Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ujiri is trying to get in the draft, who you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• for as much as we need 3 and D guys we also need someone who will consistently try and get to the hoop. Raps need a bulldog.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
      for as much as we need 3 and d guys we also need someone who will consistently try and get to the hoop. Raps need a bulldog.
      put me in coach!
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
        put me in coach!
        Your ankles is made from paper. ** No offence just joking ( avatar )

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Hardly a secret as Wolstat points out:

What does Stein mean by "second-rounder at worst"? Theres no 3rd round is there? I don't see what the point in going that far into the draft is for unless you think there is going to be someone there that specializes in say 3 point shooting or something. It's a weak draft, why bother?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            ...I don't see what the point in going that far into the draft is for unless you think there is going to be someone there that specializes in say 3 point shooting or something. It's a weak draft, why bother?
            One has to assume that they see someone there that "...specializes in say 3 point shooting or something."

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              What does Stein mean by "second-rounder at worst"? Theres no 3rd round is there? I don't see what the point in going that far into the draft is for unless you think there is going to be someone there that specializes in say 3 point shooting or something. It's a weak draft, why bother?
              What do you mean? Isn't accumulating young assets always a good thing?

-First off, they're cheap. Rookie-scale contracts are great. 2nd round picks are even better in that respect because nothing is guaranteed and it's totally negotiable. Even if Acy is just a 3rd stringer, he's a dirt cheap 3rd stringer who brings valued skills to the floor (hustle, rebounding, a hopefully improving jumper).

-Second, in a weak draft, the difference in "potential" probably won't be that big from even the late lottery or mid-first round through to the end. Again, even though maybe I have some bias, Kabongo is a great example of this. He doesn't have lower potential than Shane Larkin, or Canaan, or Schroeder, etc (or really any PG in this crapshoot draft)...Even if it's a 2-3 year project (or draft-and-stash) that's just fine.

-Third, assets are assets. Having an extra piece, especially a young one on a cheap deal (or non-existent deal in the case of a stashing) can't be a bad thing....and especially since the Raptors are capped out, it's not like htey need to reserve that spot for a free agent. And even if they did, it's fairly simple to cut a 2nd rounder.

Comment

• for the last time, it's a weak draft in the sense there's not really any superstar talent, but it's not short on solid starters/rotational players. it's not like 3/4 of this draft is going to be out of basketball in 3 years.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

for the last time, it's a weak draft in the sense there's not really any superstar talent, but it's not short on solid starters/rotational players. it's not like 3/4 of this draft is going to be out of basketball in 3 years.
                  60th - Robert Dozier - not in the league
                  59th - Chinemelu Elonu - not in the league
                  58th - Lester Hudson - not in the league
                  57th - Emir Preidzic - not in the league
                  56th - Ahmad Nivins - not in the league
                  55th - Patrick Mills - 3rd string Spur
                  54th - Robert Vaden - not in the league
                  53rd - Nando De Colo - 3rd string Spur
                  52nd - AJ Price - not in the league
                  51st - Jack McClinton - not in the league
                  50th - Goran Suton - not in the league
                  49th - Sergi Gladyr -not in the league
                  48th - Taylor Griffin - not in the league
                  47th - Henk Norel - not in the league
                  46th - Danny Green - Spurs starting 2
                  45th - Nick Cathales - not in the league
                  44th - Chase Budinger - Minnesota Starter
                  43rd - Marcus Thornton - Kings starter
                  42nd - Patrick Beverley - Houston role player
                  41st - Jodie Meeks - Lakers bench guy
                  40th - Derrick Brown - not in the league
                  39th - Jonas Jerebko - Pistons Role Player
                  38th - Jon Brockman - not in the league
                  37th - DeJuan Blair - Spurs Bench Guy
                  36th - Sam Young - Pacers Bench Guy
                  35th - DuJuan Summers - Clippers bench
                  34th - Sergio Llull - not in the league
                  33rd - Dante Cunningham - T-Wolves bench
                  32nd - Jermaine Taylor - not in the league
                  31st - Jeff Pendergraph - Indiana bench guy

13 out of 30 are still playing

1st round

Christian Eyenga is the only one not playing in the NBA

34 out of 60 ..

so Just over half the guys are still playing from that draft. Of those guys I bet an additional ten will flush out in the next two years...maybe 15 of the 60 will have long productive careers (10 years plus)

2008 33 out of 60 (also a pretty good draft year)

2007 25 out of 60

2006 19 out of 60

2005 26 out of 60

2004 22 out of 60

2003 22 out of 60

2002 13 out of 60

2001 16 out of 60
                  Last edited by thead; Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:02 PM.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Still can't believe we traded our 2nd round pick for Telfair, sigh.

Comment

• 2nd rounders I'd consider are Ray McCallum - PG from Detroit and Trevor Mbakwe - PF from Minnesota. I've seen Mbakwe projected anywhere from late in the first to mid-second, if he falls he'd be a good catch. McCallum is the coaches son, a gym rat and a true PG, could be a good cheap back-up.
                      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• First round keeps sounding more possible by the day...
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          What do you mean? Isn't accumulating young assets always a good thing? -First off, they're cheap. Rookie-scale contracts are great. 2nd round picks are even better in that respect because nothing is guaranteed and it's totally negotiable. Even if Acy is just a 3rd stringer, he's a dirt cheap 3rd stringer who brings valued skills to the floor (hustle, rebounding, a hopefully improving jumper).

-Second, in a weak draft, the difference in "potential" probably won't be that big from even the late lottery or mid-first round through to the end. Again, even though maybe I have some bias, Kabongo is a great example of this. He doesn't have lower potential than Shane Larkin, or Canaan, or Schroeder, etc (or really any PG in this crapshoot draft)...Even if it's a 2-3 year project (or draft-and-stash) that's just fine.

-Third, assets are assets. Having an extra piece, especially a young one on a cheap deal (or non-existent deal in the case of a stashing) can't be a bad thing....and especially since the Raptors are capped out, it's not like htey need to reserve that spot for a free agent. And even if they did, it's fairly simple to cut a 2nd rounder.
                          Yeah, but that deep into the draft what kind of assets are you getting? First off they are going to have to give up something to get that draft pick, and secondly what sort of quality are you getting with this pick? We already have Quincy Acy whom was a second round pick. Like the guy and all, but I don't want to see another one of him on the team. Say for example you find a guy to replace Aron Gray at the end of the bench. We already know the guy isn't going to bring much in the skill department, so you want someone without the skills as well.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                            Still can't believe we traded our 2nd round pick for Telfair, sigh.
                            Goes to show how much value is placed on 2nd rounders. Maybe it's just a BC thing.

Comment

for the last time, it's a weak draft in the sense there's not really any superstar talent, but it's not short on solid starters/rotational players. it's not like 3/4 of this draft is going to be out of basketball in 3 years.
                              Do we need more role players? Seems like the roster is full of them.

Comment

• Will there be any draft parties this year? I'm actually going to be in Toronto on Thursday. Would be nice to put some faces behind names.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X