No announcement yet.

So, who goes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all those thinking that Lowry is moveable consider the fact that most teams already have their starting PG. If we trade Lowry then who do we get back? What team would be willing to trade their starting PG for a guy that will be entering free agency after one year? And we still need a capable backup PG as well.

I think Lowry is an asset, but once he's traded we have no PG. I don't think he will be moved.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      These Tim Leiweke quotes are stolen from main page of RaptorsRepublic.com:

There has been a lot of talk in these forums about the "core" of Lowry-DeRozan-Gay-Amir-JV moving forward. It seems pretty clear that the status quo is not going to remain for whoever comes in to take control of this franchise from a basketball operation/decision-making perspective based on the comments of the ultimate boss.

With that said:

Who goes and, if you are really adventurous or just have time on your hands, why?

**In the poll, only included guys under contract for next season minus Kleiza and it is multiple choice!**
      Thanks for the post. I went back and listened carefully to the whole interview, focussing on the quotes you included.

It seems to me that Tim L doesn't have any faith in Brian's ability to assess the quality of a player.

Also, it's clear that Tim L believes this team is fundamentally flawed, and currently without an adequate base to build a contender.

Let's look at Toronto's current core in relation to more successful teams.

DeRozen, Gay Lowry.

Indiana, West, George, Hibbert
      San An Ginobli, Parker, Duncan
      Memphis Gasol, Randolph, Conley
      Golden Stat, Curry, Lee, Bogut, Barnes

I think Tim L is looking to dismantle and re-build, and has his eyes set on DeRozen and Andrea as the first to go. After that, I think he sees Gay as having no future in Toronto, not at that price. I believe these three will be peddled for lottery picks in the 2014 draft. FYI, I see Tim L. picking a GM who shares his vision.

Of the rest, only JV and Amir approach the untradable, but would be packaged in the right deal.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        For all those thinking that Lowry is moveable consider the fact that most teams already have their starting PG. If we trade Lowry then who do we get back? What team would be willing to trade their starting PG for a guy that will be entering free agency after one year? And we still need a capable backup PG as well.

I think Lowry is an asset, but once he's traded we have no PG. I don't think he will be moved.
        A team that ends up blowing it up. I keep thinking of Boston. Their future is really cloudy. KG and Ainge have publicly said they're far from being a contender even if everybody comes back healthy next year. I don't buy the "quick re-build around Rondo". They could easily rebuild a playoff team, but would struggle mightily to add the calibre of players Rondo needs around him. He's a pass-first guard who's had 3 of the best scorers of their generation at their respective positions to pass to (counting Allen before he left).

Basically, if Boston is willing to blow it up and trade Rondo, I don't think they will be super-concerned about holes that arise, since they will clearly go into tank mode to stockpile picks for a couple of years. I do think it's possible they decide to keep building around him, but I also think he'll attract far and away the best trades packages, so they really will have to at least consider trading him, especially if KG (retirement?) and Pierce (trade?) are gone.

Now, I also realize any such deal is a long shot...but I also have to believe it's the kind of deal a new GM will be pushing for if he doesn't just want to dump guys, but also improve the team.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          A team that ends up blowing it up. I keep thinking of Boston. Their future is really cloudy. KG and Ainge have publicly said they're far from being a contender even if everybody comes back healthy next year. I don't buy the "quick re-build around Rondo". They could easily rebuild a playoff team, but would struggle mightily to add the calibre of players Rondo needs around him. He's a pass-first guard who's had 3 of the best scorers of their generation at their respective positions to pass to (counting Allen before he left).

Basically, if Boston is willing to blow it up and trade Rondo, I don't think they will be super-concerned about holes that arise, since they will clearly go into tank mode to stockpile picks for a couple of years. I do think it's possible they decide to keep building around him, but I also think he'll attract far and away the best trades packages, so they really will have to at least consider trading him, especially if KG (retirement?) and Pierce (trade?) are gone.

Now, I also realize any such deal is a long shot...but I also have to believe it's the kind of deal a new GM will be pushing for if he doesn't just want to dump guys, but also improve the team.

Rondo is an asset of course but he is held in very high regards for Boston. He was mentioned in a Paul trade for example. The Raptors do not have any players on their team that are even close to Paul's level of talent.

If Rondo was to be traded then Boston would most likely be looking for a top 5 pick in a draft. I don't think Toronto is going to be in the bottom 5 next year, and especially with a team that has Rondo on their roster.

I understand where you are coming from with this idea but I just don't see it happening.

But speaking of long shots, how about Tony Parker? We all know that Duncan is getting close to retirement, and if the Spurs win this year could this be his last hurrah? Ginobili is a free agent next year. Is he going to retire?

Toronto has young assets. Perhaps a Lowry+DeMar+future first for Parker? Parker is 31 years old, but for PG's that's actually pretty young. He'd be on the top of my list, even ahead of Rondo (if he was available).

Comment

For all those thinking that Lowry is moveable consider the fact that most teams already have their starting PG.

Not all teams have their starting PG's. Two teams that come to mind are the Clippers and Hawks.

Secondly, he will not be traded without a 'CERTAIN PLAN' of a better PG coming to Toronto either via trade or FA. In fact, considering he is in the final year of a good contract, he would be very attractive to a lot of GM's.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
              Not all teams have their starting PG's. Two teams that come to mind are the Clippers and Hawks.

Secondly, he will not be traded without a 'CERTAIN PLAN' of a better PG coming to Toronto either via trade or FA. In fact, considering he is in the final year of a good contract, he would be very attractive to a lot of GM's.
              I recognize that Lowry is an asset.. but I just don't see him being traded. Teams like LAC might be interested but then who are we getting back that can play PG for us next season and would be considered an upgrade to Lowry?

The new GM has to get a new PG before they trade Lowry or they need to swap PG's (trading Lowry and then scrambling to find a replacement is a very risky move that could backfire big time). Which team would be willing to swap their starting caliber PG for Lowry and then is that an upgrade for Toronto? If there was a 3rd team, then which team has 2 starting caliber PG's so that they would be willing to trade one and not the other (where either PG would be considered an upgrade to Lowry)?

The Raptors do not have cap space, so they can't just sign a PG in free agency. They would have the MLE but is any guard worth the MLE an upgrade over Lowry, and would Toronto make that move, considering they are so close to the luxury tax if they spend most of that MLE? S&T is possible, but then the only guy I see that fits a S&T is Jennings, and I'd rather have Lowry.

Of course Lowry can be traded and he'd bring back a good return, but I just don't think it makes sense for Toronto since we also need to strengthen our backup PG spot as well. If we had an emerging PG that could take the starting reigns then it's a no brainer. But when your backup is JL3 then I think it becomes a lot harder to trade Lowry, and that's why I don't see him being moved this off season.

It just seems like if we traded Lowry a lot of other things would have to happen too. That's just a lot of work for a GM, especially when the PG you already have seems to be happy playing for you and is a good quality starter in the league.

Perhaps the one guy that we could sign that could realistically replace Lowry is Jose. Perhaps we sign Jose at the MLE then use Lowry in a trade to upgrade the roster? I could see Detroit resigning him though and they can offer a lot more than the MLE.

Comment

When you look at the roster, it is designed for and around Bargnani. Everyone is available for the right trade but the three trade chips I'd be looking at are DeRozan, Lowry, and Gay (in that order).

I was looking at the draft prospects a few weeks back. I was impressed by Schroeder then and am more impressed now. I think he is going to be special - likely more so than Burke to be honest because of his athleticism and defense. He is also 6'2" with a 6'7" wingspan that would be nice running the pick and roll with Jonas.

Teams in need of SG:
                Milwaukee
                Utah
                Minnesota
                Phoenix

Teams in need of a PG (a lot could change once draft night/July 1st rolls around):
                Utah
                Sacramento (is Thomas a starter?)
                New Orleans (is Vasquez a starter?)

Minnesota would be a good destination for DeRozan, in my opinion. Not sure if there is still interest there with Kahn gone.
                #9/Ridnour for DeRozan?

Milwaukee might be another possibility. Henson/Mbah a Moute for DeRozan? Ilyasova for DeRozan? Henson/Gooden/15 for DeRozan?

Utah seem to be the most likely partner for Lowry. Sign and trade Millsap (max contract $9.3M)? Lowry for 14 (Schroeder) and 21 (stash Adetokunbo)?

I am just talking out of my ass. Obviously I have no idea.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post

Teague is restricted. If he leaves Atlanta, it will be the Hawks' choice.

Who knows what happens with CP3, but the Clippers have Eric Bledsoe who as a starter averaged 14ppg (on 41/44/80 shooting), 5.3ast, 4.8reb, and 2.5stl in 12 starts.

Comment

I'm pretty excited to hear Leweike doesn't think this roster is worth much of a damn. I've been on the "just blow it up and start fresh" stance since last season and the DD contract and Gay trade only made it more real.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I haven't worked out the details because i'm at work (shuuuuush), but as i was reading an article about D12 and what houston has to do to sign him, it occured to me that theres a Golden oppertunity for the next GM.
                      Houston does not have the cap space to offer a Max contract as they are today, and on June 30th, their contracts become garanteed, so they have to create that cap space before Free Agency, before they can talk to dwight under the assumptions that media reports are true they are the favorites to steal him. Meaning they will have to give Away some of their bigs for nothing, or 2015, 2016 Draft Picks. We dont have the cap space, but we are over crowed at the wings, so a 3 team trade is necessarry with someone good on bigs but missing depth on the wings.

Houston Bigs in order i like them for the raps:

1- Donatas Montiejunas (1.3 mil) : yes he's JV's buddy but it goes beyond that, i watched him from the moment he got drafted untill the summer league, but i have to admit haven't seen much since. But he's got potential he's a sophmore so a little expeience under his Belt. He's 7'' feet Tall (i dream of a twin Tower team, not sure why i guess the TD and admiral years left an impression on me)

2- Thomas Robinson (3.3 mil): again young talented sophmore, who just needs good coaching to grow with the rest of the young team. Plus only next year is garanteed so if he really is a bust, just dont pick up the option.

3- Omer Asik (8.3 mil): in terms of skills and heart he should be 1st, but that contract pushed him down to 3 for me.

Terrence jones & Greg Smith i dont want, no knock on them i just dont think they can bring anything amir doesnt give us already, and Amir Loves T.O. and Canada Loves Amir so no.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to score in the paint on a frontcourt of Asik and JV.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I would rather land Asik than Pau. Pau is old and injured far too often.
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I recognize that Lowry is an asset.. but I just don't see him being traded. Teams like LAC might be interested but then who are we getting back that can play PG for us next season and would be considered an upgrade to Lowry?

The new GM has to get a new PG before they trade Lowry or they need to swap PG's (trading Lowry and then scrambling to find a replacement is a very risky move that could backfire big time). Which team would be willing to swap their starting caliber PG for Lowry and then is that an upgrade for Toronto? If there was a 3rd team, then which team has 2 starting caliber PG's so that they would be willing to trade one and not the other (where either PG would be considered an upgrade to Lowry)?

The Raptors do not have cap space, so they can't just sign a PG in free agency. They would have the MLE but is any guard worth the MLE an upgrade over Lowry, and would Toronto make that move, considering they are so close to the luxury tax if they spend most of that MLE? S&T is possible, but then the only guy I see that fits a S&T is Jennings, and I'd rather have Lowry.

Of course Lowry can be traded and he'd bring back a good return, but I just don't think it makes sense for Toronto since we also need to strengthen our backup PG spot as well. If we had an emerging PG that could take the starting reigns then it's a no brainer. But when your backup is JL3 then I think it becomes a lot harder to trade Lowry, and that's why I don't see him being moved this off season.

It just seems like if we traded Lowry a lot of other things would have to happen too. That's just a lot of work for a GM, especially when the PG you already have seems to be happy playing for you and is a good quality starter in the league.

Perhaps the one guy that we could sign that could realistically replace Lowry is Jose. Perhaps we sign Jose at the MLE then use Lowry in a trade to upgrade the roster? I could see Detroit resigning him though and they can offer a lot more than the MLE.
                            Lowry can't be traded for a better starting caliber PG and doesn't have to be. There are players on the team that can fetch in return a better starting caliber PG. Deroan, Gay and JV. are some of them. For example and I repeat for example, if a sign and trade opportunity arose wherein Derozan, Amir and JV could be traded for Chris Paul, we'd have a solid starting PG. In such a case, Raps. could simply use part of their MLE on a player like D Harris to be their back up PG and trade a good asset like Lowry to fill another need.

I totally agree that trading Lowry without a definite plan to fill the starting PG position is senseless.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              Teague is restricted. If he leaves Atlanta, it will be the Hawks' choice.

Who knows what happens with CP3, but the Clippers have Eric Bledsoe who as a starter averaged 14ppg (on 41/44/80 shooting), 5.3ast, 4.8reb, and 2.5stl in 12 starts.
                              Bledsoe is good but I don't think the Clippers will be comfortable going into the season with him as their everyday starter. I think he will be one in the future though.

The Atlanta situation is 'uncertain'.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

We're not going to get Chris Paul lol let's be real
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X