No announcement yet.

Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's pray that this might be the beginning of the end to the long nightmare for Canadian basketball fans. As for the name change, good. It was spawned because it was trendy due to the movie Jurassic Park and it really has no connection to either Toronto or Canada in anyway. Was always a dumb name in my opinion and will always remain a dumb name. I'd much prefer the Toronto Huskies. Celebrate the fact they were the first NBA (BAA at the time) team, and at least the name has some connection to Canada.

The only people who want to see the name retained are little kids who think it's cool to name a team after a dinosaur, which by the way looks nothing like a REAL raptor and look at all the other Toronto team names...they have class. Argonauts, Blue Jays, Maple Leafs...Huskies would be a nice fit, plus it's blue & white to match the city colours.

And what's all this "history" of the Raptors to be proud about? Yeah the Huskies had one bad season and folded. The Raptors have had multiple bad seasons and the only real "success" we had was under Vince Carter, a whining cry baby who wanted out of Toronto and screwed us over in quite frankly the worst trade in NBA history. Is that the history you're all proud about? Let's not forget to mention the number of players who have not wanted to sign with Toronto due to the fact "it's in the arctic" or because some players kid didn't want his children learning the metric system? And who could forget that silly Euro experiment which failed miserably.

That's the Raptors history in a nutshell...the name change is a fresh beginning. The Winnipeg Jets are not the original jets mind you (Phoenix Coyotes are the original Jets) but Winnipeg still renamed themselves the Jets.

Toronto Huskies > Toronto Raptors any day...
    Last edited by Huskies; Sun Jun 9, 2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I want to keep the raptors name and change the jerseys back to purple. I don't want all the toronto teams to have the same colours; variation is good.

Comment

• I think we can all agree that there a plenty of valid arguments for both sides.

Comment

• Wolverines or bust. I don't want the mascot being a little puppy dog

Comment

• Huskies wrote: View Post
                Looks cool but the wolf head is from Game Of Thrones "House Stark" sigil of the dire worlf lol

Comment

• This is a sketch I drew up earlier today. I have no idea how to do graphic design so it's old school pen and paper for me. If anyone knows how to convert it into a graphic design -- eliminate the noise from the shading/coloring, holla at me.

Why is the picture sideways? Oh man, I'm such a laggard
                  “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• ^ Did you create your account simply to advocate the change to "the Huskies" ? lol It's shitty history, no one besides Raptor fans even knows anything about the name. It was the BAA, in the 40's, they were a shitty team. So shitty and insignificant that the team folded in one year.

Come on bro. L.A. has no lakes but I don't hear you complaing about the name the Lakers. Or the Knicks, (what the fuck is a Knick?). It doesn't matter what the connection is, plenty of team names have no cultural or historical significance. The Raptors is a legit name and it's a lot cooler than most other teams names. Not to mention our mascot is the fuckin' man.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Ahhh man, I should have quoted.

That was in response to Huskies.

Comment

• Huskies wrote: View Post
                        I like those jerseys. Much better than the current ones. A lot classier too. I'd be happy if that was the change.

Comment

• I voted for no name change, but after doing so I did some research on what an actual Raptor was... I've come out quite disappointed. Here's one summary: http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/typeso.../a/raptors.htm

I still like the Raptors name, and like the fact of keeping with tradition, but wouldn't be opposed to a name change. I'd really just like to see Blue and White colors.

Comment

• Raptor is short for Velociraptor. It's the gnarliest dinosaur besides the T-Rex. And Toronto has enough Blue and White already. We can be a little more original.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                              Raptor is short for Velociraptor. It's the gnarliest dinosaur besides the T-Rex. And Toronto has enough Blue and White already. We can be a little more original.
                              Velociraptors were like vicious turkeys. The dinosaurs portrayed as Velociraptors in Jurassic Park were really Deinonychus. Kind of adds to the reasons a name change wouldn't be so bad.

Comment

• Raptors is one of the coolest names in the NBA! Whoop-dee-doo-dah if it happened to be derived from a 20-year-old movie. (which was pretty damn good for its time if you don't remember...) As far as I'm concerned, the criteria for what qualifies as a good name are as follows: "Does it sound badass? Can you make a badass logo out of it? And, does it end with an 's'"? Case in point.

I would like to see some purple re-introduced to the pallette. Original jerseys were too cartoonish for a pro team, but I think something red/black with purple as an accent would be really unique.
                                Last edited by jrdyck; Mon Jun 10, 2013, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X