Hindsight - Who should we have kept?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Ed/tr is surely to be debated for some time.

I think you need to see who comes in next to make a final decision.

Also Ed was due for an extension at the same time the raps have no pg under contract.
    Very true, like I've said and written about before, not a deal that you can fully evaluate for awhile.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Was a deal with Ross instead of Davis on the table?

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
        You really think that deep down everyone in that organization thinks that they have a better chance in the playoffs with Prince than with Gay? It was a money trade that they had to make. It wasn't a basketball trade. BC used his cap space to nab Gay. He is overpaid, but what's the point of having cap space if you can't sign the top players. Going after someone in free agency almost always results in overpaying for a player anyway.
        Grizz went 27-10 post-Gay trade. If I'm part of that organization, I'm definitely in the mindset that we're better without him.
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Mourning refused to play here, so I don't think he can be included on this type of list.
          Mourning was traded to the Toronto Raptors on December 17, 2004. Mourning never reported to the Raptors and was bought out of his contract, at a remaining 9 million dollars, on February 11, 2005. Raptors team officials later said that he did not meet the medical conditions to play for the team.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            Was a deal with Ross instead of Davis on the table?
            Tweets and speculation that Memphis was originally interested in Ross. BC had labelled otherwise, calling him "untouchable."
            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
              I fixed it for you.
              I agree with Marz about Igoudala, even though he was never a Rap. Bosh, Carter, Iggy could've been a nice core and who knows what would've happened back then. The East was pretty weak for a while, and that was in the middle of the Detroit dominance. I hate the "what-if" scenarios, but this is one that really changed the direction of the franchise IMO. The Hoffa selection was just atrocious, and while we made the Playoffs twice with Bosh, the talent around him was just not enough to get it done.

Rob Babcock for the Loss, assist goes to VC for the public demand.

And I really liked The Red Rocket and wanna see him back here at some point, even as a coach...

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                Mourning was traded to the Toronto Raptors on December 17, 2004. Mourning never reported to the Raptors and was bought out of his contract, at a remaining 9 million dollars, on February 11, 2005. Raptors team officials later said that he did not meet the medical conditions to play for the team.
                I don't care what Raptors team officials said, Mourning refused to play here and there were a number of sources that I'm not going to bother looking up. Basically, Rob Babcock fucked up. Big. And then proceeded to buy out 'Zo so that he could win a championship with the Miami Heat that season.

#IHateRobBabcock

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                  As I sit here watching the Bulls play Brooklyn a thought occurred to me. Humphries used to play for the Raptors, so did Reggie Evans...and I as examined the other team I saw Bellinelli flying around like a mad man. Which got me thinking about Jarrett Jack playing in Golden State, Billups in LA, Ed Davis and Jerryd Bayless in Memphis, Bonner in San Antonio. These guys are all contributing in key roles for their current teams. These guys are all playing in the playoffs. PJ Carlesimo is coaching a playoff team.

So the question is... Who do you wish was still a Raptor? Who should we have given more of an opportunity to?

This shows me that BC is not inept at finding talented players that can contribute to a playoff team. It just so happens that by the time they contribute it isn't for the Raptors.
                  I often think the same thing, and one day, we will all be commenting on the success that current Raptors are having on other teams. I agree, it's not that BC can't find talent, butI think it's that this organization can't get the most of out of the talent when it gets it. We so often put players in roles that don't fit their skill sets/personalities, or expect them to contribute in ways that they can't. Or, we have an assortment of players that just don't work together well. We are doing it right now, and any number of players on the current roster could be traded into more suitable roles on other teams and we would be left scratching our heads as to how those players managed such magnificent transformations. But the reality is they didn't make a transformation, they were just put in a more appropriate role that allowed them to flourish moreso than in TO. Granted, many of the players listed did have success here, but I would argue that they achieved more after they left TO and acquired a more appropriate role.

This organzation really sucks at integrating talent into a competitive basketball product. If Bargs gets traded this offseason, and performs better for his new team, would anyone be surprised? And who would be to blame for his play as a Raptor? Lowry...same boat! Demar...he would be great for a team that didn't expect him to be an all-around all-star type talent. I could definitely see Demar getting traded and this type of situation occuring, and the fans left wondering why he didn't shoot as well in TO.

In any event, I'd take back Bonner and Davis as I think those guys are versatile and coachable and could find a role and a way to contribute positively on just about any team, even the Raptors.

Comment

Not all are doing better; many are playing in very minimal roles and some get only a bit more time because of injuries.

Comment

Hibbert. :-D
                      P.J. Carlesimo

More seriously, and recently, Reggie Evans (although we wouldn't have drafted Acy, which would be sad. I love him.) The Raps never gave Evans a fair chance. He is an elite rebounder and solid enough all around. The Nets use him as a starter; enough said.

Comment

Working...
                      X