No announcement yet.

Reasons Why We Will Make The Playoffs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons Why We Will Make The Playoffs.

We're going to be a much better team next year, especially with a full training camp. The only way I see us not making the playoffs is injuries.

Reasons why we'll make he playoffs:

Kyle Lowry getting into shape, playing like he did in the beggining of the season and this time WITH a full training camp.

DeMar DeRozan improving himself in the offseason, as he always does. I'm pretty sure he'll be knocking down more 3's and even be dishing the ball a few times, might even get better defense because of him being mentored by Gary Payton now.

Rudy Gay taking over the team and being the man, he'll allow DeMar to flourish and also will DeMar.

Amir Johnson being Amir Johnson, but an improved one. I know he's already working on his game.

Jonas Valanciunas, hopefully he can learn to not make mistakes next season, then we can see how he really plays though 30 min a game. Also, I heard he's working on his strength and agility right now which means he's going to improve even more, I also heard he will work on his post moves more, he will also be playing in the Lithuania or something like that.

Landry Fields getting an offseason to get his shot form back, and recover from the surgery.

Terrence Ross coming back not as a rookie will hopefully help, heard he's working on his game also.

ADDITIONS:

Andrea Bargnani, whoever he gets traded for, count on Masai Ujiri a great trader to get something done, and hopefully getting into the draft and getting someone that'll help the team in it's needs.

OTHERS:

Quincy Acy
    John Lucas is a great 3rd PG imo.
    Aaron Gray

Seriously, with a training camp, and the chemistry the Raptors have made during the ending of the season, the Raptors are gonna be a team to watch next season. And I'm not even mentioning anything Masai might get done which will most likely improve the team.

.... I guess you could say I'm really excited.

There's no way you can possibly say that right now. As fans, we have no idea at this point whether MU even intends to compete for the playoffs next year. For all we know, he could be planning to absolutely blow-up the team and go into full 'tank' mode, to completely rebuild the team over the next 1-3 seasons.

To simply review the entire current roster (minus the seemingly inevitable subtractions of Bargnani & Kleiza) and list reasons for that team to be better next season, also goes completely against everything that TA & MU have said so far. They have both blatantly said that the roster is not good enough to compete, as it is structured today. I think it would be dangerous for any fan to think that trading/amnestying Bargnani and Kleiza are the only necessary moves, to make the team competitive enough for TA/MU's liking.

I agree that the current roster is good/young enough to be able to improve on this year's record, simply through organic growth. However, with BC no longer running the team, I think it's a complete waste of time to view the team through that sort of lens. That ship has long since sailed, IMO; this team will be rebuilt/retooled to some substantial degree.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jun 17, 2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      We're going to be a much better team next year, especially with a full training camp. The only way I see us not making the playoffs is injuries.

Seriously, with a training camp, and the chemistry the Raptors have made during the ending of the season, the Raptors are gonna be a team to watch next season. And I'm not even mentioning anything Masai might get done which will most likely improve the team.

How could MU possibly improve the team significantly, while also keeping all the players you mentioned in your analysis (Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Johnson, Valanciunas, Fields, Ross, Acy, Lucas, Gray)? Assuming Anderson, Telfair and Pietrus all walk as UFAs, you're basically hoping that MU can work a miracle and turn Bargnani & Kleiza (and draft picks?) into better players to further upgrade the roster.

I think you need to temper your excitement. We all need to sit back and watch the offseason unfold under MU's guidance, then revisit expectations as the team heads into training camp. At the very least, we need to wait for the first domino to fall, to at least shed some light on the direction this team is headed in the immediate/short term.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jun 17, 2013, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Assuming little player movement, the single biggest reason why the Raps will make the playoffs next year:

The east is terrible.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          How could MU possibly improve the team significantly, while also keeping all the players you mentioned in your analysis (Lowry, DeRozan, Gay, Johnson, Valanciunas, Fields, Ross, Acy, Lucas, Gray)? Assuming Anderson, Telfair and Pietrus all walk as UFAs, you're basically hoping that MU can work a miracle and turn Bargnani & Kleiza (and draft picks?) into better players to further upgrade the roster..
          If we trade those players (Starters + Ross, and Fields), we are most likely getting talent back

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            Assuming little player movement, the single biggest reason why the Raps will make the playoffs next year:

The east is terrible.
            Yeah I agree, if we were in the West we probably wouldn't make the playoffs.

Comment

Kyle Lowry getting into shape, playing like he did in the beggining of the season and this time WITH a full training camp.

DeMar DeRozan improving himself in the offseason, as he always does. I'm pretty sure he'll be knocking down more 3's and even be dishing the ball a few times, might even get better defense because of him being mentored by Gary Payton now.

Rudy Gay taking over the team and being the man, he'll allow DeMar to flourish and also will DeMar.

Amir Johnson being Amir Johnson, but an improved one. I know he's already working on his game.

Jonas Valanciunas, hopefully he can learn to not make mistakes next season, then we can see how he really plays though 30 min a game. Also, I heard he's working on his strength and agility right now which means he's going to improve even more, I also heard he will work on his post moves more, he will also be playing in the Lithuania or something like that.

Landry Fields getting an offseason to get his shot form back, and recover from the surgery.

Terrence Ross coming back not as a rookie will hopefully help, heard he's working on his game also.

ADDITIONS:

Andrea Bargnani, whoever he gets traded for, count on Masai Ujiri a great trader to get something done, and hopefully getting into the draft and getting someone that'll help the team in it's needs.

OTHERS:

Quincy Acy
              Aaron Gray.
              This is really a best case scenario though I would not bet on all this happening, it is however nice to see some optimism!

Comment

I like seeing threads like these. Hopefully this doesn't get torn to bits.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

The east is terrible.
                  Here is the problem with that argument: it assumes that the teams that were bad will stay bad.

At a minimum, Miami, Indiana, New York and Chicago will all make the playoffs. Those are basically givens. So we aren't competing for one of eight slots; really, we're competing for one of four. For those remaining four slots, Brooklyn almost certainly takes one. Philly probably does too because 2012-13 was an outlier for them: they spent last season getting the same record we did but with their star player on whom they gambled and lost out for an entire season, and this offseason they have a lot of room to sign some quality guys and get back into contention (or maybe they re-sign Bynum for a small amount and gamble again, but with much less risk).

So two slots left, and who will we be going up against? Milwaukee, who may frankly will probably get better now that Monta Ellis is leaving. Atlanta, who will probably snag at least a #7 or #8 seed, and that assumes they don't pull off the Dwight Howard coup they want (which they likely won't). Washington, who played extremely good ball in the second half of the season when John Wall returned - certainly better than we did - and who should improve this offseason with another very solid draft pick. Cleveland, who will either draft even more young talent or who will trade that #1 pick for Kevin Love or someone similar, and who should contend this year.

The overall talent level in the East is lower than in the West. Big deal - we're still only barely a playoff team at best right now. Maybe DeMar finally makes the big leap we all want, maybe JoVal becomes a sensation, maybe Ross becomes the next Danny Green, maybe Rudy finds consistency and basketball IQ. But let's not hold our breath.

Comment

I was actually coming here to start a thread like this.

My perspective is half the entire league going to tank to try to land wiggins or other high lottery picks. Raptors to take advantage of the situation? Raptors to ECF?

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                      Here is the problem with that argument: it assumes that the teams that were bad will stay bad.

So two slots left, and who will we be going up against? Milwaukee, who may frankly will probably get better now that Monta Ellis is leaving. Atlanta, who will probably snag at least a #7 or #8 seed, and that assumes they don't pull off the Dwight Howard coup they want (which they likely won't). Washington, who played extremely good ball in the second half of the season when John Wall returned - certainly better than we did - and who should improve this offseason with another very solid draft pick. Cleveland, who will either draft even more young talent or who will trade that #1 pick for Kevin Love or someone similar, and who should contend this year.
                      I don't think Washington, Cleveland, or Milwaukee have a better chance than we do. Atlanta with the cap space they have, even if they don't get Dwight/CP3 they could still sign quality players.

But Washington ended off the season pretty bad, correct me if im wrong. Also, Nene and Okafor were inconsistent last season especially Nene, they're also getting older next season which makes it even more worse. Even with the draft pick they don't have as much threats as we do. Also because our team knows how to play with eachother right now, too.

Milwaukee wasn't much better than us last season, but they made the playoffs so I'll have to say they were the better team, but I don't think they'll be better without Monta their leading scorer. Also, Brandon Jennings might not even resign, but he might also. We are the better team I'd say.

Cleveland is still too young, Jonas is better than Thompson, or will be next season at the least, I'd pick DeMar over Dion, Gay over any of their forwards, but Kyrie over Lowry. I know that's not a great explanation but I'd still pick the Raptors over the Cavs even though they'll improve next year.

Comment

At a minimum, Miami, Indiana, New York and Chicago will all make the playoffs. Those are basically givens. So we aren't competing for one of eight slots; really, we're competing for one of four. For those remaining four slots, Brooklyn almost certainly takes one. Philly probably does too because 2012-13 was an outlier for them: they spent last season getting the same record we did but with their star player on whom they gambled and lost out for an entire season, and this offseason they have a lot of room to sign some quality guys and get back into contention (or maybe they re-sign Bynum for a small amount and gamble again, but with much less risk).

The overall talent level in the East is lower than in the West. Big deal - we're still only barely a playoff team at best right now. Maybe DeMar finally makes the big leap we all want, maybe JoVal becomes a sensation, maybe Ross becomes the next Danny Green, maybe Rudy finds consistency and basketball IQ. But let's not hold our breath.
                        I agree with you. I wasn't trying to claim the Raps are guaranteed a playoff spot (that said I do think the odds of them making the playoffs as things stand is strong). There is plenty that can happen that could change that. Even Detroit between Drummond/Monroe/Singler and perhaps retaining Jose + a load of cap space could make a strong push aswell depending on what direction they decide to take with the team.

What I meant more than anything is its the weakness of the conference (and likely the number of teams that will tank, similar to 2011/12) is what will make the Raps appear better than they are.

Comment

ADDITIONS:

OTHERS:

Quincy Acy
                          Aaron Gray

Doug Smith? Is that you?

In all severity, I don't see this roster even being in existence by the time the playoffs roll around so there's no way to say if they'll be there or not. If they are, I don't share your enthusiasm. If anyone has watched the NBA playoffs this year, it's pretty telling that the top 8 teams are on another level. Going to take some major changes to get the Raps in the mix.
                          There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

What he said.
                            There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Reasons we make the playoffs: Rudy Motherf*cking Gay
                              #BringBackUzoh

Comment

Working...
                              X