Danny Granger anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Granger anyone?

Multiple sources believe the Pacers are looking for a taker for veteran small forward Danny Granger. The Cavs are interested, sources said, but have reservations about the knee injury that forced him to miss much of the season. If the injury robbed Granger of his explosiveness, such a move would hardly be worth the gamble. FOXSports Ohio
    He is a 14M dollar expiring contract

I could see Andrea Bargnani/Landry Fields/Aaron Gray 23rd pick
    for Danny Granger and Gerald Green

OR

if Indiana wants to take the leap

Rudy Gay for Danny Granger and 23rd pick
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Weren't the pacers the best defensive team in the league? Why add Bargnani when West has pretty good range anyway? I'm not sure how they plan on improving, but I feel like they can get a better return for Granger than either of the proposed options.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
      He is a 14M dollar expiring contract

I could see Andrea Bargnani/Landry Fields/Aaron Gray 23rd pick
      for Danny Granger and Gerald Green

OR

if Indiana wants to take the leap

Rudy Gay for Danny Granger and 23rd pick
      Why would the Raptors trade for Granger and Green when they've already got Gay and Derozan and Ross? Too many swingmen on this team that need minutes as it is.

No way Indy trades for Rudy. They have cap concerns trying to keep West around already.
      You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
        Weren't the pacers the best defensive team in the league? Why add Bargnani when West has pretty good range anyway? I'm not sure how they plan on improving, but I feel like they can get a better return for Granger than either of the proposed options.
        not necessarily. his knee is pretty much shot. it's kind of sad, actually. the pacers could really use a guy like Gay, as not only a pure scorer but to help take a lot of the pressure off George. to be honest, if granger was healthy i think they would have taken that series, and i think the pacers know that.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

They're only going to take back small contracts and picks. There's concerns about re-signing West and Paul George might be eligible for the super duper max contract thingy. They do need bench help but they don't have much money to get any.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

I wouldn't trade Gay for a healthy Granger. I would do a healthy Granger for Demar and parts deal though. If you can get Granger for Bargs, that would be great

Lowry
            Demar
            Granger
            Gay
            JV

That would be a pretty high scoring team.
            Last edited by Mediumcore; Mon Jun 10, 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

I can see the new CBA working it's "magic" already. Even the rich teams are going to be shying away from the luxury unless they truly believe that a single player shall take them over the line/very deep into the playoffs. I chuckled when Leiweke was first hired and he proclaimed (or was ut implied) that ownership would get into the luxury tax area. Teams who have the best talent evaluators shall tend to have the most sustainably good teams. I believe MU has the skills for this and going the Granger route doesnt seem to mesh with this strategy of building with own talent and flexibility. I think we want picks right now.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                I wouldn't trade Gay for a healthy Granger. I would do a healthy Granger for Demar and parts deal though. If you can get Granger for Bargs, that would be great

Lowry
                Demar
                Granger
                Gay
                JV

That would be a pretty high scoring team.
                Gay at the 4 full-time? Interesting...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Gay at the 4 full-time? Interesting...
                  I've thought of this as well.. I think it could work ala Josh Smith.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    I can see the new CBA working it's "magic" already. Even the rich teams are going to be shying away from the luxury unless they truly believe that a single player shall take them over the line/very deep into the playoffs. I chuckled when Leiweke was first hired and he proclaimed (or was ut implied) that ownership would get into the luxury tax area. Teams who have the best talent evaluators shall tend to have the most sustainably good teams. I believe MU has the skills for this and going the Granger route doesnt seem to mesh with this strategy of building with own talent and flexibility. I think we want picks right now.
                    It makes a lot of sense right now to spend the next 3 years acquiring as many draft picks as possible. The Raptors have 3 years before having to extend any of its youth.

This line of thinking makes the assumption that the picks yield considerable talent which is hardly a given.

But if you do a great job drafting and experience any shred of luck with the ping pong balls, then you can go well beyond the luxury tax with your own extensions. I hate to bring up OKC here but the indication from TL is that if the Raps end up with 3 and nearly a 4th max player, keeping the team together won't be an issue.

Comment

I'd only take on Granger if we got picks as well and also dealt Rudy in a separate deal. Granger may never be fully healthy again and that's going to seriously limit the Pacers return in any trade. I'm guessing they want to deal him to make room to resign West. They're not going to take back Bargs or Fields as their deals are too big and long. Indiana really wants to deal with a team below the cap who can absorb Granger without having to send salary back, e.g. someone like Atlanta.

Comment

If Granger can be traded for Bargnani I would be happy with the trade. However Indiana is going to be looking for a lot more than Andrea for an expiring contract like that.

The one thing to consider about Indiana is that they are a small-market team that most likely can't afford the luxury. They will have to sign George to an extension soon (and he's going to command a near max salary). They still have to make a decision on David West this summer (or go after another free agent like Millsap). Trading an expiring contract like Granger for a guy that's making $23M in two years is not the type of move I see them making.

Instead I see them trying to unload Granger for picks or for smaller contracts (like to upgrade their backup PG/wing spots). I do not see them giving up a pick to unload Granger. I could see them just letting Granger walk come free agency as that would save them enough money so that they can give George the raise he deserves.

Comment

Working...
                        X