Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lottery team w/ most to look forward to next season? RAPTORS says one person at SLAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lottery team w/ most to look forward to next season? RAPTORS says one person at SLAM

Lottery Team with Most to Look Forward To:

Pete: Raptors

Toronto ended the season by beating five playoff-bound teams in a row–granted, most of their opponents were either resting starters or in cruise control–and showed a lot of promise heading into the offseason and beyond. With a team as young as the Raptors, sometimes all they need is time, especially when the talent is there. DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay provide an explosive 1-2 scoring punch, Amir Johnson improved by leaps and bounds this season and is a legit threat in the paint, Kyle Lowry stuffs the stat sheet when healthy, Jonas Valanciunas looked great over the final stretch of the season, Alan Anderson was a pleasant surprise and gives them scoring off the bench (if resigned), Terence Ross will only get better, and they should finally be free of Andrea Bargnani. The Raptors have put together a nice core group of athletic, high-scoring players but will have to tighten up defensively if they are to make any noise going forward. Regardless, this will be one of the more fun teams to watch next season.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...son-in-review/
    That is pretty optimistic.

What do you think?
    6.25%
    0.00%
    9.38%
    31.25%
    18.75%
    9.38%
    15.63%
    3.13%
    3.13%
    3.13%

Optimism never dies.
    Well I believe the author's too optimistic, this five win streak is the only positive thing and they hold on it... Quite sad actually. This team has the potential, but it's just the potential. There's no one to use it properly in the organization atm. DC cannot do it, BC does not know what he's doing at all, players clearly cannot do it themselves as well as their jump shots won't fall all the time if they rely only on them. So some big changes has to happen, I call for BC's and DC's heads.
    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I'm an 8 out of 10. If Amir and JV can play up to their abilities and improve the team D, then I think both Gay and DeRozan can do the rest. Those two should be coming out gunz blazing next season.

By the way Matt, you're on a tear as of late with these threads. Keep up the great work.

Comment

We're definitely looking better going into this season then we were going into last season. Amir had the best season of his career, our PG spot is finally locked up, and Bargs is definitely on the out. And we also have a guy named Valanciunas.

If Rudy and DeMar can coincide and play well together consistently, we have a lot to look forward too.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

One thing I do agree with the article is the last sentence. If you put aside any feelings of invested interest, and you don't care whether they win or lose -- I think this team will be, if anything, fun to watch next season.

I voted 4 and it will remain that way until Bargnani is gone.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

Wait and see approach for me. We can spin the optimism and skepticism any way we like.

Comment

I voted a 6. The team will be better even with almost 0 roster changes. My vote will leap up to 8 if they get a good return for Bargnani and drop to a 5 if they package him for Eric and Aaron Williams.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The Raptors are quite young, take a look:

Kyle Lowry - 27
                Rudy Gay - 26
                Amir Johnson - 25
                Landry Fields - 24
                Demar Derozan - 23
                Terrence Ross - 22
                Quincy Acy - 22
                Jonas Valanciunas - 20

If there is any semblance of continuity going into next season (in terms of roster changes and coach), then the team will definitely be improved and most likely make the playoffs.

What is the ceiling of the above roster? That's impossible to tell, and hinges on several factors such as defense, Jonas, and Ross. But there is definitely room to grow IF Colangelo (or his replacement) stops with the "8 new players per season" mantra.

Comment

voted 2.

if BC and Casey are gone i'll change my vote to a 6.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Voted 4.

I think the end of season winning streak should be taken with a heavy grain of salt based on the competition. However I'll admit that a full training camp and some continuity should help this group a lot considering all of the moving parts over the past 12 months.

The summer will be important even though the Raps don't have many options. The Bargnani situation needs to be finally resolved - even if it's using the amnesty on him - and BC will have to turn the MLE into something useful. I think assuming that either one of these are foregone conclusions would be a mistake at this point.

As it stands now they're ceiling appears to be a 7-8 seed if everything goes right. That's not the type of situation that inspires a lot of excitement; if the stars all align we'll end up being a middle of the pack team. It really does seem like we've set ourselves up for the dreaded no man's land.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post

We're definitely looking better going into this season then we were going into last season. Amir had the best season of his career, our PG spot is finally locked up, and Bargs is definitely on the out. And we also have a guy named Valanciunas.

If Rudy and DeMar can coincide and play well together consistently, we have a lot to look forward too.
                      If by locked up yo mean the starter, OK, but the PG position as a whole need to be addressed. Lucas just has to go, he is a terrible back-up PG. I love his energy and desire to do well, he just sucks at actually getting the results.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I voted 6, but would have preferred a "TBD" option.

Regardless of what moves are made this offseason, the Raptors have several young, talented players on the roster, which they can either build around or trade as assets.

My true vote will come just before the start of next season, after the BC/DC situations have been resolved and all rosters moves have been completed.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          If by locked up yo mean the starter, OK, but the PG position as a whole need to be addressed. Lucas just has to go, he is a terrible back-up PG. I love his energy and desire to do well, he just sucks at actually getting the results.
                          Locked up in the sense that the starting spot controversy is over. This team needs stability. We need a solid backup PG, but someone that won't challenge for the starting role. Lucas is much better off as 3rd string.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I was optimistic last season and I got crushed.. not going to happen this time around. Voting 3.

Comment

For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Working...
                              X