Most Improved Raptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Improved Raptor

Hope this hasn't been discussed in another thread : who would you pick as your MIR ? Only 3 acceptable nominees here : Amir and Demar, who both posted career numbers this season, and Jonas, for his continuous progression throughout the year.

So ?
    Amir
    70.00%
    Demar
    10.00%
    Jonas
    20.00%

Jonas progression throughout the season exceeded my expectations. Amir and DD both got better too, but Jonas improved more throughout the year than either of those guys did in the offseason.

Comment

Kind of unfair because of the huge difference that was bound to occur as Jonas got used to the NBA game. He was starting from waaaaaay behind Demar and Amir. On the other hand, so was Ross, and he is not even in the conversation. Now it will be interesting to see who improves more next year, JV or Ross.

WRt Demar and Amir, I was impressed with both of them. Seemed like they both really took steps forward, maybe Amir more so than Demar. But same deal, it will be interesting to see who improves more next season.

I am expecting significant improvement from Fields and Lowry next season to be honest. We will see how happy or disappointed I am by the all-star break.

Comment

Amir, absolutely. Dude was a big part of why we'd win but of course Casey doesn't know how to use his players properly and we all saw how that worked out.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Ed Davis.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I voted Amir, after hesitation of selecting Jonas. Jonas really stepped it up towards the end, but Amir proved to me to be what I want a Raptor to be all about, and he did it all year. Toughness, heart, love for the Dot City, improved nearly every facet of his game... some of those LONG(literally, kinda makes Camby look like Dell Curry!) j's scared me while they went up, but at least he was dropping a bunch this season compared to seasons past.

I definitely expect Jonas to easily win this category next season. I believe his numbers will be somewhere around 13.5/8/2 blks.
            I'd really like to see Casey feature him on offense a little more. There were countless games last season where he was screaming for the ball in the post, but never even got a look.

*I'd love it if Ross actually took this title next season, only because I expect Jonas to progress. T Ross is still a wild card.

Comment

I voted for the guy I voted for on the poll for MIP prior to the start of last seson, Amir Johnson. My biggest surprise was that he seemed to get better and more importantly, more consistent after JC was traded.

Comment

I'm always suprised at how much people think Amir has improved. He's been this good for years now, the only difference is he got more minutes and a bit more usage, especially at the end of the season. In fact his efficiency actually went down this year - although still ridiculously high.

Given how alot of Raptors that were here to end the season weren't here last year, Demar almost gets it by default. But his improvement was marginal.

If we can say most improved from the start of the season to the end, its Jonas by a landslide.

Comment

I would lean towards Amir (which only happened because Davis was traded).

Comment

I'd have to say Amir.

He went from an overpaid no body to a decently paid no body

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      Ed Davis.
                      Funny... and true.

My vote goes to Amir.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I hate the MIP award.. it essentially means you sucked one time in your career and are now decent to good. But the fact is that you still sucked.

I don't think Amir should be the MIP as he's always been pretty consistent.. at least with his hustle and energy. Was he the best Raptor last year? Yeah.. but he was also the best Raptor the previous two years.

I don't think a rookie should qualify because they can't really improve from not being in the league to being in the league...unless you look at the transition from the first game to the last.

So if you look at guys who were playing in previous years and improved the most after the end of last year, I'd say my vote would go to Ed Davis even though he's not on the team anymore.

For guys still on the roster by the end of the year, then it would be a tie between DeRozan and Anderson. They improved slightly enough to qualify for this award (in my opinion).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I hate the MIP award.. it essentially means you sucked one time in your career and are now decent to good. But the fact is that you still sucked.

I don't think Amir should be the MIP as he's always been pretty consistent.. at least with his hustle and energy. Was he the best Raptor last year? Yeah.. but he was also the best Raptor the previous two years.

I don't think a rookie should qualify because they can't really improve from not being in the league to being in the league...unless you look at the transition from the first game to the last.

So if you look at guys who were playing in previous years and improved the most after the end of last year, I'd say my vote would go to Ed Davis even though he's not on the team anymore.

For guys still on the roster by the end of the year, then it would be a tie between DeRozan and Anderson. They improved slightly enough to qualify for this award (in my opinion).
                          That's a really sad assessment for a team that was young and rebuilding, when you can't pick a player worthy of being "most improved"... here comes the MU makeover!

Comment

I would vote for Amir, as he is the heart and soul of the team. He vastly improve from being a foul machine, to a solid power forward. I remember when he first came here, he gets 3 fouls as soon as he checks in. He is a consistent finisher and rebounder, a decent low post defender, and has an improved interior passing game (loved that big-to-big passing with ed davis), and has a midrange jumper which i hope could improve (as long as he doesn't keep on chucking them like how jamario moon did when he learned to shoot 3's). And i love the fact that he loves Tdot (going to leafs games, throwing first pitch with blue jays, that giant christmas tree in his house, etc.)

A not so distant second would be demar. Hate him or love him, he pretty much carried the offense before gay's arrival. He vastly improved his midrange game, which makes him one of the most potent sg's. Although, he still has much to improve, esp his dribbling as he turns the ball over so much. He also showed some flashes of his post up game, against guys smaller than him only though.

I can't say jonas improved, coz it's only his first nba season. but he has lived up to or even exceeded the expectations. hopefully he would continue to improve, and with experience and proper coaching, he could become one of the best centers in the league. love his heart and hustle too. if he averages 15 and 10 next season, he would definitely be the one next year. lol

Comment

My vote is Ed Davis.

2nd would go to Amir for me. I saw a noticeable difference in his play but I also believe this is pretty close to his ceiling.

Demar 3rd, he showed improvement across the board, still needs to see an Amir type jump in some numbers to get to the next level this upcoming season.

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?...eMar%20DeRozan
                              http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Amir%20Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X