Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if we dont get Phil Jackson, Knowing that somewhere in Toronto, Colangelo is Crapping his pants, is enough satisfaction for me. I would just love to hear his presentation next week, when he explains that 5 years without playoffs is right on schedule and better then 11 rings.

But be warned if Colangelos option is picked up after this, you can expect a crazy summer of trades and signings and a whole bunch of desperation moves on his part between draft night and the trade deadline.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
      You know everything about Phil don't you?
      It's not a secret that Phil battles chronic arthritis and problems with his hips/knees. It wasn't too long ago that he had all of the surgeries. He would often miss road games to end the season because his body couldn't handle the travel. I'm pretty sure he's on record saying that the warm climate of California keeps him comfortable and improves his quality of life. I just don't see him coming to Toronto for the winter... that's it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I didn't expect you guys to take it so personally.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
        If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I didn't expect you guys to take it so personally.
        Should exercise caution when stepping on peoples dreams Fully. hahah

Comment

The thing that most intrigues me about the Tim Leiweke hiring as CEO of MLSE, is that it now gives the Owners a Face. It also leads me to believe they have reduced the role "the Board" will play.

He is now the guy we point to as our "Owner".
          Last edited by Joey; Fri Apr 26, 2013, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            If Phil wanted to sit on the pine I'd be ecstatic but running the team is a different beast. I'm not sold on this being a better choice than sticking with Colangelo in terms of which guy would make better personnel decisions but no doubt Phil brings a lot more prestige and this should not be underrated.

Bringing Phil in might be the overnight reputation overhaul that Raptors board is craving.
            If we could replace Colangelo with the inanimate carbon rod it would make a positive difference. I am only half-joking.

One more thought. The board would need to give up more control to get Phil. Are they willing to do that? (ie:they have veto power over Colangelo currently).
            Leiweke is in charge. That's why they hired him. They needed someone to run these teams. That's not Phil Jackson or Bryan Colangelo or the Leafs GM or the TFC GM. It's Leiweke. He was hands on in LA. I expect the same in Toronto.

Comment

Phil is not coming here.

He will basically have to sit on his hands for two years. They have no first rounder. No cap room. Little in tradable assets. With all due respect, he's 67 years old and has battled health problems in recent seasons. He's not taking a job where has to sit around for two seasons to start putting his fingerprints on it. I'm not convinced he's taking any position unless it's something with the Lakers again... I think he just likes the attention to a certain extent.

He has has two fake hips and a fake knee to boot. His long time partner Jeanie Buss lives in California. Unless they allow him to run the team from Cali himself, he's not coming to Toronto in the winter.
              For 1 year. Next year the Raptors GM position becomes the best in the NBA.

1-Gay, Field, Bargnani all become expiring contracts next summer. If they suck they are no longer untradedable
              2-Kyle Lowrys contract runs out next summer, either he is the "PG of the Future or you let him go" Win-Win
              3-By than you know if JV and Ross are trash, good, or really good.
              4-You get a 2014 Lottery Pick.
              5-Casey's contract runs out too, so you dont owe him a penny if he sucks.
              6-Kleiza, Lucas, Aaron Gray are a thing of the past

And Honestly you cant expect someone new to an organization to tear down everything on day 1 and for them to all be good moves. Take the Job now evaluate the situation for a year than make the moves you need to make, and he'll have plenty of room to get it done.

Canadian winter is gonna be a factor tough, you are right about that, hell i cant stand it and i was born in canadian winter.

Comment

Look, Phil Jackson has 11 NBA rings, helped teams win championship (obviously had great players too), but he was also able to bring teams together. Reason for the name, "Zen Master."

Bryan Colangelo has 0 NBA rings, helped teams reach mediocrity, and his best sell of hope if Andrea Bargnani.

Sure, let's just keep BC.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Just to throw it out there....

Jackson was born in Montana....went to college in North Dakota....spent his playing career in NY...and the first chunk of his coaching career in Chicago....why would he fear winter? I'm not suggesting it will necessarily play no part in any decision he makes, but there are few warm weather teams with the resources and opportunity he'd want, and those will play a bigger part than the weather in his decision...I'm sure by quite a wide margin.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Apr 26, 2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Just to throw it out there....

Jackson was born in Montana....went to college in North Dakota....spent his playing career in NY...and the first chunk of his coaching career in Chicago....why would he fear winter? I'm not suggesting it will necessarily play no part in any decision he makes, but there are few warm weather teams with the resources and opportunity he'd want, and those will play a bigger part than the weather in his decision...I'm sure by quite a wide margin.
                    Its not about preferences or being used to it, even if he loves snow, its a fact that cold temperatures exacerbates certain medical conditions. Joints especially

Comment

Ryan Wolstat ‏@WolstatSun 9m

"Raptors have to aspire to be Heat and Lakers, a team that people want to be a part of." Good luck with that #bonnechance
                      Nice to hear things like this but honestly say Phil says "pfffffffftttttt CANADA? where is that Fuck no lol LMAO *sniffs coke off his desk merp merp merp" Whats plan B?

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        Nice to hear things like this but honestly say Phil says "pfffffffftttttt CANADA? where is that Fuck no lol LMAO *sniffs coke off his desk merp merp merp" Whats plan B?
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Jackson lives in Montana, which is north of Toronto, latitude wise. Toronto winters are quite balmy compared to the average Montana winter.

Comment

It's not a secret that Phil battles chronic arthritis and problems with his hips/knees. It wasn't too long ago that he had all of the surgeries. He would often miss road games to end the season because his body couldn't handle the travel. I'm pretty sure he's on record saying that the warm climate of California keeps him comfortable and improves his quality of life. I just don't see him coming to Toronto for the winter... that's it. If I'm wrong, I'll admit I'm wrong. I didn't expect you guys to take it so personally.
                            Fully, you're wrong.

Michael Grange: One NBA source on Jackson to Toronto: 'he loves the city... he spends half the time in Montana anyway' Twitter @michaelgrange
                            Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#oVRkqRjCeicgkD82.99

Comment

Being a coach and being a GM are not the same thing. Coaching the Jordan-led Bulls and the Kobe / Shaq Lakers is not the same as building a team in Toronto.

I respect what Phil Jackson has done, but I'm not sure why so many think that he will be a miracle worker as a GM. He has to develop a team exactly the same way as every GM, and it isn't through some sort of "Zen" philosophy. Unless you can buy a championship (much more difficult in the cap era), champions will rely largely on a long-time coach and a consistent effective coaching philosophy (e.g. Popovic). What Pat Riley did with the Heat (now or with Wade and Shaq) didn't impress me all that much. If people are expecting that of Jackson, good luck.

The one thing that Jackson might bring to TO is respectability, and maybe some free agents (once they clear some cap space). How far his influence would extend on that front is a bit of an unknown, though.

Comment

Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                                Being a coach and being a GM are not the same thing. Coaching the Jordan-led Bulls and the Kobe / Shaq Lakers is not the same as building a team in Toronto.

I respect what Phil Jackson has done, but I'm not sure why so many think that he will be a miracle worker as a GM. He has to develop a team exactly the same way as every GM, and it isn't through some sort of "Zen" philosophy. Unless you can buy a championship (much more difficult in the cap era), champions will rely largely on a long-time coach and a consistent effective coaching philosophy (e.g. Popovic). What Pat Riley did with the Heat (now or with Wade and Shaq) didn't impress me all that much. If people are expecting that of Jackson, good luck.

The one thing that Jackson might bring to TO is respectability, and maybe some free agents (once they clear some cap space). How far his influence would extend on that front is a bit of an unknown, though.
                                To me it's less about phil jackson, and more about getting colangelo to piss off! This is not a good core, too many 1 dimensional players like derozan and bargnani eating large salary. Im certain bryan doesn't see it that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X