Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    This team would need to "overachieve" to make the 8th seed.
    Dam thats pessimistic lol as long as they dont have Bargs playoffs should be a given next season.

Comment

• Wow, I can't handle reading some of the stuff on this thread.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        Remeber 2008? When Colangelo had assembled the best team on paper he had ever had? Remember how that worked out? The only difference between the 2008/09 team and the coming 13/14 team is that the latter won't have a Chris Bosh to salvage the mess. JV is too young and inexperienced.
        Bosh was an established five year vet when Colangelo entered so yeah, no doubt JV can't help keep a team afloat right now, he's a support player for now. Not only that but his developmental curve may be different. I'm not saying he's going to develop into a lesser player than Chris Bosh in his prime but Bosh had a far better rookie season in my honest opinion so in terms of growth, JV isn't where Bosh was after season one. What he needs to do is take a page out of Chris Bosh's developmental process and pick one area of his game and focus on improving that one area in the off-season. Then next season his overall game will be more dynamic. The following off-season, pick another and the following, another. I would like him to pick big man skills though, that's the only difference. Bosh started in close, he had no mid range to speak of and when he caught the ball out there he used his speed to blow past defenders. unfortunately once he rounded out his offense he relied less and less on what should have been his bread and butter, in close. I want to see JV develop strong post moves and maybe one day an expert sky hook. That's the kind of scorer I'd like to see him become. No one can defend the skyhook. Time to go to class with some old timers, JV. (Oddly enough, a Lithuanian invented the hook.)

All that said, even if JV comes on strong in the next couple seasons and beyond you can't expect him to close out games. Not even the likes of Shaq and TD could close out games, they had guys like Kobe and Manu to shut the door with daggers. He needs some sidekicks with ice water in their veins.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
          All that said, even if JV comes on strong in the next couple seasons and beyond you can't expect him to close out games. Not even the likes of Shaq and TD could close out games, they had guys like Kobe and Manu to shut the door with daggers. He needs some sidekicks with ice water in their veins.
          I agree about the closing out games. Anyone on the current roster fit that bill?

Having said that, if you look at what Gasol and Noah and, to a lesser extent, Hibbert are doing for their teams, I could see JV developing into a guy like that who can dominate for stretches and put up highly productive numbers. It's actually kinda funny watching the current playoffs: every single team (other than Miami which doesnt' count cause of Lebron) is solid to good to very, very good at the C position.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            ...Suddenly the Raptors are trying to trade tainted goods from a position of weakness.....
            As opposed to the position of strength they would have if they started trying to trade their "untainted" goods now? :-)

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              ...JV... needs some sidekicks with ice water in their veins.
              As opposed to cataracts on their eyes.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                Dam thats pessimistic lol as long as they dont have Bargs playoffs should be a given next season.
                I've been screwed with this kind of unsubstantiated optimism before. I refuse to let that happen again.

I should've learned my lesson with the Jays. This team is sh!t until proven otherwise.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  As opposed to cataracts on their eyes.
                  LOL indeed.

slaw wrote: View Post
                  I agree about the closing out games. Anyone on the current roster fit that bill?

Having said that, if you look at what Gasol and Noah and, to a lesser extent, Hibbert are doing for their teams, I could see JV developing into a guy like that who can dominate for stretches and put up highly productive numbers. It's actually kinda funny watching the current playoffs: every single team (other than Miami which doesnt' count cause of Lebron) is solid to good to very, very good at the C position.
                  Right, so JV developing into an opposing force in the paint only shores up one aspect of what the Raptors require to be successful once they eventually crawl out of mediocrity.

It sure would help to have some draft picks...

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                    Remeber 2008? When Colangelo had assembled the best team on paper he had ever had? Remember how that worked out? The only difference between the 2008/09 team and the coming 13/14 team is that the latter won't have a Chris Bosh to salvage the mess. JV is too young and inexperienced. This team has no elite players. You can't win without at least one. Maybe JV is that guy but not right now.

Toronto is not Indy or Memphis or Chicago. Neither the individual talent level nor the roster construction is on par. This team's ceiling isn't Round 2. It's 9th place. Again, maybe JV can change that but it's a lot to ask a second year player who can't get his on hands on the ball cause the perimeter guys need 55 shots a game. I'd love to watch a good Raps team. But this iteration isn't it.
                    The talent is certainly higher than it has been in many years - which is not saying much unfortunately.

I don't think talent is being maximized and a big part of that is not only roster construction but how players are being used (in particular Lowry) or not used (in particular JV).

But even with all that said, I am not seeing a championship with this group of players, coaches, and management. If that is pessimistic so be it. I'd love to be proven incorrect - again.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      As opposed to the position of strength they would have if they started trying to trade their "untainted" goods now? :-)
                      Good point.

But at least right now they are a team that is 'supposedly' making progress and moving forward.... what is the word? Ahhhh, right! POTENTIAL!

If they come out next year as a .350 to .400 team - again - good luck making changes that will need to be made and getting anything in return.

Comment

Working...
                      X