Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Still no news..... this is troubling.
    Nuggets owner is known for listening to fans. Maybe they will match those $9 mils.

Comment

• Masai Ujiri, the Nuggets' executive vice president of basketball operations (i.e., general manager), might leave the Nuggets? To return to the Toronto Raptors? Mainly, over money?
      After the news broke that the Nuggets had granted the Raptors the right to speak with Ujiri about their vacant GM job, Josh Kroenke seemed to toss out a challenge involving honor to Ujiri. He indicated that he believed he and Ujiri had reached an agreement in principle on a new deal before the Raptors' approach.
      From Denver Post, interesting article: http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23...ver-by-kroenke

Looks like Nuggets management is throwing the "honour" card in his face. I think if both teams offer the same amount of money, we'll see Ujiri signing back with Denver.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Still no news..... this is troubling.
        It's Memorial Day in the States. If you were going to hear anything, it would probably be tomorrow.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          From Denver Post, interesting article: http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23...ver-by-kroenke

Looks like Nuggets management is throwing the "honour" card in his face. I think if both teams offer the same amount of money, we'll see Ujiri signing back with Denver.
          They didn't sign on the dotted line. That's the Nuggets problem, they should no better. They also let him talk with Toronto. If this "deal" was in the books, talking with Toronto would have zero relevance and therefore a waste of time and not worth allowing. It's not like they wouldn't toss him under the bus if opportunity called. Pro ball can be cut throat.

I don't think the Raptors go in with an offer on par with Denver, they're gonna beat it, they must know they have to beat it and beat it by a material amount. The man has a good thing going there, the Raptors need to pry him away and prying isn't a subtle gesture, it's an aggressive move.

Comment

• When a president calls out his former GM and questions his honor in the public media? he's out bro.

Comment

• Seems like nothing is imminent

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...rn-with-ujiri/

The Toronto Raptors pursuit of Masai Ujiri to fill their vacant general’s manager position is in a holding pattern for the moment.

The Denver Nuggets general manager and reigning NBA Executive of the Year was offered the position over the weekend — with Yahoo Sports reporting that a contingent from MLSE met with Ujiri in Denver on Friday.
              Money....

It has been reported that Ujiri is the lowest-salaried GM in the NBA, earning about $500,000 a year, or half of the league’s average. According to NBA sources the Raptors have offered Ujiri a four-year deal worth about $9 million.

Comment

• aussie

wha do you think hsppens with ujiri. denver will go backwards if he lesves

Bill Ingram

I think he takes the Toronto job because the Raps are offering too much money for him to turn down, according to a source with knowledge of the offer. That doesn’t mean Denver will go backwards, however, unless they really botch the GM hire. There are some good guys still looking for front office jobs, starting with the man who was largely responsible for building the Pacers – former GM David Morway.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...l-ingram-52613
                One opinion.

Comment

• Not so fast apparently....from Michael Grange:

A source familiar with the situation said that rather than the deal being close it was “far from it” with Ujiri now carefully working through competing opportunities, with the Nuggets having made a determined offer to keep him Denver.

“There has been an offer made, but there’s a little bit of a cycle to go through here,” said another league source.
                  http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...rn-with-ujiri/

Comment

• So he was making half the league average, the Raptors are offering twice the league average.

Bendit, just read your post. You know what I think is going on. He's going to handle the Raptors and Nuggets just like he handled the Knicks and Nets...

Comment

• I just want the guy in charge to come in already until the GM is here Raps are literally at a stand still. Not a good look either for Leiweke who comes in to much praise only to fail his first 2 targets 1.Phil 2.Masai 0-2 ? ouch welcome to Toronto buddy Leiweke, its not easy bringing "winners" to a city with a reputation of perpetual losing.

Comment

I just want the guy in charge to come in already until the GM is here Raps are literally at a stand still. Not a good look either for Leiweke who comes in to much praise only to fail his first 2 targets 1.Phil 2.Masai 0-2 ? ouch welcome to Toronto buddy Leiweke, its not easy bringing "winners" to a city with a reputation of perpetual losing.
                        You should respect him for having balls and making bold moves, we didn't had such guy for.... I don't remember.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Bryan Colangelo was not asked to remain general manager of the Toronto Raptors, but he did accept a non-basketball corporate position within the organization.

MLSE hired Tim Leiweke as CEO and he decided the Raptors needed to make a change in the front office.

"It's a unique situation for me to be in, but not an ideal one," said Colangelo.

Colangelo was named the 2005 Executive of the Year with the Phoenix Suns and again in 2007 with the Raptors.

realgm.com
                          I wonder if Colangelo is trying to send the message for other organizations to hire him as GM. Nuggets and Raps should do a trade up trade haha

Comment

I just want the guy in charge to come in already until the GM is here Raps are literally at a stand still. Not a good look either for Leiweke who comes in to much praise only to fail his first 2 targets 1.Phil 2.Masai 0-2 ? ouch welcome to Toronto buddy Leiweke, its not easy bringing "winners" to a city with a reputation of perpetual losing.
                            You don't get to the top without having a plan C. You don't know about plan C because plan B is still in the works. The ball is in Ujiri's court right now based on the reports.

Comment

• Was Phil even in the plans? The media speculated that he might be because of the connection with Leiweke, but was it really something that Tim pursued? He's friends with Phil. I'm sure he threw the idea at him, but I'm also pretty sure it wasn't something that he really considered. I think Ujiri is Plan A, not Plan B.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post

seems ironic to use the 'honor' card when Ujiri gets one of the lowest salaries.

Comment

Working...
                                X