Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    As president of what?
    Basketball operations?

Comment

• http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...ounce-changes/

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment President and CEO Tim Leiweke announced Tuesday that he has revamped the senior leadership of the Toronto Raptors in preparation for next season. Bryan Colangelo has had his contract extended as the team’s President and will report directly to Mr. Leiweke. The club has also created a new position of General Manager that will have final authority on all basketball-related decisions. At this time, with input from Colangelo, Leiweke is conducting a search to identify candidates and expects to name the new GM in the next 30 days.

“After thorough evaluation and considering all the options, we have concluded that these changes will be in the best interest of the organization,” said Leiweke. “By splitting the roles and having both men report directly to me, we are adding depth to the basketball operations group and giving the Toronto Raptors the best chance of competing for championships in the future. The new GM will inherit a great situation in Toronto, as all of my due diligence around the League indicates that we have a fine, young core and a few key moves will make us a playoff contender next season.”

While the General Manager will have autonomy over basketball decisions, Colangelo will continue to advise Leiweke on basketball-related matters while also broadening his involvement with the business side of the franchise. “The future of this team and this organization excites me more than ever, and I am looking forward to being part of our future success,” said Colangelo. “I will add whatever is necessary to help improve our basketball team while also expanding my efforts to increase brand awareness and influence growth of the game across this great country.”

“Bryan is skilled, knowledgeable and respected across the NBA and will be a resource that we count on to help build the Raptors into Canada’s team,” said Leiweke.

MLSE also announced that Leiweke would move up his official start date from July 1 to June 3 at the suggestion of the Board.

Comment

• Of note,

"The new GM will inherit a great situation in Toronto, as all of my due diligence around the League indicates that we have a fine, young core and a few key moves will make us a playoff contender next season.

Comment

• meaning trading Bargnani and Fields for something useful get a pick for Kabongo.

Comment

• @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Stepping up his start date to June 3rd? This is good news.

Comment

• *sigh of relief* well atleast we know they aren't planning on blowing it all up

Comment

• That's one bizarre press conference......

Comment

• From various twitters,

- Colangelo kept on because of sheer number of years of experience, Leiweke doesn't want to lose that. Will place him in roles to offer insight but GM+Leiweke have final say. Also to manage, foster, and grow Basketball in Canada.
                    - BC wanted to stay as GM, Leiweke disagreed. If BC wants to leave, they will let him go.
                    - Leiweke heading the search for new GM personally
                    - New GM within a month
                    - No budget for new GM, Leiweke will spend to win
                    - New GM will have immediate control of raptors, management, coaches, players all expendable

Comment

• This is all boardroom politics. You cannot sell this in good faith cause it makes no sense. Colangelo is a basketball guy, not a businessman. MLSE could find 1,000 other guys better suited to a non-basketball role than BC. Hopefully, this doesn't screw up the GM search....

Comment

• Couple of interesting tidbits: new basketball training facility to be built; 2016 ASG - sounds like Raps going all out for it; re-branding the team?

That last one could be interesting....

Comment

• I guess Phil Jackson didn't return Leiweke's phone call. The first big decision he makes and it's a dud.

Comment

• man Leiweke's doing an amazing job passive aggressively ridiculing BC without directly coming out and saying "this guy had no idea what he was doing"
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Re-branding meaning what exactly?

Comment

• Didnt BC promise Stefanski the gm job? If Stefanski gets it (if noone else wants it) that should get a lot of LOLs.

Comment

Working...
                                X