No announcement yet.

Backup big i want to see the Raptors pursue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raps need size...I like Blair but he's like 6'8. Like the Spencer Hawes idea^^^

plus Hawes has a mullet, so he would immediately be my favourite raptor of all time

Comment

We've got a Dejuan-Blair-with-Knees in Quincy Acy! No need for him.

Comment

Hawes is an acceptable fallback option...but he's pretty soft and pretty horrible defensively. His rebounding and block numbers are deceptive. He's slow footed and not very strong in the post.

If you read the stories about that breakfast thing with Casey, he really wants a "punch you in the mouth" type guy. THat is not Spencer Hawes.

Free agents that are vets and fit that bill is basically a list of one: Elton Brand. There are other options that might somewhat fit the character, but I think Brand's still pretty effective. Otherwise, I think they'll have to pull a trade, or settle for a lesser option (Pachulia, Mohammed, Turiaf) who will only be like having another Gray-like guy on the bench.

Comment

If we're going with a young (25-or-under) backup big, I'd rather get someone with upside. Blair really has failed to improve on his rookie year. Even account for reduced minutes and looking at per-36 stats, it's hard to find any evidence of growth. He's been relatively injury free thus far in his career, but he just doesn't look like someone who will have a long, healthy career. If his career upside is 10-7 in about 25 minutes a game, that doesn't suck, but there are higher-upside options out there.

Joey mentions Acy, and yeah, Acy might not be as savvy an NBA player yet, but he's got the same hustle, he's more athletic, he's got a better jump shot, and right now he's cheaper. His stats, minutes-adjusted, were on par with Blairs, and he's a couple years younger. Add to the fact that Blair hasn't been happy with his backup minutes in San Antonio, while Acy responded to a d-league assignment by busting his ass there, and I'd give Acy a nod on attitude as well.

It's worth noting that both Blair and Acy are sort of poor-man versions of Kenneth Faried, whom Ujiri drafted. And I think Acy is closer to Faried than Blair, based on his athleticism. While he's far from a part of the Raptors core at this point, I do think he fits the model of the sort of young, athletic depth player that Ujiri talks about stocking the end of the bench with.

Comment

Blair, how about Biedrins, for Bagnarni, straight up.

Simply this, defense, rebounding, experience, perfect to pair with Acy. This team needs a solid bigbackup. Acy impressed me last year. He needs somebody with experience/strength/size to partner with, and this way Bagnarni leaves town and we get depth going forward.
            BIGGEST REASON! We need help at pg, this allows Massai to focus on getting Lowry a back up that pushes him.

QUOTE=TRex;212620]DeJuan Blair of the Spurs is a UFA after this season. Used to be a starter for SA Sbut doesn't play much because of the emergence of Splitter. Splitter is a UFA as well btw but he's not going anywhere.

Back to Blair. Great rebounder, tough, got a little bit of a mid range game, can play the 4 and the 5. Only 24 years old.[/QUOTE]

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
              SA doesn't play him for a number of reasons.

On offense:

- He can't space the floor. He's made 15 shots longer than 15 feet his entire career.
              - He's about average or below average at the rim, which is where he gets the vast majority of his shots.
              - His single biggest skill is offensive rebounding, and SA doesn't go for offensive boards as a matter of basketball philosophy--they like to get back in transition instead.

On defense:
              - He's short (6'7") and can't jump or move laterally very well (no ACLs)
              - He has only two useful skills on D: he can push power low-post players off their spots when playing behind them, and he can rebound the ball very well.
              - SA almost exclusively likes to front the post, which he's next-to-useless at, what with the (relative) shortness and the lack of jumping ability. That negates one of his two useful defensive skills.
              - His strong defensive rebounding usually isn't needed. Timmy's still very solid on the defensive glass, Splitter's a good box-out guy even if he doesn't get gaudy rebound totals, Leonard is a better rebounder at the 3 spot than anybody not named LeBron James, and they have the luxury of sending 4 guys to the defensive glass and still almost always having a one-man fast break on the floor (Parker or Ginobili), so teams tend to not to crash the offensive glass too hard against them. (They were 3rd in the league this year in defensive rebounding%.)

He's definitely an elite NBA rebounder, and a solid finisher for his size. I wouldn't be sorry to see him in a Raptor uniform, and he's real easy to cheer for because he's always working his butt off. But he's definitely a very limited player.
              Very well done. While I recognize Blair brings something to the floor .. Im not sure his negatives outweigh his positives. I put him along the same lines as Hump and Reggie. One skill players that are very limited otherwise. However, fans who love hustle and effort (understandably in Raptors land since we havent had much of it!) tend to vastly over-value these guys.

Seems like the type of guy BC would overpay in the past. Not sure Im interested, especially if it involves any decent $$ or giving up assets.

Of course, id take him for cheap if hes available, no question there.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                We've got a Dejuan-Blair-with-Knees in Quincy Acy! No need for him.
                yeah i like what Acy showed when he got time.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  yeah i like what Acy showed when he got time.
                  Acy actually has a semi-respectable mid range jumper. Even Bosh didn't have that in his repertoire as a rook.

Comment

He'd be a decent luxury to have as part of the big man rotation but he's not someone that they should be targeting by any means.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                      He'd be a decent luxury to have as part of the big man rotation but he's not someone that they should be targeting by any means.
                      In a rotation featuring Aaron Gray and Dejuan Blair, I'd still expect to see Gray get the bulk of the minutes, as his size allows him to matchup 1-on-1 with some of the tougher Bigs out there.
                      With Amir and Quincy, we have absolutely no reason to sign Dejuan Blair.
                      And speaking in terms of purely locker-room-guy or whatever, I couldn't see him being too happy coming into another situation where he's nailed to the bench.

He'd be a waste of a jersey on this team.

Comment

It's really hard to figure out who the Raps could and would target this summer. I really don't think Blair is going to be one of those guys. I wish I could predict whether they'll just fill the holes or be aggressive trying to add talent. For a young big that might be available depending on what his team does, I really really want the Raps to go after Tristan Thompson. And no, not because he's Canadian. I think he'd be a great fit next to JV. A somewhat similar player to Amir with a bit more talent. A bit better at making moves and finishing strong. Still raw on both ends but I like his upside.

I wish somehow that the Raptors could acquire Favors (realize he's probably 99% untouchable). A frontcourt of JV and Favors would be incredible defensively, and a nightmare on the offensive glass....drooling a bit here just thinking about it....sigh...nice dream though. But I think Thompson would give them a similar dimension. Not quite as imposing but still very athletic and physical.

As for a surefire backup, my two top options are as follows:
                        -Try to work out a trade with OKC Bargs for Perkins, where Toronto gets another piece. Perk is pretty garbage now, but his character/experience is something this team badly needs. Would have a much smaller expectations though, and maybe a smaller role will help maximize what he's got left.
                        -Convince free agent Elton Brand to come backup JV and Amir. Brand's merits are obvious. Tough. Veteran. Can still play PF and C. Still a half-decent offensive player. Can carry a bigger load than Perk. He'll probably want to play for a better team though, so I'm not sure Toronto would be high on his list of options.

Comment

i really like tristan thompson, actually. like, REALLY like him. i didn't think he'd be much more than a very good defensive pf but he's evolved into much more. a frontcourt of jv/amir/tt would be insane defensively now, but with excellent offensive potential, sooner than later.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Timofey Mozgov, even thought it would be weird having him on the team after DeMar baptized him.
                            NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
                              Timofey Mozgov, even thought it would be weird having him on the team after DeMar baptized him.
                              Just another Aaron Gray. Besides, he's already come out and said he'd prefer playing time than winning (a la being nailed to the bench in Denver), so I don't think he'd be too happy here either.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

We should go after JJ Hickson or Spencer Hawes, personally i prefer the latter. Hawes is a big C who can rebound and block shot, a nice compliment as a backup for both Amir and Jonas.

Comment

Working...
                                X