Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Its not about preferences or being used to it, even if he loves snow, its a fact that cold temperatures exacerbates certain medical conditions. Joints especially
    Again, I think if he's considering making a comeback, he wont' limit his list to warm weather teams. Cold temperatures do exacerbate some medical conditions, but there are only so many teams in the South. He's not going to go "that looks like a great job! but the weather would be bad for my joints...guess I better pass".

Comment

Seriously whats plan B if Phil says no.... everyone is talking like its a certainty. I guess its see what BC does next season....

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
        Seriously whats plan B if Phil says no.... everyone is talking like its a certainty. I guess its see what BC does next season....
        Well, you just said it right there, it's an obvious one.

It's just speculation, but if Phil isn't acquired, plan B is let this plan BC has run.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Again, I think if he's considering making a comeback, he wont' limit his list to warm weather teams. Cold temperatures do exacerbate some medical conditions, but there are only so many teams in the South. He's not going to go "that looks like a great job! but the weather would be bad for my joints...guess I better pass".
          All i said is that its a factor, not the factor. plus with his kind of money he can afford heated everything, probably wearing heated boxers right now.

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
            MLSE has named a new president and it is a fantastic hire! I would see this as a step toward Colangelo being not renewed, but that is speculation on my part.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/m...-presidentceo/
            THAT IS HUUUUUGE NEWS!

So happy.

I am hoping Mitch Kupchak gets the axe!

The day I decide to stay off RR my hopes come true!

Comment

I agree. Some people are putting way too much weight on miniscule little factlets that are only there to give the pessimists something to talk about

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                Here is the interview... Had to read some code but was pretty easy to find:

Interview
                Thanks!

That interview is awesome!

I am so excited right now!

Everything I write has an "!" after it!

This is awesome!

Someone who is a proven winner and expects to win!

"CHAMPIONSHIPS ARE WHAT WE LIVE FOR, NOW LETS GO WIN THEM!"

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Fully, you're wrong.
                  I want Phil Jackson here as much as the next guy, I just don't think it will happen for the reasons I listed. I'm not wrong... All I did was list facts.. Half his joints are plastic and he has chronic issues with them, causing him to miss plenty of games during his coaching career. He loves it in California because his partner lives there and the weather is great for his body. If he decides to come here I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth. One tweet from Grange doesn't sway me at all though. What if Grange's unnamed "source" meant that half the year he spent in Montana was the summer? Don't forget that some people are in the business of hits.

Comment

Raptors, Phil Jackson in the same line of rumor mill. You think, wtf man ? Anyway...

This guy, Leiweke, I believe can attract bigger exposure to Raptors basketball. I like this hiring.

Comment

• Even if Phil Jackson doesn't come to Toronto (I don't think he will), this is still great news!

One step closer to the end for BC!

I'm buying everyone a beer when BC is fired.
                      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                        Even if Phil Jackson doesn't come to Toronto (I don't think he will), this is still great news!

One step closer to the end for BC!

I'm buying everyone a beer when BC is fired.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          The way I see it, Phil was a coach not a player (MJ, Isiah Thomas) so those comparisons cannot be made. As a coach, Phil dealt with the intellectual side of basketball, and the psychological side of a basketball team. His utter success on both fronts shows that a mind like his is valuable at any position in any basketball team.
                          A player turning GM is uncertain, because a good player does not have to be smart.
                          Phil is smart, and knows how winning looks like. Expect a culture shift with him in charge.

I would love to see this be the line of execs

MLSE President: Tim Leiweke --> Raptors President: Phil Jackson --> Raptors GM: BryCo --> Raptors HC: Dwayne Casey

This team of executives is a great balance of good talent scouting, basketball smarts, executive/business smarts, and motivation to win.

Phil Jackson will basically have all the powers he wishes, can change the coach, can change the GM, and I have utter faith in his abilities to make the right moves.

Phil is certainly the top of class, right there with Pop, in terms of getting the most out of a basketball teams but what level of experience did he get in L.A. in terms of building? I asked this because the Buss' ruled that team and still do. It was their way or the highway and most analysts I've read concur on the fact that Phil isn't coaching the Lakers this year because Buss Jr. didn't want to give up power to Phil as he does want powers beyond coaching in his next role.

There is a big difference between selecting talent and managing talent, that's my personal opinion anyway.

I'm not saying he would fail, but I am trying to point out what I feel is an important aspect of this.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Mould us Phil. We are your clay.
                          This made me chuckle.

Fully wrote: View Post
                          Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it.
                          The Raptors this time last year no doubt would be more marketable depending on what the executive was looking for.

Fully wrote: View Post
                          I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.
                          Please elaborate on this one. Do you mean he's looking for a "big market" or nothing? I think you're underestimating how bright his star shines.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                            I want Phil Jackson here as much as the next guy, I just don't think it will happen for the reasons I listed. I'm not wrong... All I did was list facts.. Half his joints are plastic and he has chronic issues with them, causing him to miss plenty of games during his coaching career. He loves it in California because his partner lives there and the weather is great for his body. If he decides to come here I'll gladly put my foot in my mouth. One tweet from Grange doesn't sway me at all though. What if Grange's unnamed "source" meant that half the year he spent in Montana was the summer? Don't forget that some people are in the business of hits.
                            Agree with this. I'm moving to California soon and can't wait to leave these Ontario winters behind......

But we can dream of Phil coming!

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Just to throw it out there....

Jackson was born in Montana....went to college in North Dakota....spent his playing career in NY...and the first chunk of his coaching career in Chicago....why would he fear winter? I'm not suggesting it will necessarily play no part in any decision he makes, but there are few warm weather teams with the resources and opportunity he'd want, and those will play a bigger part than the weather in his decision...I'm sure by quite a wide margin.
                              stretch wrote: View Post
                              Jackson lives in Montana, which is north of Toronto, latitude wise. Toronto winters are quite balmy compared to the average Montana winter.
                              He was quoted a few years ago that he says Montana is "a dangerous place, not because of wild animals, but inclement weather". Just saying that it could very well be a big factor to him and his joints.
                              Last edited by p00ka; Sat Apr 27, 2013, 12:57 AM.

Comment

• There are literally tens of thousands seniors with knee and/or hip replacements who live year round in the GTA. It's not a big deal after recovery and rehab. If Phil comes to live in Toronto he will go from his climate controlled luxury condo to his chauffeured car to the comfort of his office. It comes down to whether Phil wants to do this job, not Phil and the weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X