Then, just to cover his bases, he also took that opportunity to throw his #5 overall pick and future of the franchise under the bus, back over him, and then park on his legs.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Colangelo was politicking all season and blaming various people for his failures. It's been his M.O. for 5 years and it's worked. He's ran through a laundry list of coaches and players only to fail with every single Frankenstein monster he's created, yet, here he is and there is no indication he is going anywhere.

My guess would be that they'll keep BC for one more year, he'll keep Casey, the team will start slow and Casey will be gone mid-season. Then, Colangelo can blame next season's failure on having to bring in a new coach who needs a full training camp. And back on the merry-go-round we go....
                    CT2010 wrote: View Post
                    Couldn't disagree more. I don't this BC called out the coaching staff at all but the players not being able or willing to execute the game plan during the opening stretch of the season. I think he was right frankly. I at no time has BC throw Val under any bus.
                    Exactly CT2010!!!! To say that "pointed the finger squarely at the coaching staff" is simplistic foolishness, imo. Gee, any chance that the "it wasn't a talent issue" statement could have pointed at players not playing up to their potential, players needing time to get to know each other, along with injuries, being reference to it not being about talent? It amazes me that so many people interpreted that as such. It's one thing to criticize reality, but another to twist a few words someone says into such certainty of insanity.

Comment

What is he supposed to do? Give up his sources to a company that bullies journalists? Please, for something to run in print and be corroborated by multiple journalists it is a lock that it is fact. If it wasn't lawsuits would be flying. All BC is trying to do is find a mole/s.
                      We're not talking of a trade rumour or an allegation of somebody doing something. When you directly accuse somebody of doing something you have to be able to back it up with proof. Anybody can make an accusation and refuse to prove it with excuses like 'can't reveal the source 'cause being a journalist I may get bullied'.

Simmons was simply creating a stir for attention. Nobody would or should believe otherwise until proved.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

We're not talking of a trade rumour or an allegation of somebody doing something. When you directly accuse somebody of doing something you have to be able to back it up with proof. Anybody can make an accusation and refuse to prove it with excuses like 'can't reveal the source 'cause being a journalist I may get bullied'.

Simmons was simply creating a stir for attention. Nobody would or should believe otherwise until proved.
                        Are you ignoring Koreen and Arthur, then, or suggesting they made the story up, too? They've also stated that their articles about Colangelo wanting Casey fired back in December were 100% true, citing unnamed front office sources.

BTW, are you suggesting that journalists protecting their sources is a bad thing? There's a little thing called 'journalistic integrity' that guides most of them, and that includes not making up stories and attributing information to non-existent sources.

Again, I personally don't care one way or the other whether it's true. But it's certainly not as far-fetched as you seem to be making it.
                        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Are you ignoring Koreen and Arthur, then, or suggesting they made the story up, too? They've also stated that their articles about Colangelo wanting Casey fired back in December were 100% true, citing unnamed front office sources.

BTW, are you suggesting that journalists protecting their sources is a bad thing? There's a little thing called 'journalistic integrity' that guides most of them, and that includes not making up stories and attributing information to non-existent sources.

Again, I personally don't care one way or the other whether it's true. But it's certainly not as far-fetched as you seem to be making it.

Let me refer you to my post which said "we're not talking about a trade rumour or an allegation but a direct accusation". When a Journalist reports a trade not yet made official or alleges(not certain) that a person did or said something, he/she has every right to keep the source a secret. The same can't be said about a direct accusation. The character and integrity of the accused person is falsely being tarnished. Naturally and understandably the accused person will demand proof because his reputation is at stake.

As far as Koreen and Arthur are concerned, who knows that one didn't start it citing an unnamed source and the other didn't pick it up from him? Who knows that Simmons didn't pick it up from one of them? I'm not saying that it happened that way but its possible.

Irrespective of how it started and so on and so forth, BC is totally justified in demanding an explanation and the Journalist owes him one unless he can prove that the accusation is true.
                          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

2 words. Steve Simmons. That's all you need to know.

I'm with Colangelo on this one 100%.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Let me refer you to my post which said "we're not talking about a trade rumour or an allegation but a direct accusation". When a Journalist reports a trade not yet made official or alleges(not certain) that a person did or said something, he/she has every right to keep the source a secret. The same can't be said about a direct accusation. The character and integrity of the accused person is falsely being tarnished. Naturally and understandably the accused person will demand proof because his reputation is at stake.

As far as Koreen and Arthur are concerned, who knows that one didn't start it citing an unnamed source and the other didn't pick it up from him? Who knows that Simmons didn't pick it up from one of them? I'm not saying that it happened that way but its possible.

Irrespective of how it started and so on and so forth, BC is totally justified in demanding an explanation and the Journalist owes him one unless he can prove that the accusation is true.
                              This is full-on nonsense, but have at it. Journalists are not only in their rights to not share sources, it's actually in integral part of their job. This isn't a slander case.

Comment

This is full-on nonsense, but have at it. Journalists are not only in their rights to not share sources, it's actually in integral part of their job. This isn't a slander case.
                                Nice chatting with you.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X