Backup big i want to see the Raptors pursue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup big i want to see the Raptors pursue

DeJuan Blair of the Spurs is a UFA after this season. Used to be a starter for SA but doesn't play much because of the emergence of Splitter. Splitter is a UFA as well btw but he's not going anywhere.

Back to Blair. Great rebounder, tough, got a little bit of a mid range game, can play the 4 and the 5. Only 24 years old.
    Mamba Mentality

Why isn't SA playing him?

Legit question, I'm honestly curious. Wasn't he starting last year? Splitter sure isn't setting the world on fire.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This is funny, I was thinking the exact same thing watching him play in garbage time in Game 3. I'd certainly be happier with him than Aaron Gray.

I don't know what to say either about the playing time. He's very undersized for the C position, but the Heat play really small. He could be extremely helpful down low.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        DeJuan Blair of the Spurs is a UFA after this season. Used to be a starter for SA but doesn't play much because of the emergence of Splitter. Splitter is a UFA as well btw but he's not going anywhere.

Back to Blair. Great rebounder, tough, got a little bit of a mid range game, can play the 4 and the 5. Only 24 years old.
        ceez wrote: View Post

Legit question, I'm honestly curious. Wasn't he starting last year? Splitter sure isn't setting the world on fire.
        isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        This is funny, I was thinking the exact same thing watching him play in garbage time in Game 3. I'd certainly be happier with him than Aaron Gray.

I don't know what to say either about the playing time. He's very undersized for the C position, but the Heat play really small. He could be extremely helpful down low.
        it could be the knees. (pure speculation) his talent wasn't the reason he dropped in the draft it was the knees right? so maybe extended minutes exposes them more?

i wouldn't want to give blair a long deal. maybe a two or three year deal and i wouldn't want to pay him much more than gray is getting now. personally as a back up big i like the idea of the proposed, on this site, bargs for perkins trade better or the carl landry free agent signings better.

Comment

Is Blair the only player in NBA history to play his entire NBA career without ACLs?

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

SA doesn't play him for a number of reasons.

On offense:

- He can't space the floor. He's made 15 shots longer than 15 feet his entire career.
            - He's about average or below average at the rim, which is where he gets the vast majority of his shots.
            - His single biggest skill is offensive rebounding, and SA doesn't go for offensive boards as a matter of basketball philosophy--they like to get back in transition instead.

On defense:
            - He's short (6'7") and can't jump or move laterally very well (no ACLs)
            - He has only two useful skills on D: he can push power low-post players off their spots when playing behind them, and he can rebound the ball very well.
            - SA almost exclusively likes to front the post, which he's next-to-useless at, what with the (relative) shortness and the lack of jumping ability. That negates one of his two useful defensive skills.
            - His strong defensive rebounding usually isn't needed. Timmy's still very solid on the defensive glass, Splitter's a good box-out guy even if he doesn't get gaudy rebound totals, Leonard is a better rebounder at the 3 spot than anybody not named LeBron James, and they have the luxury of sending 4 guys to the defensive glass and still almost always having a one-man fast break on the floor (Parker or Ginobili), so teams tend to not to crash the offensive glass too hard against them. (They were 3rd in the league this year in defensive rebounding%.)

He's definitely an elite NBA rebounder, and a solid finisher for his size. I wouldn't be sorry to see him in a Raptor uniform, and he's real easy to cheer for because he's always working his butt off. But he's definitely a very limited player.
            Last edited by tkfu; Thu Jun 13, 2013, 05:41 AM. Reason: source added: 15 makes 16+ feet

Comment

Well, I'm not going to respond to that entire post but SA did of course play Blair. They've shied away from him in the playoffs but he played over 20 MPG his second and third years. His height will always be a concern but he's shown he can be effective against size. In the two playoff games he has actually played this year (3 and 4 against the Lakers - Gasol and Howard) he went 13 and 6 while averaging only ~16 minutes on the floor.

He is limited though and the concerns about his explosiveness (or lack thereof) are certainly real. I doubt he'd be effective in Toronto as he'd almost certainly be misused by the coaching staff here. But he will definitely contribute to a team somewhere next year.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                SA doesn't play him for a number of reasons.

On offense:

- He can't space the floor. He's made 15 shots longer than 15 feet his entire career.
                - He's about average or below average at the rim, which is where he gets the vast majority of his shots.
                - His single biggest skill is offensive rebounding, and SA doesn't go for offensive boards as a matter of basketball philosophy--they like to get back in transition instead.

On defense:
                - He's short (6'7") and can't jump or move laterally very well (no ACLs)
                - He has only two useful skills on D: he can push power low-post players off their spots when playing behind them, and he can rebound the ball very well.
                - SA almost exclusively likes to front the post, which he's next-to-useless at, what with the (relative) shortness and the lack of jumping ability. That negates one of his two useful defensive skills.
                - His strong defensive rebounding usually isn't needed. Timmy's still very solid on the defensive glass, Splitter's a good box-out guy even if he doesn't get gaudy rebound totals, Leonard is a better rebounder at the 3 spot than anybody not named LeBron James, and they have the luxury of sending 4 guys to the defensive glass and still almost always having a one-man fast break on the floor (Parker or Ginobili), so teams tend to not to crash the offensive glass too hard against them. (They were 3rd in the league this year in defensive rebounding%.)

He's definitely an elite NBA rebounder, and a solid finisher for his size. I wouldn't be sorry to see him in a Raptor uniform, and he's real easy to cheer for because he's always working his butt off. But he's definitely a very limited player.
                nice rundown, very interesting.

so i guess the point is he'd be a decent backup on a team with a different system?
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I dont think I care too much about an undersized, slow footed big.

Spencer Hawes is my big of choice to compliment Amir and JV.
                  7' 1'' - 25 years old - Blocks and Rebounds (1.4 & 7.2 in 27mins) - Floor Spacer - Low T.O - High shooting percent [FT (77) 3pt (36) FG (46)]
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    I dont think I care too much about an undersized, slow footed big.

Spencer Hawes is my big of choice to compliment Amir and JV.
                    7' 1'' - 25 years old - Blocks and Rebounds (1.4 & 7.2 in 27mins) - Floor Spacer - Low T.O - High shooting percent [FT (77) 3pt (36) FG (46)]
                    What's his deal, Is he a UFA? Who would we give up for a guy like that? I like Spencer Hawes.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Lets dream big and go for David West , overpay him and relegate Amir back to the bench.

Either that or we can get JJ Hickson and overpay him.

Oh wait BC isn't the GM anymore we can't overpay players.
                      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

#bringbackdorsey

Comment

I would prefer Jason Maxiell than Blair as Blair has limited mobility and very limited hops due to weak knees (no ACL's). This was displayed by his tear drops attempts in the paint in game 2. I like Blair's passion and flare, but it would be bad for his health if raps sign him where he plays a much bigger role. I think raps already have a blair/maxiell type of player in acy.

No to Perkins. He hasn't been the same since he left Boston. He's more useless than Aaron Gray. raps would have to overpay big time to get West, Millsap, Jefferson, or Hickson. Not sure about landry. How about Kenyon Martin? Would love his attitude and passion in the lockerroom. And he schooled Jonas and Amir at the ACC on both ends of the floor (I saw that live!).

Comment

I'd like to see Amir Johnson as our back up Big.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                              What's his deal, Is he a UFA? Who would we give up for a guy like that? I like Spencer Hawes.
                              Spencer Hawes has one more year on his contract, worth $6.5M

Andrea Bargnani for Hawes and L. Allen (to balance out salaries). If they can resign Andrew Bynum, Bargnani would fit very well next to Bynum.

Or we could do a Derozan for Turner and Hawes, but Derozan has to making 10M for the salaries to balance, and on Trade Machine he is still making 3M

I think the 2nd option is favorable way of dealing Derozan, as Turner would be a better fit next to Gay
                              Lowry,
                              Turner, Ross
                              Gay, Fields
                              Amir, Hawes
                              JV,
                              Use Bargnani to find PG back up and we are set.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
                              X