Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything happen yet?

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Anything happen yet?
      Well, Eric Koreen tweeted me it would be late in the afternoon - which should be soon.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

But Sportsnet recently posted ths so I guess it is "that" meeting

Sportsnet ‏@Sportsnet

#Raptors president and GM Bryan Colangelo will meet with the MLSE board on Tuesday to discuss his future. http://bit.ly/12bzT8Q #NBA

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          I dont know I read this and havent seen any other tweets.
          The decision likely won't be made today, but BC is begging for his job as we speak. And from my understanding, that was the main purpose of the meeting; however, Michael Grange may be proving me wrong.

Comment

If no one else is tweeting that it's just "routine", then are Michael Grange's sources coming into question?
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
              If no one else is tweeting that it's just "routine", then are Michael Grange's sources coming into question?
              This is my belief, yes.

And in fact, we now have confirmation that Leiweke IS sitting in on the meeting, via National Post:
              National Post wrote:
              Multiple sources told the National Post that Colangelo met with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment’s board of directors on Tuesday, including new company president and chief executive officer, Tim Leiweke.
              However, theres also this nugget:
              National Post wrote:
              It was not immediately clear if Tuesday’s meeting was going to influence MLSE one way or the other — the meeting had been scheduled since before the season ended.
              So its still not quite clear that the initial intent of the meeting was.
              I'm sticking with the idea that MLSE Managers Outlook Calendars read "BC Begs for his Job Today".
              Last edited by Joey; Tue May 7, 2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

For me, it's ridiculous to think that this meeting changes anything either way. The guy has been around for 7 years. He has a track record going back into the 90s with Phoenix. If you don't know what you have in Colangelo by now, well, I don't know what to say - you have no idea what you are doing and are so dense you should immediately be euthanized. You either want him or you don't. You can't be up in the air on this guy after 7 years. You just can't.

I have no idea what will happen but all I can do is look at TFC and the Leafs where MLSE chopped people on a moment's notice. Yet, here we are still without any answer on BC. It's very odd.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  For me, it's ridiculous to think that this meeting changes anything either way. The guy has been around for 7 years. He has a track record going back into the 90s with Phoenix. If you don't know what you have in Colangelo by now, well, I don't know what to say - you have no idea what you are doing and are so dense you should immediately be euthanized. You either want him or you don't. You can't be up in the air on this guy after 7 years. You just can't.

I have no idea what will happen but all I can do is look at TFC and the Leafs where MLSE chopped people on a moment's notice. Yet, here we are still without any answer on BC. It's very odd.

Raptors next #1 hit?

Comment

This is the type of hiring I find very interesting.

http://www.nba.com/suns/suns-name-mc...eneral-manager

The 33-year-old McDonough is considered one of the game’s brightest young minds, who combines a tireless work ethic with an expertise in player evaluation honed over the past 10 years at virtually every level of an NBA franchise’s basketball operations.

McDonough joins the Suns after most recently serving the past three seasons as the assistant general manager of the Boston Celtics, where he assisted Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge on all basketball-related matters, while being principally responsible for the draft evaluation of college and international players. He combines the experience of nearly a decade of in-person scouting of prospects across the globe with an understanding of advanced metrics and statistical analysis. During his tenure with the Celtics, Boston made two appearances in the NBA Finals, and claimed the 2008 title.

McDonough joined the Celtics front office in 2003 as a 23-year-old special assistant to basketball operations, rapidly moving up the team’s ranks with increased responsibility at each stop, always with an emphasis in talent evaluation. He spent four seasons as a special assistant, a role that included a great deal of video scouting work (2003-07), one season as director of amateur scouting (2007-08), one season as director of international scouting (2008-09), and two seasons as director of player personnel (2008-10) before his promotion to assistant general manager in Sept. 2010.

McDonough played a prominent role in the front office of a club that has kept a veteran-led roster in the playoffs the last six consecutive seasons thanks to an infusion of young talent acquired through quality late first-round draft picks and trades. Included in that list are the draft-day acquisition of four-time All-Star Rajon Rondo in 2006, and the 2010 selection of Avery Bradley, who was one of the NBA’s most improved players in 2012-13.

Everyone was panning Orlando and Rob Hennigan and after one year on the job he has shown a lot of people they were incredibly short sighted. Tobias Harris for JJ Redick still blows my mind.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Everyone was panning Orlando and Rob Hennigan and after one year on the job he has shown a lot of people they were incredibly short sighted. Tobias Harris for JJ Redick still blows my mind.
                      John Hammond really blew that one. Especially as a manager of a team that desperately needs an SF (sorry Mbah a Moute).

Tobias is going to be the centerpiece of Orlando for years to come.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...or-his-future/

Grange: Colangelo fights for his future (edit: an apt description)

Make no mistake: the only person with their finger on the trap door beneath Bryan Colangelo’s chair is the guy who’s not even officially his boss yet.

Tim Leiweke was cautiously cryptic on the subject of the Toronto Raptors executive’s future after it was announced he would be starting as the president and chief executive officer of MLSE on June 30.
                        It gets more interesting....

Tellingly, multiple sources close to MLSE paint a picture of Colangelo as having embraced the presence of Leiweke rather than cowering at the possibility that a new executive with a very public mandate to win championships would be looking to make his first splash by showing him the door, or opening the trap door, if you will.
                        And this...

Colangelo hasn’t been passive about the process. He wants to stay in Toronto and he wants prove his view that the Raptors are well positioned to be a playoff team in a rapidly shifting Eastern Conference sooner rather than later.

Rather than wait for the axe to swing, a determined Colangelo flew to meet Leiweke at an undisclosed location late last week and met with him again over the weekend in Toronto, according to sources.
                        If Colangelo survives another year, well, you have to hand it to the guy. He can't win basketball games but he can stay employed. Kudos to him for that.

Comment

• Sounds like Colangelo is using reverse psychology by accepting Leiweke, instead of fearing him.

He may not be able to keep his job, but damn. He's a smart guy.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...or-his-future/

Grange: Colangelo fights for his future (edit: an apt description)

It gets more interesting....

And this...

If Colangelo survives another year, well, you have to hand it to the guy. He can't win basketball games but he can stay employed. Kudos to him for that.

Two things with that article:

1) Raptors have paid luxury tax in the past.

2) Asset management:

The question, ultimately, is whether Leiweke wants to make the Raptors relevant now or roll the dice and reverse the rebuild with an eye towards the deep 2014 draft. It’s a riskier route, though one that might give the franchise a higher ceiling in the long term.

Colangelo believes his team is too far down a path to take a backward step now and has been determinedly scrapping to make his voice heard.

The betting now is that Leiweke will listen and the trap door will remain closed underneath Colangelo, giving him at least one more year to prove that he’s put together the core of a team that can win.
                            You wait to see if the current team can win, ok, alright, but what if their ceiling is the 2nd round? Or worse what happens if they don't win. Suddenly the Raptors are trying to trade tainted goods from a position of weakness. If you are proactive in acquiring picks and flexibility you will likely raise your return (i.e. Utah/Deron Williams). Trading away your 'best' players does not necessarily lead to a drop off: Denver have made out well after trade (except for injuries) as have Atlanta.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

You wait to see if the current team can win, ok, alright, but what if their ceiling is the 2nd round? Or worse what happens if they don't win. Suddenly the Raptors are trying to trade tainted goods from a position of weakness. If you are proactive in acquiring picks and flexibility you will likely raise your return (i.e. Utah/Deron Williams). Trading away your 'best' players does not necessarily lead to a drop off: Denver have made out well after trade (except for injuries) as have Atlanta.
                              Remeber 2008? When Colangelo had assembled the best team on paper he had ever had? Remember how that worked out? The only difference between the 2008/09 team and the coming 13/14 team is that the latter won't have a Chris Bosh to salvage the mess. JV is too young and inexperienced. This team has no elite players. You can't win without at least one. Maybe JV is that guy but not right now.

Toronto is not Indy or Memphis or Chicago. Neither the individual talent level nor the roster construction is on par. This team's ceiling isn't Round 2. It's 9th place. Again, maybe JV can change that but it's a lot to ask a second year player who can't get his on hands on the ball cause the perimeter guys need 55 shots a game. I'd love to watch a good Raps team. But this iteration isn't it.

Comment

• This team would need to "overachieve" to make the 8th seed.

Comment

Working...
                                X