Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With Leiweke on board, what happens to Colangelo now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Right but the power structure was still in place and well known - BC is still the boss. You can't hire PHIL Jackson and tell colangelo you report to him now and PHIL he final say
    I get what your saying and if there is anyway you can get Phil Jackson then all i can say is goodbye BC dont let the door hit you on the way out.

Comment

"Cleveland Cavaliers have reached out to Phil Jackson about their head coach opening, sources told ESPN.com.

Jackson is considering other coaching options, sources said. The Brooklyn Nets and possibly the Sacramento Kings -- if they relocate to Seattle -- are two teams likely to appeal to Jackson more than the Cavaliers, according to sources close to the situation".

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/91...on-sources-say

Brooklyn is the only team close to having star players to mesh, JJ (31), Wallace (30), Deron (28) aren't young. The core of that team IMO is basically Lopez & Deron, Can't see that team lasting very long before a possible rebuild.

"Jackson is believed to be looking for a similar situation as Pat Riley has with the Miami Heat -- oversee personnel moves and mentor a head coach. To land and keep Riley, the Heat gave him a deal that included an ownership stake in the franchise".

I think the quote I highlighted is going to play the biggest factor - part ownership. The 2 teams mentioned as preference Brooklyn, Seattle.

JayZ is selling his stock in Brooklyn
      Kings are moving to a new ownership group in Seattle.
      Last edited by bounty; Sat Apr 27, 2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
        "Cleveland Cavaliers have reached out to Phil Jackson about their head coach opening, sources told ESPN.com.

Jackson is considering other coaching options, sources said. The Brooklyn Nets and possibly the Sacramento Kings -- if they relocate to Seattle -- are two teams likely to appeal to Jackson more than the Cavaliers, according to sources close to the situation".

Brooklyn is the only team close to having star players to mesh, JJ (31), Wallace (30), Deron (28) aren't young. The core of that team IMO is basically Lopez & Deron, Can't see that team lasting very long before a possible rebuild.

"Jackson is believed to be looking for a similar situation as Pat Riley has with the Miami Heat -- oversee personnel moves and mentor a head coach. To land and keep Riley, the Heat gave him a deal that included an ownership stake in the franchise".

To bring you up to date...

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...ording-sources
        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Colangelo said all kinds of wonderfully inspiring soundbites when he landed with the Raptors; it amounted to squat.

I'm entering this phase highly skeptical. I've watched this team since day one, this isn't my first time witnessing the preludes to a "hanging" and a new appointment.

Ah, there you have it.
          I know, really.

Yet despite knowing history and having fallen once before "hook, line, sinker", I can't contain my enthusiasm - especially when he is putting it out there for all to hear the Raptors are priority #1.

I think BC goes, Casey too.

Phil is brought in to run the show and Shaw is hired.

Triangle, here we come.

Politely. And something I do rarely.

"Kill him. Kill him with guns."

Goodbye BC. You've failed us for the last time.
          “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Colangelo said all kinds of wonderfully inspiring soundbites when he landed with the Raptors; it amounted to squat.

I'm entering this phase highly skeptical. I've watched this team since day one, this isn't my first time witnessing the preludes to a "hanging" and a new appointment.

Ah, there you have it.
            white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            This...please God, gods, spirits, demons, ancestors or whoever the heck else you worship...let THIS be true.
            “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

If he is serious about competing for championships, good bye BC.

Crazy thought:

With the hoopla, joy, and optimism a hiring of Leiweke's calibre, does this allow the Raptors/MLSE to fire Colangelo giving the time and opportunity to go in another direction (i.e. taking a step back to move multiple steps forward and chase championships) without total anarchy from Raptor fans?

Lets face it, unless JV becomes a dominant, legendary, all-star I cannot see Toronto competing for championships in the next 4 years. Maybe they make 2nd/Conference Final run (I doubt it) but that would be it, not championships.

By the way, I changed my signature so we never forget and raise our expectations above just making the playoffs.
              Wait, I could've sworn you almost proposed to send JV + parts to LA for Dwight Howard (given the LA connection).
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

No way that BC's option is picked up at this point. Lieweke wants to make changes. He's talking championships not making the 1st round. That in itself is enough to kill any speculation. The Raps are a hamster in a wheel. It's time to let the hamster go (BC).
                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post

I think the quote I highlighted is going to play the biggest factor - part ownership. The 2 teams mentioned as preference Brooklyn, Seattle.

JayZ is selling his stock in Brooklyn
                  Kings are moving to a new ownership group in Seattle.
                  While Toronto has a GM position opening up completely, and with Leiweke's recent comments, I don't (and some others) see BC back.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Bryan Coangelo's departure will be the highlight of the season for me.
                    in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

I haven't read a confirmed source yet so we can all just speculate but I am also leaning towards "Colangelo will be fired". It won't matter if Stefanski stays for a "puppet" purpose. It would be only until a new GM is hired. I think that Leiweke approach is the right one - so he will definitely make an offer to Phil Jackson. It would be up to Phil if he agrees - and we may never know the exact offer. But Leiweke strikes me as a great businessman and as such he MUST make an offer to Phil. I just don't see how he wouldn't. Also he will check the "results" Colangelo accomplished here and he will notice there are none.
                      Great hiring. I am looking forward to the changes Leiweke will make.

Comment

Arse on the homepage noticed the very striking disconnect between Leiweke's approach to Toronto (great city, compete with any) to Colangelo's (we need to overspend, we are at a disadvantage).

I have never been a fan of the "boo hoo Toronto" excuses. Win and these things won't and don't matter.

I am tired of Colangelo. For all the talk of culture change in the last 2 years, the previous 5 years saw Colangelo in charge. I don't think he would have called himself or the team a loser in 2006-2008 when they had playoff appearances so this loser mentality has come about on his watch.

Comment

Leiweke's going to blow it up. I don't know if he's going to bring in Phil or Shaw (that would be amazing though) but he seems like a pretty intelligent guy and you don't need a high IQ to tell BC isn't ever going to make the team dominant.
                          Last edited by ceez; Mon Apr 29, 2013, 11:34 AM.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

well yes. Toronto may be a "small market" popularity wise among NBA players but it ain't really small market considering MLSE and that is it the 4th biggest city in North America.

Comment

What I've wondered and don't know anything about: is there big difference between the taxes for players when they play in Toronto in comparison with American cities which would make them expect a higher salary to get the same net salary?

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                                What I've wondered and don't know anything about: is there big difference between the taxes for players when they play in Toronto in comparison with American cities which would make them expect a higher salary to get the same net salary?
                                I have wondered that too. What is that actual difference in percentages?

Comment

Working...
                                X