Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the team could stick a high-percentage 3pt shooter into the starting SG spot....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post

*I would love to see a breakdown of Ross' 3pt attempts looking at catch and shoot versus curl and shoot. Casey had Ross running the same plays for DD except Ross would shoot a 3. From my recollection he made more 3s on the catch and shoot.
    Good point. there was a play they would run for a Ross 3 that had him curling around to the 3 point line and he had to shoot it awkwardly and rarely ever made it

Comment

Raptors drafted Ross last year to be that guy. A spot up 3pt shooter. I don't know what happened because Ross is now more known as a dunker than a 3pt shooter.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        Raptors drafted Ross last year to be that guy. A spot up 3pt shooter. I don't know what happened because Ross is now more known as a dunker than a 3pt shooter.
        He was rarely given the opportunity to spot up from my recollection.

Comment

Matt, how do we know that if next season shots got distributed more evenly and Derozan wasn't taking as many as he has been that he couldn't adapt and grab more rebounds and such? Do you think he would just stand there and not do anything? Lol

Just saying, since his second year he's been relied upon to be a scorer, the guy plays the role that was given to him. I don't think it's necessarily impossible that they distribute more evenly and Derozan could get his stats to look something more like 16 PPG, 5.5 RBPG, 4 AST, 2 STL. And if he actually manages to get his 3pt shot somewhere between 33-36%.

That's not impossible, is it? I just think it's a safer bet then bringing in someone new who's probably not as talented.

If he is traded though I think it's gotta be for a Paul Millsap or something. Someone who could actually make the team better.
          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

BTW, does anyone remember this game?

Comment

I think everyone iss missing a big point here DeMar took a lot of shots because he had to, he was carrying the team all season.... Bargnani was being more uselss than usual, Calderon doesn't look for his offense, Lowry got hurt, Ed Davis was Raw, Fields was useless and the bench was useless. Who the hell else is going to score besides DeRozan? Guy never got help till Rudy came in without a chance to develop with one another the duo brought the team to .500 ball record to end the season and you saw an efficient DeMar when beside a solid #1 option in Rudy because he no longer gets doubled...

What Am I missing here? Everyone watched the season right? DeMar/JV/Amir should be on the cant blame them for this mess list.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                Matt, how do we know that if next season shots got distributed more evenly and Derozan wasn't taking as many as he has been that he couldn't adapt and grab more rebounds and such? Do you think he would just stand there and not do anything? Lol

Just saying, since his second year he's been relied upon to be a scorer, the guy plays the role that was given to him. I don't think it's necessarily impossible that they distribute more evenly and Derozan could get his stats to look something more like 16 PPG, 5.5 RBPG, 4 AST, 2 STL. And if he actually manages to get his 3pt shot somewhere between 33-36%.

That's not impossible, is it? I just think it's a safer bet then bringing in someone new who's probably not as talented.

If he is traded though I think it's gotta be for a Paul Millsap or something. Someone who could actually make the team better.
                In my opinion it is impossible. Those are Andre Iguodala like numbers.

Comment

lol It's only 2 less points per game, 1.5 more rebounds, 1.5 more assists and 1 steal more.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    Derozan for Paul Milsap
                    (Utah would pull it in a heart beat)

Bargnani for Ben Gordon
                    (rumored earlier in the year)

Sign Jarrat Jack/Nate Robinson in Free Agency with MLE

Lowry/Jack
                    Gordon/Ross
                    Gay/Fields
                    Milsap/ Amir
                    Val

Gordon is a +40% 3pt shooter, with an expiring 13 Mil contract.
                    By next season, hopefully we can know if Ross is capable of starting, and then shed 13 Mil for free agency in 2014!
                    Paul Milsap can do everything INCLUDING hit the 3. He would compliment Gay and Val very well.
                    I like the 2 trades but I dont think that we could get both JJ and Nate for the MLE, How about signing deven harris to the MLE and giving Ben Uzoh a minimum contract
                    #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Feet, did you create your RR account just so you could talk about Uzoh? lol

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        The Raptors need a 3 and D guy on their roster (assuming Fields doesn't improve next year).

Lowe, back in April, talks about guys that fit the mold that we are talking about here:
                        http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...isdom-suggests

His nominees are:
                        Kawhi Leonard
                        Arron Afflalo
                        Matt Barnes
                        Caron Butler
                        Gerald Henderson
                        Jared Dudley
                        Jimmy Butler
                        Wesley Matthews
                        Corey Brewer
                        Danny Green
                        Quincy Pondexter

Would love someone like Matthews or Butler but it would be hard to pry them away from Portland/Chicago.
                        This is a nice list, but I don't see a lot of these guys being likely options for the Raptors. Some, like you say about Matthews and Butler, will be hard to acquire because of their current situation. Others might be free agents getting better offers.

If the Raptors end up trading DeMar sooner rather than later, I would go hard after Afflalo. He also might be realistically available at low cost. If Orlando draft McLemore, or even Oladipo, it doesn't make much sense keeping Afflalo around, and nor will they want another wing prospect with that pick and Harkless around. They will likely want some cap relief to speed up the process of shedding money. Kleiza is a nice bargaining piece here. As is Aaron Gray, since they have no backups behind Vucevic. I actually like Gray a lot as a 3rd stringer, but if you combine them, it would make the deal doable, and Afflalo's 3-year/$7.5M per season deal is broken into two small deals that expire next summer.

Comment

DeMar for Derrick williams.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I do think there's a balance issue with the starting 5, and it stems from Gay + DD. I honestly think that the raps would benefit from starting Fields at the 2 and having demar come off the bench. From an optics standpoint I'm not sure that's an option, so I do think that you should entertain trades for EITHER DD or Gay, although because of contracts I do think DD is the one who needs to go.

The reason why I think fields starting works, is because he moves the ball on offense, and he's good at cutting, both things that help get easy buckets. He's a good defender and a good rebounder. If fields could shoot 3's he's my ideal sg, assuming Gay is still on the team.

It is tough entertaining trades for demar. He IS a hard worker, and he DOES love toronto, and those are the intangibles you want. That said, it's no secret that you need 3 pt shooting in this league (just ask memphis) and Toronto just doesn't have it, and needs to get it. If demar could develop a 3 pt shot, I'd be ecstatic, but I don't see it happening. I also don't see rudy's eye repair leading to him being a better 3pt shooter either, but I guess I subscribe to the theory that the best indicator of future performance is past performance.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

If Masai can trade AB for a back up PG that can shoot 3's then great, but it's not likely he touches either of our starting wings at this point.

Considering the options I'm seeing on this tread I'm happy to give DD and Gay another shot to see what they can do. On paper we have a really nice starting 5. If Casey can get us to play D like he did in his first season in Toronto, we won't need 3 point shooting to be good.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                lol It's only 2 less points per game, 1.5 more rebounds, 1.5 more assists and 1 steal more.
                                Right and he was already playing 37 minutes per game.

Look at hte #AprilFoolsGold end of season he had. Last five games he put up 25ppg on 60%fg, 64%3pt, and 85%ft on 7 attempts per game. Man, that is awesome. Then look at his rebounds, assists, and steals - 2.4reb, 1.0ast, 0.4stl.

The person who posted the Jose Bautista quote a while ago nailed it. You can't ask a .230 hitter to hit .275 or a 10hr hitter to hit 25. After 4 years in the league with minutes and opportunities heaped upon him, DD is what he.

Comment

Working...
                                X