Jeff Weltman the new #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    I would prefer a guy that was involved with a reputable organization.. like San Antonio, LAL, Boston, Denver, OKC/Seattle, Houston, Utah, or Dallas.

If I was trying to get the best of the best then I would be targeting guys who helped build those teams.
    the problem is do you think those people would ever leave those franchises to come work for the raptors? and remember they wont even be getting a promotion, just a horizontal move to a team that may or may not succeed in the coming years.

or of course, MLSE can always throw dollars at them.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I'll admit that Weltman wasn't the obvious choice based on TLs rhetoric. Far from it actually.
      But I imagine this was more a decision made by Ujiri, than TL.
      It could be that Weltman is thought much more highly around the league than Raptor fans (or any fans) are aware.

I don't know. Just throwing the possibility out there. A move that impresses front office staff around the league is likely to be a move that goes under the radar for fans or vice versa.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        It could be that Weltman is thought much more highly around the league than Raptor fans (or any fans) are aware.

I don't know. Just throwing the possibility out there. A move that impresses front office staff around the league is likely to be a move that goes under the radar for fans or vice versa.
        Absolutely agree.
        And didn't mean that in a way to take away from the hiring. Like I said earlier, I like the hiring. I think he'll be able to utilize our Analytics numbers as good, or far better than anyone else they could have brought in. And that's the way of the future for the NBA.

I'm just saying that "Jeff Weltman" is about as unglamorous a hire as could have been made.
        Not saying glamorous is good. Just saying that that is likely what a lot of Fans expected based on what TL has been saying.
        I expected Ujiri to make this a strategic decision. Not glamorous, so I'm fine with the hire.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Absolutely agree.
          And didn't mean that in a way to take away from the hiring. Like I said earlier, I like the hiring. I think he'll be able to utilize our Analytics numbers as good, or far better than anyone else they could have brought in. And that's the way of the future for the NBA.

I'm just saying that "Jeff Weltman" is about as unglamorous a hire as could have been made.
          Not saying glamorous is good. Just saying that that is likely what a lot of Fans expected based on what TL has been saying.
          I expected Ujiri to make this a strategic decision. Not glamorous, so I'm fine with the hire.
          Well said.

One of the more pleasant things imo that Ujiri said at his presser was when he interlocked his fingers and said (paraphrase) "we are going to be one" referring to management, coaching and the team. Communications at all levels will be at a premium. With that in view, he probably made a hire here with someone he knew well (JW recommended him for his first hire in Denver), shares his vision of team building and of course capability on various aspects of managing a basketball franchise. MU also probably knows exactly how pivotal JW's decision making has been in his career. So, including the fact JW has interviewed for a number #1 positions confirming his status in the NBA, we should for the first while trust that MU knows what he is doing and is executing a plan.

Comment

I'm a bit impartial about this hiring but that is just because I know nothing about him. Everything I've read so far has just been the usual lip service. Great that he's a analytical guy, but isn't everyone these days? It's the trendy thing to do these day to hire analytics guys. Unless he's an analytics guru it's difficult to get excited. I'm taking a wait and see approach

Comment

I am not a fan of statistics but I do see the benefit of it.

I think your eyes and knowledge are the best tools. I really hope that his team goes in the direction of half court offense, no lay up defense

Comment

Somebody is sure to step into Weltman's role with Milwaukee, and I expect he or she will do an admirable job. But losing a smart, experienced person from the front office is never a good thing for an NBA team. We wish Jeff all the best in Toronto. We'll miss him.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2013/6/10/44...ve-after-draft
                Bucks fan site take on losing Weltman.

Comment

We'll probably be saying the same when Weltman gets his first GM job! Apart from all the other reasons, he is coming to TO because I think he probably sees a higher upside to his position here than in Milwaukee. If TO does well rebuilding the team his resume looks better and may take him over the top during his next gm interview.

Comment

I would argue that Weltman has the potential to push analytics beyond what Toronto previously did, and I hope that can help with drafting and building talent.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      I would argue that Weltman has the potential to push analytics beyond what Toronto previously did, and I hope that can help with drafting and building talent.
                      Has the current managment group done that poor of a job drafting the last couple of years? We'll have to wait and see with Ross since he hasn't received steady pt yet, but JV, ED?

Anyone know whom else Weltman interviewed with? Was anyone else after him?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        Has the current managment group done that poor of a job drafting the last couple of years? We'll have to wait and see with Ross since he hasn't received steady pt yet, but JV, ED?

Anyone know whom else Weltman interviewed with? Was anyone else after him?
                        He was one of the final candidates for the Suns GM position this summer. He also interviewed with the Raptors in 2004 (I believe) and, to my memory, has spoken with other teams as well for GM roles.
                        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

It's official

Comment

* Weltman will receive a significant bump in pay in his new job with the Raptors.

Some NBA officials claim Weltman will be paid more than $1 million a year for the next five years. That is almost double the amount most assistant GMs are paid.
                            http://journaltimes.com/sports/bucks...a4bcf887a.html

Comment

Tim and Masai putting their money where their mouth is.

Now go hire Ron Adams!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story...sing-assistant

Comment

Heard an interview with him on fan590 this evening. As usual these hockey centric bozos gave the guy what seemed like about 6-7 mins. and then said bye to him. He seemed pleasant enough but non committal about the immediate plans but interestingly has the opinion that in the NBA world Toronto is considered a "cherry" franchise and to be looked out for if it starts a winning tradition. Grange & Friedmann interviewed him and as usual nothing particularly incisive.

Comment

Working...
                                X