Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors show interest in Gani Lawal

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eason-In-Italy

After a breakout season in Europe, Gani Lawal has intrigued NBA teams and could receive consideration for a contract, league sources told RealGM.

Lawal has already scheduled workouts – private and as part of mini-camps – with the Indiana Pacers, Toronto Raptors and Orlando Magic, sources said.

Lawal, the 6-foot-9 athletic, scrappy forward, had his best professional season with Italy’s Virtus Roma, averaging 13.3 points, 8.8 rebounds and 1.4 blocks. Virtus Roma has gone 20-10 this season and ranks third in the league standings.
    I watched Lawal play a lot at Georgia Tech and he definitely has NBA talent at the PF position. Like many GT players, he underformed in college due to the terrible coaching of Paul Hewitt, which dropped his draft stock to the 2nd round. Sounds like he has finally put it all together. Bringing in Lawal would be a great way to make up for the lack of a draft pick this year. I think he'd make a nice backup PF if we stick with Amir as the starter.

He also has a cool name

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...eason-In-Italy

I watched Lawal play a lot at Georgia Tech and he definitely has NBA talent at the PF position. Like many GT players, he underformed in college due to the terrible coaching of Paul Hewitt, which dropped his draft stock to the 2nd round. Sounds like he has finally put it all together. Bringing in Lawal would be a great way to make up for the lack of a draft pick this year. I think he'd make a nice backup PF if we stick with Amir as the starter.
      What type of player is he? It says "scrappy forward"....that's not really a complete picture. Does he haves solid skills or does he thrive mostly on physical ability? Is he a good defender, as his block and rebounding numbers might suggest?

Comment

Strengths: A strong, athletic and lengthy 6'9 forward (in shoes), Lawal has been able to use his physical tools to gain the advantage over whoever guards him ... He spends the majority of his time in the post, where he is capable of making short turnaround jumpers, and finishing strong around the basket ... In regards to his post play, he has the ability to create just enough space for himself to get off a comfortable look ... his touch around the rim has seemed to improve, and he has shown signs of being able to use both hands (though limited with the left, but improved) in the paint... His activity level on the interior is very high, as his high motor and athleticism both contribute to his 8.5 rebounds per game, which is impressive considering he plays next to another big rebounder in Derrick Favors ... Scores a lot of baskets on put backs... He has a strong frame and an NBA body, and plays physical on both sides of the ball ... Does a good job at drawing contact and getting to the line, and he runs the floor well for his size, making it a habit of beating his man down the floor ... Defensively his physical play and long wingspan help him contest shots, contributing to his effectiveness defending the post ...

Weaknesses: Lawal is just a little too raw offensively, as he doesn't show you a variety of ways to score... his face up game and outside jumper will both need to improve if he wants to play real consistent minutes at the next level, as he won't be able to use his body in the pro's the same way he uses it in college... For a guy who thrives on contact and physicality in the paint, he shoots a poor 57% from the free throw line, which goes hand in hand with his non-threatening mid range or outside game... His shot selection can be questioned, as he seems to intent at time looking for his own offense down low instead of passing out of the post... Defensively he doesn't have the highest IQ, but if you tell him to body up and bang with the big guys down low, that he understands well...
        Overall: What keeps Lawal from being talked about as a legit first rounder is that he doesn't stand out in any particular area... His competitiveness, desire to want the ball and high motor are admirable, but skill wise he doesn't excel above the rest in any particular category... He does however have an NBA body, and good enough hands, athleticism and size to compete at the next level... He looks like your typical hard working, energetic forward who will do the dirty work down low, and has the potential of being a nice 7th man - assuming he continues to polish his footwork and post move in the paint, and improves that mid-range game

nbadraft.net

Comment

connected wrote: View Post
          Strengths: A strong, athletic and lengthy 6'9 forward (in shoes), Lawal has been able to use his physical tools to gain the advantage over whoever guards him ... He spends the majority of his time in the post, where he is capable of making short turnaround jumpers, and finishing strong around the basket ... In regards to his post play, he has the ability to create just enough space for himself to get off a comfortable look ... his touch around the rim has seemed to improve, and he has shown signs of being able to use both hands (though limited with the left, but improved) in the paint... His activity level on the interior is very high, as his high motor and athleticism both contribute to his 8.5 rebounds per game, which is impressive considering he plays next to another big rebounder in Derrick Favors ... Scores a lot of baskets on put backs... He has a strong frame and an NBA body, and plays physical on both sides of the ball ... Does a good job at drawing contact and getting to the line, and he runs the floor well for his size, making it a habit of beating his man down the floor ... Defensively his physical play and long wingspan help him contest shots, contributing to his effectiveness defending the post ...

Weaknesses: Lawal is just a little too raw offensively, as he doesn't show you a variety of ways to score... his face up game and outside jumper will both need to improve if he wants to play real consistent minutes at the next level, as he won't be able to use his body in the pro's the same way he uses it in college... For a guy who thrives on contact and physicality in the paint, he shoots a poor 57% from the free throw line, which goes hand in hand with his non-threatening mid range or outside game... His shot selection can be questioned, as he seems to intent at time looking for his own offense down low instead of passing out of the post... Defensively he doesn't have the highest IQ, but if you tell him to body up and bang with the big guys down low, that he understands well...
          Overall: What keeps Lawal from being talked about as a legit first rounder is that he doesn't stand out in any particular area... His competitiveness, desire to want the ball and high motor are admirable, but skill wise he doesn't excel above the rest in any particular category... He does however have an NBA body, and good enough hands, athleticism and size to compete at the next level... He looks like your typical hard working, energetic forward who will do the dirty work down low, and has the potential of being a nice 7th man - assuming he continues to polish his footwork and post move in the paint, and improves that mid-range game

nbadraft.net
          That description is from before he was drafted in 2010 and it's pretty accurate of his college play. He's been playing the pros all over the globe since then and it seems like it's paying off. He's a good defender/rebounder who has consistently shot over 60% from the field everywhere he has been. He could come in and contribute a lot more right away than just about anyone in this years draft outside the top 5 or so. He's not going to be a starter in the NBA, but I think he could effectively play around 20 minutes a game. Definitely brings a different type of game than Acy too, so adds some more versatility to the lineup.

Comment

...Yeah that review is WAY out of date. Not sure he has the lateral quickness for the NBA game. I've only seen his games in Europe a couple times but to me he's a solid post player. Not much more than that. Anyway, this is what I could find:

EDIT: Found this as well. It shows some of my concerns with him. He hedges fairly well, but doesn't have the foot speed to recover quickly. Also, pay attention to how he rebounds. He's often in the right spot but he doesn't put a solid body on the person he is boxing out.

Last edited by blackjitsu; Sun May 19, 2013, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Another dude I watched play live in Rome. He's long and puts up some monster numbers but also plays on a team lacking post play in any real respect. His D wasn't really even OK and he seemed to rely on his size more than smarts. He doesn't have great hops and puts up numbers without really dominating the game. Datome had much more impact for VR. Lawal never showed a lot of "fire" and for a guy his size he's one of those guys you look at getting beat constantly, missing rotations and then you look up at the scoreboard and say WTF? He's got 17/15 with 2 blocks? When did that happen??"

Unfortunately his cluelessness on D (not that VR was a great defensive squad by any stretch of the imagination) often leads him into foul trouble which really hurt VR numerous times late in close games. He does do a great job of establishing a low post presence and gets put backs over smaller competition and finds rebounds with the best of them.

Personally I like GiGi a lot more. Fits the eye test better IMO, heart n hustle. Reminds me of Jorge. Totally unscientific I know but Lawal reminds me of every other journeyman back up big, nothing special, better than the worst but still an end of bencher.

Sorry, shoulda started this with a Big ol' FWIW:
              Last edited by minks77; Tue May 21, 2013, 11:46 AM.
              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X