Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    I'm not going to claim I know much of anything about Leiweke, and didn't even know he existed before yesterday (in fact I kept hearing Witwicky, which got me thinking about transformers, which got me thinking about Megan Fox, which got me.... well I'm off topic here)

But from the what little it is I know I can say:

- It would a pure guess if I claimed whether he would make changes in regards to Colangelo, but I think this doesn't make a "option pick up and see the season play out" as straightforward as it once was.

- sounded so much like Colangelo. Classic business world shop talk. I've always disliked it - alot of abstract or vague wording, atleast in the way its used, that means alot or very little all at once. Not necessarily relevant I guess, just makes me cringe.

- I'd be more impressed with his resume if he grew mid or small market sports franchises into something special rather than one of the two premium markets in the US.

- definetely taking a wait and see approach with what he does (or doesn't do) with this team and MLSE in general. Is this a 'we want a guy to look after our sports franchises' scenario, with impunity? freedom? on a leash? as a face? Does this open MLSE's wallets a bit further? Is this about bringing relevance to their sports franchises (lets be honest, the Raptors and TFC aside, even for the largest and wealthiest team in a sport - the leafs aren't on the same relevancy scale as the Yankees, Lakers, Knicks, Giants etc. in their respective sports) Or is this more about setting the stage for the NFL in Toronto?

All said a done, I'm definetely not opposed to some changes at the top of the food chain.
    I agree with all of this, especially the bold. I'm not going to pretend I know much about him either, but I found some very interesting information researching this guy.

He joined and became president of AEG in 1996, which just so happened to be the year a guy named Shaquille O'Neal signed with the Lakers. Does he have the ability to make these types of moves consistently? Looks as though he became a part of the group at the right time.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
      I agree with all of this, especially the bold. I'm not going to pretend I know much about him either, but I found some very interesting information researching this guy.

He joined and became president of AEG in 1996, which just so happened to be the year a guy named Shaquille O'Neal signed with the Lakers. Does he have the ability to make these types of moves consistently? Looks as though he became a part of the group at the right time.
      And then Shaquille left and another championship team built.

He was a part of winners across multiple sports and built an entertainment empire as well. The guy is more than a flashy suit and bravado. Whereas bc was style over substance Leiweke can just smile and knowingly nod.

Also his first professional sports job was with the nuggets. He knows the nba.

Comment

I think the most interesting thing about Leiweke is that he brought Beckham to LA. That is thinking outside the box 10-fold and that is the kind of thing the Raptors need to become relevant.

In basketball you need a stud to succeed and if Leiweke believes in that approach to success this can only be a good thing.

I do think he will get rid of Bryan.. He will allow Stefanski to do the day to day GM job in the interim until they can find someone long term. Casey will be back next season since he's got one more year left anyway. I don't think PJ will be here, but they will consider him strongly.

The fact that there is not a lot of wiggle room (no draft picks, no cap space).. it just makes sense that they remain status quo for one year before making big changes. The only change I can see is dumping Bargnani, and that becomes a lot easier without Bryan in the way as that might become very personal to him.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          Do you really believe the triangle would benefit this team?
          Yes.

Movement is the essence of the offense and can lead to a lot of corner threes which is something I do have confidence dd and gay can hit

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Yes.

Movement is the essence of the offense and can lead to a lot of corner threes which is something I do have confidence dd and gay can hit
            Ideally you want a PG that's a good spot up shooter and a good low post center that's also good at passing the ball. Lowry doesn't seem to fit that bill (he's a good spot up shooter but would he be happy with that role?)... and will JV improve his passing enough to help facilitate the ball movement?

However if Phil/Shaw do come on board wouldn't a Gasol trade make a lot of sense?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Ideally you want a PG that's a good spot up shooter and a good low post center that's also good at passing the ball. Lowry doesn't seem to fit that bill (he's a good spot up shooter but would he be happy with that role?)... and will JV improve his passing enough to help facilitate the ball movement?

However if Phil/Shaw do come on board wouldn't a Gasol trade make a lot of sense?
              Jv is an intelligent player and he will work with sabonis each summer. I think he can play in any system to be honest.

If Lowry is not happy with that role, ok, goodbye.

With or without Jackson I think gasol is a good move.

Comment

I slept on it and I think in the next couple of months you see:

- BC and DC fired

- PJax hired

- Shaw hired to coach
                I hope you are right. Matt your opinion has credibility in this forum.....

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  I hope you are right. Matt your opinion has credibility in this forum.....
                  Thanks but it shouldn't. We are all talking out of our ass here and, as far as I know, no one is directly connected to the raptors - at least I am not.

But I do appreciate the comment - thank you.

Comment

He's an 11 time champion, he should have the concept of what it takes to build a winner.

Move BC into the role of President, let him work with Jackson to ease him into the intricacies of being a GM.

With Jackson in the role of GM he can advise Casey as head coach, not to affect his record. have him evaluate Casey's performance next season, if he fails, let him walk. Jackson brings in a coach of choice.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
                      He's an 11 time champion, he should have the concept of what it takes to build a winner.

Move BC into the role of President, let him work with Jackson to ease him into the intricacies of being a GM.

With Jackson in the role of GM he can advise Casey as head coach, not to affect his record. have him evaluate Casey's performance next season, if he fails, let him walk. Jackson brings in a coach of choice.
                      I like this idea.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

If Jackson enters, do you think they pull a revamp on this team? I mean we do have quite a few pieces to work with. I think a change in strategy could develop a better system for this team's success
                        in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

You don't bring in a new head coach and keep the old one as an assistant.

I don't think you do the same in this situation either.

Comment

koncept wrote: View Post
                            If Jackson enters, do you think they pull a revamp on this team? I mean we do have quite a few pieces to work with. I think a change in strategy could develop a better system for this team's success
                            Good question. I have been thinking about that all day.

Comment

You don't bring in a new head coach and keep the old one as an assistant.

I don't think you do the same in this situation either.
                              Well you can pretty much say the same about Ed Stefanski what was the point in bringing him in when you know BC is going to make all the decisions him self.

Comment

Well you can pretty much say the same about Ed Stefanski what was the point in bringing him in when you know BC is going to make all the decisions him self.
                                Right but the power structure was still in place and well known - BC is still the boss. You can't hire PHIL Jackson and tell colangelo you report to him now and PHIL he final say

Comment

Working...
                                X