Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marz wrote: View Post
    Why does everyone want the Zen Master so bad? He's a coach, and he's never been anything more.
    Inspite of the fact that some discussion has already taken place in response to this post I'd like to say that in most cases this is and should be absolutely true BUT P Jackson is an exception. I agree that there's an obsession with this idea due to Phil being a legendary Coach but if a shrewd, reputed and successful Executive like Tim L'ke is pursuing him, it can't be due to an obsession. Yes there's no proof that L'ke is pursuing him but it's hard to believe that he's not.

The ideal management team in my opinion should be Jackson, Colangelo and Stephanski. This shouldn't be difficult as the later two are already in place. This way Colangelo would get a fair last chance and with Jackson's input, there should be some meaningful tweaks and maybe even major trades. If things don't work, Colangelo and Stephanski could be removed and Jackson can take over. The experience would serve as a nice induction and transition for Jackson.

Just my opinion.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Phil Jackson as the president, he will flip DeRozan into Kobe, book it.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
        Inspite of the fact that some discussion has already taken place in response to this post I'd like to say that in most cases this is and should be absolutely true BUT P Jackson is an exception. I agree that there's an obsession with this idea due to Phil being a legendary Coach but if a shrewd, reputed and successful Executive like Tim L'ke is pursuing him, it can't be due to an obsession. Yes there's no proof that L'ke is pursuing him but it's hard to believe that he's not.

The ideal management team in my opinion should be Jackson, Colangelo and Stephanski. This shouldn't be difficult as the later two are already in place. This way Colangelo would get a fair last chance and with Jackson's input, there should be some meaningful tweaks and maybe even major trades. If things don't work, Colangelo and Stephanski could be removed and Jackson can take over. The experience would serve as a nice induction and transition for Jackson.

Just my opinion.
        I totally agree with the above statement. I am not sure why people are getting so carried away. And why everyone wants Colangelo gone. I think we would just be adding Phil to the picture without anyone being removed. Colangelo is just as well connected as L'ke. So guys you need to take a step back and look at the above, that is the ideal picture. Not addition by subtraction.

And there is no guarantee that Phil is coming here, so don't get all ramped up to get shot down. Keep things in perspective.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
          Phil Jackson as the president, he will flip DeRozan into Kobe, book it.
          totally

Comment

Comment

Goodness gracious. I'm still in denial the fact that PJ isn't coming over for coaching..
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                is this real?

Comment

So NBA.com has a posting on this really picking up steam over night (they dont report rumors)

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...s=iref:nbahpts

the comments is all LA fans saying no way no way Phil should run LA or coach LA again.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    is this real?
                    He got surgery so he could have 12 digits (2 donated from Jon Stockton) for his 11 Rings

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      is this real?
                      Yes

Comment

Are the positions of General Manager and President different?

Or is it 2 different ways to name/call the same position?

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post

Haha, good question, and the answer is both! PJ could be the President and defacto GM like Riley, or he could just be President and have a GM as well to more or less do his bidding. The main point though is PJ would be the one making all coaching/roster decisions, which is all that matters.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post

Strictly speaking, I've always understood the roles to be different, though often filled by a single person.

The GM's duties include:
                            - managing coaching staff, including hiring/firing
                            - roster management, such as drafting players, negotiating contracts and trading

The President's duties include:
                            - managing GM and executive staff, including hiring/firing
                            - liaison between ownership and managment
                            - overseeing management of all team departments, both team (GM) and organization related (senior managers from various standard corporate departments, such as HR, finance, marketing, etc...)

In the Pat Riley role, Jackson would become the President and either also be the GM or rule over a GM. In an advisory role, he could either be the President or sit in a special role between the President in GM, so that it's his strategic direction that the GM implements.

Of course, this is all based on assumption and conjecture, based on following far too many teams for far too long...

Comment

*palm to head*

That's so confusing...

If the president makes all of the player decisions, trade choices, etc. What would a GM under the president do? Manage supporting staff ie: coaches, training, roadtrips, hotels???

Comment

It's worth mentioning that some organizations have a specific title for president of basketball operations, which is going to be an overseer of the GM, but would not include some presidential oversight like finance and marketing. And in some organizations, this is described as a vice-president position. I think if you compared all the org-charts of every NBA team and the duties of each role, few would match with one another. I never really understood how the relationship between Colangelo and Stefanski was supposed to work. It should be that Stefanski as vice president of basketball operations, should be GM Colangelo's boss, but then president Colangelo is vice-president Stefanski's boss. I suspect that Stefanski doesn't have near the authority that other VPs of basketball operations have.

I think in the case of Jackson, if he's interested in a position, you figure out how he thinks he can be of use to you, what he wants to do, what responsibilities your comfortable with him handling, and then craft a role for him, in terms of job description. The actual job title is secondary to the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X