Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you trade Lowry for this year's #12 overall selection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marz wrote: View Post
    I disagree. Worst case scenario, it was 4th pick. The flip side? Best case scenario is that it was the 30th pick. You need to look at the likelihood. BC was gambling that, with a healthy Bargnani (this was before his offensive abilities plummeted), and a solid PG rotation of Lowry/Jose, we'd be in the playoffs and thus out of the lottery. Lottery protecting the pick is a due diligence made so we don't end up like the Clippers missing out on Irving (for example).

Houston probably made the trade because they didn't believe we'd make the playoffs, and would end up somewhere in the lottery. Were they expecting the 4th pick? I doubt it, even though it may be what they hoped for.
    It was never going to be the 30th pick, or any pick outside of the lottery for that matter. Yes, there are some small protections in place for the Raptors (top 3 this year, top 2 next year, top 1 every year after that), but it also had 15-30 protection on Houston's end until 2018. This was always going to be a pick somewhere between 3-14 unless the Raptors reeled off an improbable string of 6 straight playoff experiences.

The deal on it's face is fine. The chances of finding a better player than Lowry at #12 aren't great, and certainly not in the short term. However I'm not sold on Lowry as the PG of the future, and it seems like one of two things are bound to happen with him in the next year A) He walks as a free agent next summer or B) They lock him up for a long-term, big money extension (4 years/ $40 millionish). If you're sold on Lowry as the guy to lead this team then option B shouldn't scare you. I'm not one of those people though. Pretty much every part of BC's "accelerated rebuild" has frustrated me - chasing Nash, trading the lottery pick for Lowry, going all in on Gay, etc.
    Last edited by Fully; Tue May 14, 2013, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      It was never going to be the 30th pick, or any pick outside of the lottery for that matter. Yes, there are some small protections in place for the Raptors (top 3 this year, top 2 next year, top 1 every year after that), but it also had 15-30 protection on Houston's end until 2018. This was always going to be a pick somewhere between 3-14 unless the Raptors reeled off an improbable string of 6 straight playoff experiences.

The deal on it's face is fine. The chances of finding a better player than Lowry at #12 aren't great, and certainly not in the short term. However I'm not sold on Lowry as the PG of the future, and it seems like one of two things are bound to happen with him in the next month. A) He walks as a free agent this summer or B) They lock him up for a long-term, big money extension (4 years/ $40 millionish). If you're sold on Lowry as the guy to lead this team then option B shouldn't scare you. I'm not one of those people though. Pretty much every part of BC's "accelerated rebuild" has frustrated me - chasing Nash, trading the lottery pick for Lowry, going all in on Gay, etc.
      I think this makes my point better. If the pick was meant to land between 4-14, and it landed on 12, then it was a fantastic gamble.

Look, I disagree with the accelerated rebuild. I would have much preferred to keep the pick, not extend DeRozan (yet), not trade for Gay, and let our boys play out a season. But if we're judging the trade and only the trade, the Raptors won because they got the more talented piece... unless the #12 pick turns out to be a better player than Lowry, which is doubtful in this weak draft.

Comment

Why trade lowry for a draft pick then wait another 3 years to develop the kid we picked? There is no guarantee that whoever we pick will be better than lowry (they probably won't). So this is not a great idea IMO

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          I think this makes my point better. If the pick was meant to land between 4-14, and it landed on 12, then it was a fantastic gamble.

Look, I disagree with the accelerated rebuild. I would have much preferred to keep the pick, not extend DeRozan (yet), not trade for Gay, and let our boys play out a season. But if we're judging the trade and only the trade, the Raptors won because they got the more talented piece... unless the #12 pick turns out to be a better player than Lowry, which is doubtful in this weak draft.
          It was a fantastic gamble because we landed with 12, but it still comes down to a bad decision on Colangelo's part because of the risk involved. Listen, if Lowry was a guy I saw as the future point guard of the team then I'd say even risking the #4 would have been worth it. But I didn't see it that way then and I certainly don't see it that way now. Personally I still doubt whether Lowry is a starting caliber point guard.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            Why trade lowry for a draft pick then wait another 3 years to develop the kid we picked? There is no guarantee that whoever we pick will be better than lowry (they probably won't). So this is not a great idea IMO
            I doubt it would take 3 years. Typically guards or wing players only take 1-2 years, and that's who we'd be targeting. Especially if we hadn't traded for Lowry because Calderon would have expired and we'd be looking for a replacement ie: Trey Burke.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

oh I misunderstood the poll, so I'm the only yes right now, which I didn't want to be

I thought it meant like if we had the #12 pick would we trade it for Kyle, but Kyle from last year when we..........shutup, it was written in a confusing manner.

Comment

SETH CURRY! I said it in another thread, this guy is probably going un-drafted. He's 6'2, pure shooter (He's part of the Curry family, it's in his blood), handles the ball really well, creates his own shot, he could definitely develop into a great combo guard. Plus, his father played in Toronto so maybe he'd like it here, who knows? I think it's worth a shot, and if he goes late in the draft, trade for him. He's be a pretty good guy to fall back on in his 2nd or 3rd year if Lowry isn't with us anymore.

What does everyone think about this?
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

That being said, no I'd rather have Lowry than the 12th overall selection in this years draft.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                    SETH CURRY! I said it in another thread, this guy is probably going un-drafted. He's 6'2, pure shooter (He's part of the Curry family, it's in his blood), handles the ball really well, creates his own shot, he could definitely develop into a great combo guard. Plus, his father played in Toronto so maybe he'd like it here, who knows? I think it's worth a shot, and if he goes late in the draft, trade for him. He's be a pretty good guy to fall back on in his 2nd or 3rd year if Lowry isn't with us anymore.

What does everyone think about this?
                    Ask Blake Griffin about his brother Taylor.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Have you seen Seth play at all? I don't think you can compare him with Taylor Griffin.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGeWXvcNdc

That's all in the first half of a game in the tournament this year.

Comment

Only reason he's projected to go late second round or un-drafted is because he's a senior.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Taylor was never an All-American Nominee or a participant in the FIBA U-19 Worlds. He never led the nation's freshmen in scoring. And also he never made an all-ACC first team. Besides, Taylor was never a star in college anyways, while one can argue Seth was very much borderline. So there's a big difference between Taylor and Seth.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just pointing out they aren't in the same category just because they have brothers in the NBA.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                              Taylor was never an All-American Nominee or a participant in the FIBA U-19 Worlds. He never led the nation's freshmen in scoring. And also he never made an all-ACC first team. Besides, Taylor was never a star in college anyways, while one can argue Seth was very much borderline. So there's a big difference between Taylor and Seth.

Don't mean to sound harsh, just pointing out they aren't in the same category just because they have brothers in the NBA.
                              That is a good point. Harshness deserved.

My point was NBA success is not genetic.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                Have you seen Seth play at all? I don't think you can compare him with Taylor Griffin.
                                You are right.

I have not seen a lot of college ball this year.

Not sure how a 6'2" SG excels in the NBA. I don't think he has PG skills to even be called combo.

I see millions in his future made in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                                X