Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What team's offensive package would most suit the Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What team's offensive package would most suit the Raptors?

So Casey saying that our offensive package was built to be similar to what Dallas had around Nowitzki isn't exactly news. We all know what a mistake this was. However, with our new, non-Bargnani core, obviously that offensive package makes even less sense. I am hopeful that the isolation-intensive offense we saw late in the season was simply Casey scrambling to give his guys something easy to learn, and that given an offseason and training camp, he'll put together something more sophisticated (or bring in someone who can). However, it also seems realistic that the best he can do as a non-offense guy is just ripping off another team's schemes.

Let's say, hypothetically, that our core stays the same going into next season and Casey remains HC. And let's say Casey was looking to copy an offensive package from another NBA team. What (current or past) team's offensive schemes do you think would most suit the Raptors? I'm asking this because for me it's a bit of a head-scratcher. I can't really think of another team's offense that would make perfect sense for the Raptors, although admittedly I don't watch a lot of non-Raptors NBA other than during the playoffs. Any suggestions?

I beleive he said the team is very much like Indiana, so there's my answer.

Comment

Indy.
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Assuming JV continues to develop in the post, I like a lot of the high/low action Memphis runs with Gasol and Randolph, except in Toronto the roles would be reversed with Val in the low block and Amir in the high post. The Nets also do a lot of stuff with Lopez that Toronto can try and duplicate with Val.

I love Denver's ball movement which plays into the strengths of their wings. Honestly, I'm not sure what you do to get the most out of Derozan and Gay. The problem, in particular with Derozan, is that he is not a playmaker at all. Gay tries but he can't pass in traffic. That's been a problem of his for years.

What I don't like is all the ISO stuff and the dependency on mid-range shots. Whatever is done, these issues need to be remedied.

Comment

Denver and their constant fastbreaking. We definitely have a team capable of doing that. We'd run teams out of the building, especially in the Eastern conference.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
            Denver and their constant fastbreaking. We definitely have a team capable of doing that. We'd run teams out of the building, especially in the Eastern conference.
            totally agreed. no reason why we can't be as speedy as denver. even our 'vet' AA is a speedy devil.

Comment

Not sure if the Raptors are suited for it but what I would love to see is San Antonio.

Similarities:

Penetrating, drive and kick PG - Parker/Lowry

Low post presence - Duncan/JV (long way to go for JV to reach Duncan, don't kill me, but showing promise)

Athletic wings - Leonard/Gay, Green/DeRozan

Depth in bigs - Splitter, Blair, Diaw, Bonner/Amir, Acy, Gray, Raps need another big (and this is a stretch)

Problems:

Raptors don't have another creator like Manu.

Raptors don't have 3 point shooters. The corner three is what the Spurs thrive on but I am optimistic Fields can return to form, Ross can become more consistent, Gay can get back to pre-shoulder injury, and DeRozan can expand his game.... sadly the optimism is likely misplaced.

RAPTORS DON'T MOVE THE BALL

Casey is not Pop

Comment

Houston is a good example as well. They don't have that post presence, but their offense is built around generating as many shots around the rim (and ft's) and as many threepointers as possible: suck em in the paint and lure em out. You need penetrators and threepointshooters and ball movement. A post presence will help, but you need a passing big man. 'Modern' offenses are more and more built around creating as many shots at the rim or from the threepoint line as possible (combined with quickness to go for early chances in transition when the defense isn't set). If you don't have that, you will have great trouble being an effective offensive nba team.

Comment

Rockets has great sets, watching the game atm, they're working for them really well and it's thing of a beauty to watch them.
                  Edit: Thinking alike, posted before you posted it ;D
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

The Bucks, we have a duo that are willing to duplicate brandon and monta and chuck up 50 shots a game heck we even have bench players that do that night in and night out (aa and JL3)
                    #BringBackUzoh

Comment

DC wants us to be like Indiana's defensive capability and offensive ability.

We're more like an Atlanta, says Josh Lewenberg and I

Comment

An offense where the ball is constantly being moved around and where players are never seen just standing around (except on ISO) setting multiple off and on-ball screens, doing cuts to the ball and basket. So basically high school basketball.

I'd like to see them implement a fast-pace system constantly looking for fast breaks which I think would greatly benefit the players on our roster -especially Lowry, that guy plays basketball like a headless chicken- This will not happen with Casey as our coach.

So to answer your question, Denver would be a great team to emulate.

P.S. - When D'Antoni gets fired in two weeks, I think hiring him as our head coach would be fucking fantastic.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                          An offense where the ball is constantly being moved around and where players are never seen just standing around (except on ISO) setting multiple off and on-ball screens, doing cuts to the ball and basket. So basically high school basketball.

I'd like to see them implement a fast-pace system constantly looking for fast breaks which I think would greatly benefit the players on our roster -especially Lowry, that guy plays basketball like a headless chicken- This will not happen with Casey as our coach.

So to answer your question, Denver would be a great team to emulate.

P.S. - When D'Antoni gets fired in two weeks, I think hiring him as our head coach would be fucking fantastic.
                          http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-r...ni/2013/01/25/
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I like what people have been saying about Indy, but I admire them more for their defense. Their O relies heavily on their bigs around the bucket, mainly West...Toronto does not (yet) have much to compare to the likes of David West, or the sheer size of Hibbert. Only comparable i see on each frontline is Amir/Psycho T.

I like what someone said about Denver--love the way they run the floor, one of my league pass (and 2K) favs since George Karl took over. Very comparable as far as athleticism and quickness goes

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Assuming JV continues to develop in the post, I like a lot of the high/low action Memphis runs with Gasol and Randolph, except in Toronto the roles would be reversed with Val in the low block and Amir in the high post. The Nets also do a lot of stuff with Lopez that Toronto can try and duplicate with Val.

I love Denver's ball movement which plays into the strengths of their wings. Honestly, I'm not sure what you do to get the most out of Derozan and Gay. The problem, in particular with Derozan, is that he is not a playmaker at all. Gay tries but he can't pass in traffic. That's been a problem of his for years.

What I don't like is all the ISO stuff and the dependency on mid-range shots. Whatever is done, these issues need to be remedied.
                              Agree with the last part there, enjoyed watching the 10 games previous to the Rudy trade than the last 30. Need to clamp down the defense alot so DD and RG can get out on the break, that's where they are best. In the half court, you're right, something needs to be done on D Casey's part to combat this -- more screen options/backdoor/high-low action? I'm sure we'll see less iso stuff next year, not a winning formula

Comment

Working...
                              X