Jerry Colangelo doesn't hold a grudge! DeRozan selected to USA mini-camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is great DeMar is chosen but I would not get too excited. He was chosen last summer when the Select team were the competition for Senior Men's USA team leading up to the Olympics.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...s-select-team/
    He lead the select team in scoring last year actually, which is quite impressive considering the other guys on his team, and players he's going up against.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      I wouldn't hesitate to swap DeRozan for Beal straight up.

Even as a rookie, Beal is a much more complete player (better shooter, better ball-handler, better court vision).
      You and every single GM in the league. Yes, DD is better than some of the guys on this list (not a particularly high bar with the likes of Walker and Zeller) - but not at all as compared to Beal, Favors, even Drummond (although admittedly that one is much more on potential than some of the others).

All, we should be happy that DD is getting his due to be invited .. but frankly, with this group, Id be shocked if he wasnt invited. Its just not a particularly stand out group.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        You kidding me?

Demar is easily more valued than these players:
        Barnes, Beal, Drummond, Favors, Hayward, Gibson, Jordan, Waiters, Zeller, Walker

Putting him in the top 12

Demar is arguably more valued than these players:
        Conley, Parsons, Sanders

Putting him in the top 9.
        I wouldn't include Barnes, Beal or Drummond on that list, especially when considering they're on rookie-scale contracts. Players like Favors, Conley, Parsons and Sanders are tough to compare, since they're different positions and bring totally different skillsets to the game (really depends on team needs).

Comment

Someday this will be a "Man DeRozan is killing it over in (insert team here) why on Earth did we trade him?" start up a movement of #BringBackDD #DDComeHome. If DeMar isnt netting serious fail-safe talent you keep him...

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
            Someday this will be a "Man DeRozan is killing it over in (insert team here) why on Earth did we trade him?" start up a movement of #BringBackDD #DDComeHome. If DeMar isnt netting serious fail-safe talent you keep him...
            It's never been a conversation purely about talent. It's as much (if not more) about positional depth/duplication, cap space/management and trade value (the value other teams place on Raptors players/contracts). I think that's why there's been so many emotional responses to posters like me who have been vocal about at least investigating potential trades. Also, most trade talk is always about bringing back equal/greater talent at a different position (ie: starting PF, most often). That's why I get irked when I'm branded a "hater" or am told that I'm disrespecting DeRozan, just because I'm open to possilby trading him, if a good trade comes along.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
              If the sight of 20 ppg excites you with minimal to no efficiency or contributions elsewhere, then yeah, you are probably right.

Comment

Im open to trading him too but not just because he and Rudy kinda sorta overlap. Hes a 23 year old hard working player you have to sell him High, Hes worth a starting PF with good box game and a #1 pick/2nd round pick no less. He could bring 20ppg and at least 4 apg if he had people to pass to, never had that till Rudy Gay came to town.

Under the microscope DeMar is "Inefficient" because the it was all on him, since Rudy Gay he has been shooting above avg for NBA shooting guards, just saying. Inefficient because the team is shit, opposing teams know its game plan is to load up on DeMar we win keep him quiet we win"

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  A bit off topic but definitely a future attendee of the USA Basketball camp....

Love seeing these things.

Nice to see all the siblings seemingly also cheering him on.

Comment

I honestly wouldn't be complaining about DeMar's contract when you have Fields, Bargnani, Kleiza and Gay eating up so much of the cap space too. One area being underrated about DeMar is his ability to post up as a wing player -- not many 2's can really put in work on the block.

He still has a lot of work to do but as of right now, he's a solid player who carried the Raptors through droughts many times during the season. He needs to improve his skills in terms of passing and ball handling (& to his credit, he's improved on these skills from his rookie year); but I like the fact that there are not many shooting guards out there who can consistently work on the post & I truly believe that he has value for that reason alone.

I think he's just not confident with his ball handling abilities because he never looks to turn the corner on screen and rolls. But I remember vividly that he can go coast to coast when time is running out (with his ball handling) and get to the rim -- so I feel that it is a confidence issue (when he doesn't think about just going ham down the court, he manages to get to the rim).

I definitely think he has a lot of value in the market because he has a defining skill. If he does get traded, I expect nothing less than another starter in return and/or a very good prospect.
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                    X