Raptors Year in Review: Tim Chisholm of TSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ebrian wrote: View Post
    I agree. This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Lowry. Tell me if this sounds familiar:

- there's a player on your team that cost the team an early lottery pick
    - the player has shown flashes of being very good over the past 7 seasons but hasn't been able to put it all together
    - has been asked to play his position differently than what his skill-set would point to
    - he doesn't necessarily exhibit the strengths of what you would normally expect from the position he plays, although he is very good at some other things

In the past we've had a player such as this and tried to accommodate by changing the roster to make up for his weaknesses, and it didn't exactly pan out. Now I'm not advocating getting rid of him like I do with Andrea, but I don't understand the fixation of trying to do so much in order to help Lowry succeed.
    How much offensive success is Toronto having playing "the right way" since the Gay trade? How much offensive success did Toronto have last season? If we were talking about an offensive system that is potent, well, maybe I'd be in agreement. But the offensive system Casey is pushing and trying to get Lowry to conform to is awful.... period. A system relying on set plays for 21 foot plus jump shots is not going to yield success regardless of your roster. Two different point guards with totally different styles have proven this: Calderon last season and Lowry this season.

Comparison to Bargnani is not a good one. Lowry has a history of good play with 2 different coaches playing a style different than what was asked of him in Toronto. Plus, when Lowry plays you at least know he cares - how he channels it is debatable but he does care.

I think Raptors fans have become accustomed to players with little to no talent needing to be spoon fed in order to produce all the while possessing passive personalities.

Comment

I actually saw improvement from Lowry as the season went on. He now knows his role. He is the point guard. There will be a time that he will be able to "get his" BUT in the meantime he should be working on passing to Demar, Gay, Valenciunas and Amir.

To me - Lowry looks comfortable being a pass first point guard over the past few weeks. I disagree with MANY here who seem to think that he cannot thrive in his current situation. If Lowry can settle in and find plays for others in our starting lineup - this will leave a ton of room for him to pick his spots when being aggressive. Also, we shouldnt need Lowry to be a Hero (Bargs is not here and Fields is no longer starting - those two played HORRIBLE at the begginning of the season).

I disagree with trading Demar until we see how his 3 point shot and defence improves next season (I already see improvement over the past few games). He can definately make that shot, he just needs to have more confidence and be consistant in his release. I'm very intrigued by the Rudy Gay and Demar combination on the wings. When they get going they are almost impossible to stop.

Again, I DO NOT want Bryan C making anymore decisions when it comes to this team. I'm fine with a NEW GM coming in and evaluating the players and making changes if need be.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
        No, just hoping he won't be here. I hesitate to say I'd be "surprised" if he's still here, but I sure hope ownership's patience has run out.
        He's too smooth a talker.....owners will lap up his 'knowledge". I fully expect him to be given a one year extension.

Comment

For me I think it's not so much a question of whether the offense needs improvement or not. It's beyond obvious that it needs improvement. It's when the conversation is geared towards building around a talent that I think is overrated that bothers me. This really comes down to how good you think Lowry is versus how good he really is.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

Raptors Year-in-Review: Bigs

Building on the discussion about the Raptors guards and wings, here is Tim Chisholm's article about the Raptors bigs.

LINK: http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=421005

I think this category has the least amount of debate, as even the most loyal Bargnani supporter has to admit that the time has come for Bargnani's time in Toronto to end. The one question that still remains (and has already been debated in several RR threads), is whether or not Johnson will be the starting PF or 3rd big next season; obviously that decision could potentially have domino-effect impact on other players/positions.

Comment

Raptors Year in Review: Tim Chisholm of TSN

a
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

If we're looking to improve the second unit, it will depend on what kind of deal and the assets returning on a Bargnani deal, because - as most point out to - the returning asset should/wanted is a power forward. Meaning Amir returns to the second unit, significantly making it stronger. Not to mention, the internal improvements of Ross and Acy going forward is extremely important.

I don't think there's any REAL great trade where Derozan/Ross can net fair or equal value.

I say keep all our wings, any trade that should be happening in the off-season includes only Bargnani, Lucas, Kleiza (if not amnestied) and available picks (most are second rounders).

MLE used on the veteran wing shooter/defender, and consistent back-up like Ridnour.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

To the team system issues, I think Casey should have just stuck with:

"Defend, force turnovers, rebound and THAN we can get our run out opportunities."

He emphasized the offense far more than defense this season, assuming that the previous season's defensive mentaility would be there. Quite frankly, many will say continuity is the problem with the regression, but I disagree, it's the coaching staff being inconsistent in their approach.

The offense in the last two months looks really good in my opinion, because Casey's allowed freedom/drive-&-kick with Lowry, and sticking Rudy and Demar in their favourite sides of the court, Rudy on the right, Demar on the left.

Comment

If Brooklyn doesnt retain Cj Watson Raps have to go after him.

Jeff Teague
                    Cj Watson
                    Luke Ridnour
                    JJ Barea
                    Devin Harris
                    Kirk Hinrich
                    Nate Robinson
                    Darren Collison
                    D.J Augustine
                    Chauncy Billups
                    Eric Maynor

good list of PG the Raptors should be looking at.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                      If Brooklyn doesnt retain Cj Watson Raps have to go after him.

Jeff Teague
                      Cj Watson
                      Luke Ridnour
                      JJ Barea
                      Devin Harris
                      Kirk Hinrich
                      Nate Robinson
                      Darren Collison
                      D.J Augustine
                      Chauncy Billups
                      Eric Maynor

good list of PG the Raptors should be looking at.
                      Jeff Teague: Not happening, staying in Atlanta (most likely).
                      Cj Watson: I think this would be a great pick-up, and I think he would be worth maybe half the MLE.
                      Luke Ridnour: I'd definitely like Ridnour.
                      JJ Barea: Inconsistent, score first, and terrible defender. No thanks.
                      Devin Harris: I would say yes, but at the same time no. If the Raptors sign him, I wouldn't be upset.
                      Kirk Hinrich: Yes, and yes.
                      Nate Robinson: Eh, maybe.
                      Darren Collison: Nope.
                      D.J Augustine: Ew, nope.
                      Chauncy Billups: Depending on what he'd sign for, I think he would fit all our issues; back-up PG, veteran, shooter.
                      Eric Maynor: As a last resort, sure.

Comment

Seriously I had no idea a talented guy like CJ played for so little hes solid and thats what you need from a guard making just a mil when he is worth at least 2 mil a season.

List is here:
                        http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                          Seriously I had no idea a talented guy like CJ played for so little hes solid and thats what you need from a guard making just a mil when he is worth at least 2 mil a season.

List is here:
                          http://www.hoopsworld.com/2013-nba-free-agents
                          It's likely because he signed with a market than wasn't necessarily looking into his services, or hard pressed to gain them, so the player takes less. Not to mention the player playing the majority amount of minutes/position is much better, meaning the player behind or being signed has significantly less value.

Comment

Had Watson signed for a team like the Bobcats, Raptors, Wizards, I wouldn't be surprised if his salary was much higher; near $3-$4 million in a year.

Comment

If Chauncey Billups can be had...we take him, for anything up to and including the MLE
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X