No announcement yet.

Grade Rudy Gay's 2012-2013 NBA season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grade Rudy Gay's 2012-2013 NBA season.

Grade Rudy Gay's season with the Toronto Raptors.
    A
    0.00%
    B
    66.67%
    C
    33.33%
    D
    0.00%
    F
    0.00%
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

I wanted to give him a A but then thought of the games he had to sit out and meh I give him a high B+ A- range. Raps needed a leader he came and elivered, Raps needed a closer he came and delivered. He turned what could have been a 25 win season(?) into a respectable strong finish and push into sneaking into the playoffs but falling short to 34 W season and that is something.

the signing of Gay was a big one season saver, with the impressive JV play and potentially last season with Anchor Bargnani is reasons im optimistic for next season. Since hes been here too everyone on the team has just been "happier" yes winning games does that but his impact isnt just on the court it seems. Rudy Gay is legit.

Comment

GEtting too tired to justify votes. Gave Gay a B.

In some ways he was better than I hoped, but in the end, he was mostly exactly what I expected: an inconsistent, inefficient, overpaid, borderline all-star. Needs to tighten his game a lot. More playing out of the post. Less perimeter isos. Needs to tighten his handle and his passing. Needs to get his body right and prevent the back from becoming a long-term issue, because I think it's one reason for his inconsistencies. More than anything though, I want consistent intensity/effort on D, where he can be too valuable to just be a pylon some nights.

Comment

I'll say B+. Despite his trouble shooting he stepped up in different areas. He became a rebounder a passer and most importantly, he's still clutch. I saw a lot of good defense from him but he's a tad inconsistent. He missed a lot of time too so I guess that prevents him from getting an A

Comment

I'm not sure if this is for his whole season, or just with the Raptors. He was better with the Raptors than with the Grizzlies.

I thought he was particularly effective at the ACC. Consider these numbers:

At the Air Canada Centre:

18 games - 35.2 min, .453 FG%, .353 3FG%, .851 FT%, 6.7 REB, 2.7 AST, 2.1 STL, 20.3 PPG

At FedEx Forum (Memphis):

22 games - 36.1 min, .383 FG%, .366 3FG%, .783 FT%, 6.1 REB, 2.3 AST, 1.5 STL, 16.7 PPG

He improved dramatically post-All Star game (compared to pre).

His April numbers look pretty impressive (9 games).

33.1 min, .482 FG%, .500 3FG% (on 4.2 attempts), .813 FT%, 6.6 REB, 2.9 AST, 1.7 STL, 19.9 PPG

Combined with DeRozan's eye-opening work late in the season, if they are able to continue that sort of production and efficiency next year, that is a very dangerous wing combination.

I know it's a small sample, and perhaps distorted by the level of competition, but I think it is overly negative to completely ignore Gay's performance (and the Raptors') late in the season.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
            I'll say B+. Despite his trouble shooting he stepped up in different areas. He became a rebounder a passer and most importantly, he's still clutch. I saw a lot of good defense from him but he's a tad inconsistent. He missed a lot of time too so I guess that prevents him from getting an A
            His shooting improved in March and April.

March (12 games): .434 FG%
            April (9 games): .482 FG%

In the 26 games post-All-Star game: .440 FG% and .380 3FG%.

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post

That's a very good sign.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post

b-b-but april doesnt count

Comment

I gave him a C.

Way too much inconsistency. Everyone in the league has talent - Gay's is on another level than most. But what separates the really good players from the pretenders is consistency. Gay is paid like a guy who should bring it EVERY single night. Tie in to that his penchant for taking plays off - especially on D - and I am not seeing justification for a high grade.

I do hope he works on his body this summer (stronger legs, stronger core) and he has a LeBron like revelation about his advantages in the post and what that does for his efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                  X