Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing I took away from that hour long video is when SVG mentioned that he disagrees with the sentiment that giving rookies (young players) heavy minutes from the start constitutes to good development. I should probably look back to see where that part falls in the video ....

Never the less, I was sort of amused because I thought about Ross and Valanciunas not getting the 'minutes' and Casey relying more on the vets. Maybe he actually wants to teach these young guns the way... just maybe.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• @Torch19 - I think along with that you need to be able to discern what would work better for individual players. This is pure speculation BUT perhaps someone with JVs motor and determination would do better playing big minutes and self correcting on the fly where as someone like Terrence Ross, a player in which taking the correct shots is crucial, getting the quick hook might be more beneficial. I repeat this is 100% speculation, but I have to assume the coaches know the players better than I. I think Washington and Sacramento are the perfect example of why rookies need boundaries.
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        I agree. I would love to see SVG in Toronto. This is not promising for next season or beyond though:
        Money talks ... Let's open up those fat Rogers/Bell wallets & let's see what happens. Even a family man has to think twice about a very lucrative offer.

Since we overpay basically anyone anyway, might as well spend that next $7 M to get a good coach -- considering the dead weight we have on the bench.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Tim L'ke. said that he was looking for a GM who has good trading skills, understands and knows rosters of other teams, who can attract FA's and keep them here etc. This tells me that he's looking for an experienced guy who's had success in the NBA. He mentioned that he wanted the Raps. to be like teams that Sam Presti, K Pritchard, RC Buford have built.

Going by this, I think a well known GM is one his way to Toronto. If he's not, the firing of Colangelo is pointless. The new GM must have the ability to either completely tear down the roster with the intention of tanking or completely transform the team with the intention of being a definite play off contender. If he does neither and decides to stay with the present team for now, he's doing what BC would have done. So what's the point?

So I think one of Pritchard, Buford or Ujiri will be the new guy. I'm hoping it will not be Pritchard but I have this feeling it's going to be him. Very overrated IMO.
          Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Fri May 24, 2013, 01:09 AM.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Is Buford even available?
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

• Folks do realize that the team that Pritchard built into such a powerhouse (the Blazers) finished with one less win that the Raptors last year, don't they???

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
                Folks do realize that the team that Pritchard built into such a powerhouse (the Blazers) finished with one less win that the Raptors last year, don't they???
                NOt really the team he built though. He's already been gone 2 years. Also, 2 of their best players (Aldridge, Batum) were Pritchard guys.

It should also be noted that PAUL ALLEN is a dickhead. I don't know the exact dynamics of the mess with Pritchard, but it clearly wasn't all Pritchard's fault. They replaced Pritchard iwth Rich Cho, who then only lasted a year due to issues with Allen. Both Pritchard and Cho did positive things for the organization, and both were callously fired in very public ways that were bad for each of them. Paul Allen is a crazy owner.

Now I'm not necessarily for Pritchard...but the guy clearly is an excellent talent evaluator.

Comment

• http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ke...evin-pritchard
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• League sources told CBSSports.com that one of the possibilities Leiweke has identified is teaming Pritchard with Oklahoma City assistant GM Troy Weaver, whose name has been attached to several front-office searches in the past two years. It is not clear whether the Raptors have reached out to the Thunder to ask permission to interview Weaver, though it is highly unlikely that Oklahoma City would grant permission for Weaver to entertain a lateral move.
                    This is stupid.

You can't have co-GMs. At the end of the day you need one person to make a decision.

Weaver is not coming to Toronto to be an assistant GM - he already has that for a perennial contender.

This is disheartening. The only silver lining is it is, as usual, all "sources". "Sources" typically have agendas.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I wanted to read more about Mike Zarren, and I came across this presentation here:

This was a panel talking about NBA analytics at the 2013 Sloan Conference. The panel included Zarren, but also Buford, SVG, Pritchard, and Zach Lowe. If you have a spare hour I recommend watching the whole thing.. I found it enjoyable.

I am so happy that Colangelo is gone.. this conference proves to me how bad Colangelo was at building the right team. Getting him out of there was the best news I heard all year. Now we need a GM that properly understands analytics and knows how to hire a coach that understands analytics as well. I'm actually impressed by Zarren by listening to this conference. He might be a bit green when it comes to fielding a team, but I actually think he'd be a good fit going forward.

So going through Sportsnet's list of candidates (thanks Matt for posting them), my list would be:

1) Weaver
                      2) Zarren
                      3) Pritchard
                      4) Ujiri

And if any of these guys can get SVG that would be a major coup. Also if we need a cap expert they should hire Larry Coon.
                      Great video.

My major requirement for a gm and other staff members is to not get any more bullshitters. I've always hated that about Colangelo, he bullshits all the time, he is about appearance and image and all that stuff.

So, if SvG doesn't really want to coach anymore, why not consider him for gm? He doesn't bullshit, he knows what's important for a team and what's not. He might also be a bit more relaxed as a gm and can probably help develop a coach, especially if a youngish coach is brought in now or next year.

I'd also like to consider giving Zach Lowe a job as assistant gm; he is in my opinion (by far) the brightest mind of the writers guild, and really watches the games to see what's happening (unlike some of those annoying tv guys and opportunistic writers). He's also a confident person who wants to study the game, acknowledges when he's made misjudgments (as with the Conley signing). He'd be a great communicator to partner with SvG because he's more laidback and gets his opinion across very well. He could be the guy who ties it all together between the gm, coaching staff and analytics department.

We could also need some new analytics guys or at least review their performance; their interviews weren't very convincing, as in, there was a lot of bullshit, probably as a result of the Colangelo culture.

On the analytics stuff: great points by SvG and the others about the value and noisiness of certain data. I completely agree with this. Some of the things that are named 'advanced' statistics just aren't that. If we talk about the performance of a certain line-up, we should be talking about the things that those line-ups do well or don't do well and not just about sheer data. That doesn't give any insight at all and is very much subject to circumstance, like our starting five results at the end of the season (the fool's gold stuff). E.g. we got some people shooting threes way above their normal %; normalize those percentages and what do you get? When data likes this provides certain information, the first question should be why is that?

Btw. I don't mean to say that def. rat. and such have no value at all, they help to see certain trends. But they should be the starting point and lead to questions like "why is that?" instead of answers like "see? this is wrong, that is right."
                      Last edited by Soft Euro; Fri May 24, 2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Jesus, we could have Uriji AND Pritchard
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Jesus, we could have Uriji AND Pritchard
                            Not sure if these reports are meant to be in unison, or if they contradict each other.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              This is stupid.

You can't have co-GMs. At the end of the day you need one person to make a decision.

Weaver is not coming to Toronto to be an assistant GM - he already has that for a perennial contender.

This is disheartening. The only silver lining is it is, as usual, all "sources". "Sources" typically have agendas.
                              This is AMAZING!

Weaver as GM with Pritchard as a consultant. We'd be getting the best out of Pritchard minus any need for his leadership which some feel is poor.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Not sure if these reports are meant to be in unison, or if they contradict each other.
                                This is getting better and better with each update. Having a GM and consultant whom are both excellent talent evaulators is awesome. Masai apparently has a knack for trades and Pritchard has shown to be really good at drafting. It's a best case scenario.

Comment

Working...
                                X