Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Cavs are looking to move top pick, Gay for #1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Colangelo really liked Andrea Bargnani. The Nets really liked Kenyon Martin...

Gay doesn't add to mediocrity, he's a really good player.
    Lol weren't just for this trade? You sure jump ship pretty quick.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      And that is what is lost when you make on average $18M over next 2 years.

If he was making $12-13, he never gets traded or he returns much more.
      Why does matter? Bell/Rogers are willing to pay the money. Thier no player in this draft that is projected to be better than Rudy Gay.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lets not be revisionist historians. Memphis was making a salary dump while attempting to stay competitive. They would not take back equal dollars and they had to get pieces that fit.

What might allow the Raptors to get a better package? If they took on another teams expiring contract that is currently not movable (Ben Gordon comes immediately to mind).
        Cleveland was on the receiving end of a salary dump by Memphis and gave up very little in return. Cleveland showed no interest in Gay at the time and now it's 1st + Andy or 1st + TT?

I would like some of what Raptors fans are smoking.

The Gay trades suggested are all salary dump; all involve the Raptors trading more salary than they receive and not just by a small margin.
        Last edited by Hugmenot; Wed May 29, 2013, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Substituting into the game: Logic

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Lol weren't just for this trade? You sure jump ship pretty quick.
          The more I thought about it, the more it makes sense to me that they don't do it. Your first see "#1", you think about the prestige of it all, it gets you a little. Then I thought about Bargnani and how the negativity certainly has had a negative impact on his game. Some is warranted but I guarantee you that if he were taken 5th-10th overall he would not have been under the same microscope and he would not have been forced into games so much, so early when he clearly was not ready. Then I think about right now, the kid that goes #1, if it's Toronto taking him he's in for a really rough ride it he doesn't post pretty stats in the first couple years. If he's not better by leaps and bounds by year three or four then he gets mercilessly torched. Toronto is best to stay away from the top of the lottery. The risk, the expectations(fans & media), the fact that this would be one of the new guy's first acts, it all adds up to a bad idea in a draft with no sure fire #1. If there is no sure fire #1 then who says the best player taken isn't the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, ect. pick? Emotion guided me first but logic has checked into the game. Look at my post progressions through this thread, you'll see my "uh huh" moment.

And for the record, I still don't think the Cavs would bite on a Rudy Gay offer either. I don't think it makes sense for either party.

I can interpret this two entirely different ways. Are you for him staying or do you want him out of here because of the price tag? His game jumped this season when he landed in Toronto. It was time for him to leave Memphis and he could be a good long term option should the next two years go right by the team showing him they have the best intentions of putting the team before all else and they are competent.

Comment

Memphis was making a salary dump while attempting to stay competitive.
            dude how did you start this thread with a straight face and then proceed to call the raps' acquisition of rudy gay a salary dump for memphis?

like, they looked carefully at their roster and decided (correctly) "he just ain't worth it!" and then immediately got better redistributing his shots to conley and bayless and pondexter.

Comment

Sources say the Cavs have already begun to explore what they can get with the No. 1 pick. If they can get a young big or small forward in return
              presumably those sources are thinking of young bigs or small forwards like jonas or mkg, not "young" players on max contracts entering their 8th seasons like rudy gay or brook lopez, though lopez did just put up a PER north or 24 i believe

i think val is probably the only asset we have the cavs would consider, which, no thank you

Comment

No.Rudy is the Face of this Franchise.
                #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  Why does matter? Bell/Rogers are willing to pay the money. Thier no player in this draft that is projected to be better than Rudy Gay.
                  because it's not baseball and you can't stockpile pretty good players on crazy contracts.

yeah but he gets paid 18 million! there is no value in that! you could draft porter and get 75% of what gay can do for a third of the price, though i would personally go for burke as i see no scenario where he does suceed in today's game.

i'd call this an unprecedented proposition except the nets traded a top 3 protected pick that turned out to be damian lillard for gerald wallace just last year.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
                    yeah but he gets paid 18 million! there is no value in that! you could draft porter and get 75% of what gay can do for a third of the price, though i would personally go for burke as i see no scenario where he does suceed in today's game.
                    Let's pretend for a minute that you're a Cavs fan and you're pumped that the team has been dealt aces.

You then read a report that the team has just pulled a deal sending that #1 pick to Toronto for Rudy Gay. How do you feel? Keep in mind what you just wrote above...

Comment

Let's pretend for a minute that you're a Cavs fan and you're pumped that the team has been dealt aces.

You then read a report that the team has just pulled a deal sending that #1 pick to Toronto for Rudy Gay. How do you feel? Keep in mind what you just wrote above...
                      i'd be fuming that we didn't add a more valuable asset at a position of need, like porter or noel (i guess, i'm not high on him), or package the pick with another asset (like TT or waiters) for a bona-fide superstar like kevin love, if he's available

Comment

i view the concept of value in this league as a marriage of ability, potential, and price. so, in my mind, rudy gay has high ability, zero potential (he is what he is), and costs a fortune, hence he has low value.

a number one overall pick has variable ability (but it usually is pretty high), off the charts potential, and a rookie scale contract, hence extremely high value. once the rookie contract is up you can set the price if you don't like where the ability level is at or feel the potential is limited, or walk away altogether.
                        Last edited by chris; Wed May 29, 2013, 10:03 PM. Reason: redundancy

Comment

also hugmenot is a cavs fan i think and i believe he's made his position pretty clear on where he would stand on such a deal

Comment

Did you really say that Otto Porter would be better for the Cavs than Rudy?
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

no i said paying him a third of what rudy gay makes is money better spent.

what part of value do ppl not understand?

Comment

also thinking about it for 30 more seconds he might be a better fit as he's billed as a very good overall player who does most things well but nothing spectacular, and could blend in, whereas rudy demands touches and would there be enough to go around with irving and waiters?

Comment

Working...
                                X