Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    It still just really annoys me that the image is associated to a complete distortion of what some dinosaur may have been.

And it really annoys me that the Hawks have pretty much taken the image of birds of prey. It really makes it hard to change the branding to keep the Raptors name, but use the literal meaning and have some sort of bird-associated design (again, I feel like owls are probably the most natural option for Canada).

I just checked wikipedia and apparently the Canadian Horse (don't know what makes it such a special breed) is a national animal as well.

I don't know why I'm focusing on Canadian things. I'm mostly just trying to think of a fitting animal, and most live in several or all parts of the country.

I have a really hard time thinking of anything cultural. Nothing that evokes a sense of British colonialism is good. I would hate any name that somehow makes reference to that aspect of our history. Clearly it's pretty impossible to think of a plant symbol as good as the maple tree/leaf. I also think branding the team something too wintery is inappropriate for Toronto as a city, and lame for a basketball team name.

It's really difficult to change the image of the team in any way. And that's kind of unfortunate. You know they'll look into it hard with the 20th anniversary and potentially hosting an all-star game coming up....They'd at least want to change the jerseys if they can.
    Another problem with using Raptor to mean a bird of prey is that is exactly what Atlanta did with the Thrashers. They don't exist any more so it wouldn't be a problem per-se, but I think changing the meaning of Raptor is even more confusing that just changing to a new name. Also has the feel of "if that was all you were gonna do, why change anything?"

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      This thread is about rebranding. Everyone with your "clever" "The only brand I wanna see changed is the winning on the court" has no fucking bearing on the branding (e.g. Team name, colors, jerseys) so stop already. We are all perfectly aware that changing the team name or colors will have no effect on the on-court play. The idea of rebranding is basically to sell more merch. Please keep that in mind before you start with another clever rant about how it doesn't matter until we start winning. We've got like 35 of those posts already, don't need another.

Wolverines is a sweet name but not a good one for rebranding due to it's massive popularity as the Michigan mascot. Toronto is not going to steal that thunder. UConn is an infinitely less popular program so I don't see using Huskies confusing anyone, but I'll throw out some other ideas.

Owls (Snowy, Great, etc...)
      Regiment
      Guard
      Imperials
      Falls
      Towers
      Skyline
      Blizzard

I wish I could think of more non-animal names that are associated with Canada (or Toronto). As I noted earlier, only 8 teams in the NBA are named after animals and other than the Bulls they are all very unpopular. If we're making the change I'd like to shift away from animal names if possible.
      And as I said in my earlier post in this thread....OWLS ARE ACTUALLY RAPTORS. They wouldn't necessarily even have to change the name, but could totally rebrand the image around that of the owl. Athough I'd be fine with Owls as a team name. It is also the only "raptor" that's different looking enough from a hawk that it can be done differently than Atlanta's image. But that could still be an issue.

Not a big fan of any of the other suggestions. Sorry. Despise the idea of a military association. Camo jerseys are bad enough. Don't like the Falls idea. Skyline is kinda lame and random, and doesn't really make me think of Toronto. Blizzard just doesn't fit for a bball team, especially one that's constantly wrestled with the stereotype of harsh Canadian winters. Winters in Toronto are mild. Very mild for Canada. Can't get much weaker winters unless you're out on the West coast. It also sounds kind of like a minor league team name. Imperials bugs me because it evokes that British colonial aspect.

I suppose I'd settle for Towers...It's just a little on the nose, isn't it? And not really inspiring. I think that's why animals are good, because they make people think of something primal and powerful.

I totally get the issue with Wolverines and Michigan. I realize it probably will never happen, and that's a shame, because if it weren't for Michigan I really think it would be a great option.

It's pretty hard to think of good suggestions. I've really got nothign I haven't already gone through in this thread or that other thread from a few weeks back about the same crap.

Comment

Another problem with using Raptor to mean a bird of prey is that is exactly what Atlanta did with the Thrashers. They don't exist any more so it wouldn't be a problem per-se, but I think changing the meaning of Raptor is even more confusing that just changing to a new name. Also has the feel of "if that was all you were gonna do, why change anything?"
        Fair enough. I was just throwing it out there for all the fans who are so incredibly attached to the Raptors name.

Comment

This thread is about rebranding. Everyone with your "clever" "The only brand I wanna see changed is the winning on the court" has no fucking bearing on the branding (e.g. Team name, colors, jerseys) so stop already. We are all perfectly aware that changing the team name or colors will have no effect on the on-court play. The idea of rebranding is basically to sell more merch. Please keep that in mind before you start with another clever rant about how it doesn't matter until we start winning. We've got like 35 of those posts already, don't need another.

Wolverines is a sweet name but not a good one for rebranding due to it's massive popularity as the Michigan mascot. Toronto is not going to steal that thunder. UConn is an infinitely less popular program so I don't see using Huskies confusing anyone, but I'll throw out some other ideas.

Regiment
          Guard
          Imperials
          Falls
          Towers
          Skyline
          Blizzard

I wish I could think of more non-animal names that are associated with Canada (or Toronto). As I noted earlier, only 8 teams in the NBA are named after animals and other than the Bulls they are all very unpopular. If we're making the change I'd like to shift away from animal names if possible.
          I like the Blizzard, but that was the name of Toronto's defunct professional soccer franchise (1971-84) and doesn't really help dispell the myth of Canada's perpetual frozen tundra, when it comes to luring American players.

The rest seem pretty bland and/or generic. I kinda like the Snowy Owls but, again, we should stay away from any name that reinforces the misperceptions about our market's climate. Plus people would think we just copied a movie again - Hedwig, anyone? Although can you imagine the entire ACC 'hooting' while the other team is shooting free throws???

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I like the Blizzard, but that was the name of Toronto's defunct professional soccer franchise (1971-84) and doesn't really help dispell the myth of Canada's perpetual frozen tundra, when it comes to luring American players.

The rest seem pretty bland and/or generic. I kinda like the Snowy Owls but, again, we should stay away from any name that reinforces the misperceptions about our market's climate. Plus people would think we just copied a movie again - Hedwig, anyone? Although can you imagine the entire ACC 'hooting' while the other team is shooting free throws???
            Yes, I can.

Comment

• The Toronto Razorbacks (Razorback hogs, Toronto used to have the nickname Hog town)
              Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

• Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
                The Toronto Razorbacks (Razorback hogs, Toronto used to have the nickname Hog town)
                I thought about something like that...hog-related....the problem is the same as the common problem with Huskies or Wolverines because of college teams. I at least know that Arkansas uses Razorbacks as their team name. They even use "hogs" as a nickname. Although I suppose at least they aren't too famous for basketball.

Comment

• Toronto Bandits. With a Racoon mascot.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

Regiment
                    Guard
                    Imperials
                    Falls
                    Towers
                    Skyline
                    Blizzard

As a fan, why would you care about the team selling more merchandise? Do you think merchandise revenue will help this team in any way? The message to MLSE shouldn't be, "these are good name ideas" but rather that we dont care about your merchandise revenue, we want a winning team. Being against the name change is a strong message, "don't waste your resources doing things that don't help the team win". Suggesting names is a pointless activity unless you don't care about the product behind the packaging.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Ontario Trilliums. Yours to discover.

Comment

• Canada Goose. Aquire a dleague team too, call it the goslings.

Comment

• Bay St. Bankers. Monopoly man mascot.

Comment

• Upper Canada Rebels. Get a team in Montreal too, call them the Lower Canada Voyageurs

Comment

Working...
                            X