Are Casey and Masai Really on the Same Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Casey and Masai Really on the Same Page

We have had a chance to see Masai in several pressers, as well as listen to some interviews on the radio. ditto for Casey. The latest audio clip, from McCowan's interview on June 19th after the announcement that Casey was going to continue as head coach for the year, contains several flat out declarations from Casey.

Most telling for me was his statement that they essentially agree on the strengths and weaknesses of the roster. There was a little hedging by Casey immediately after he said they were on the same page with regards to the individual players. I am not sure if this means they disagree that they need to move particular guys, or maybe if they disagree on a particular guys value to the team. Hypothetically they could disagree over Amir...Casey putting a higher value on the fact that the is zero maintenance, supports his teammates 100%, and is almost always available to play for instance, as opposed to Masai maybe saying he has a weak jumpshot from more than 12 feet out and wanting someone who is a better passer (I'm just making this shit up to give an example).

Casey and Masai have both stated how important the culture of the team is, which aligns completely with what Casey said in his first year. They have both described pretty much the same culture, from what I have heard and read...that is one where players put the team first, everybody goes hard every play, good effort is rewarded, players are expected to work on their individual games, and everybody in the organization has their eyeballs fixed on a championship.

One the other hand, last year we heard Casey make some statements that, on the face of it, were incredible. The infamous 'We're going to go with Bargnani no matter what...He's our guy' (paraphrasing) which sounded more like words BC was putting in his mouth. So he is quite capable of spouting the party line apparently...hard to believe he actually believed what he was saying there.

What do you think? Same page, or not, or maybe?
    Yes, completely
    11.11%
    Pretty much, footnotes differ.
    27.78%
    I'll say whatever I need to say to keep my job.
    61.11%

Ha, just listened to the interview with Masai from TSN. Pretty much answers the question.

According to Masai they both agree on the team direction, Masai looks forward to having the opportunity to hear differing points of view and has no problem with it.

On another note, Masia mentions he has tried to hire Bobby Webster three times and is glad to have finally made it. I wonder if the reason he finally succeeded was because TLSE allowed him to offer more money than Denver did.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      Ha, just listened to the interview with Masai from TSN. Pretty much answers the question.

According to Masai they both agree on the team direction, Masai looks forward to having the opportunity to hear differing points of view and has no problem with it.

On another note, Masia mentions he has tried to hire Bobby Webster three times and is glad to have finally made it. I wonder if the reason he finally succeeded was because TLSE allowed him to offer more money than Denver did.
      Probably. I mean, they did pluck him from NY. I don't know if they were paying him a lot, but I doubt Denver would be willing to bid on him, considering they wouldn't bid on their own GM. Money's usually the biggest factor.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility that it being a move to Toronto, not Denver, while not critical, was a nice bonus, especially if you're coming from NY.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Probably. I mean, they did pluck him from NY. I don't know if they were paying him a lot, but I doubt Denver would be willing to bid on him, considering they wouldn't bid on their own GM. Money's usually the biggest factor.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility that it being a move to Toronto, not Denver, while not critical, was a nice bonus, especially if you're coming from NY.
        Do you mean the Knicks or from the NBA head office?

He came from head office.

Comment

I think Casey is a good soldier and will toe company line - whatever it is.

I have a lot more faith you are getting more of the truth of his feelings with Ujiri than Colangelo. I mean everything he spouted on Bargnani is the exact opposite to everything else he has said.

Comment

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...nship-calibre/ Sorry if posted but Casey has a great interview here apparently Rudy has bulked up and has been working hard.... I thought he was a bit of a slacker.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
              http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...nship-calibre/ Sorry if posted but Casey has a great interview here apparently Rudy has bulked up and has been working hard.... I thought he was a bit of a slacker.
              That is specifically the interview that prompted my questions. Casey says they are on the same page, then prevaricates 15 seconds later, when talking about the roster.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                We have had a chance to see Masai in several pressers, as well as listen to some interviews on the radio. ditto for Casey. The latest audio clip, from McCowan's interview on June 19th after the announcement that Casey was going to continue as head coach for the year, contains several flat out declarations from Casey.

Most telling for me was his statement that they essentially agree on the strengths and weaknesses of the roster. There was a little hedging by Casey immediately after he said they were on the same page with regards to the individual players. I am not sure if this means they disagree that they need to move particular guys, or maybe if they disagree on a particular guys value to the team. Hypothetically they could disagree over Amir...Casey putting a higher value on the fact that the is zero maintenance, supports his teammates 100%, and is almost always available to play for instance, as opposed to Masai maybe saying he has a weak jumpshot from more than 12 feet out and wanting someone who is a better passer (I'm just making this shit up to give an example).

Casey and Masai have both stated how important the culture of the team is, which aligns completely with what Casey said in his first year. They have both described pretty much the same culture, from what I have heard and read...that is one where players put the team first, everybody goes hard every play, good effort is rewarded, players are expected to work on their individual games, and everybody in the organization has their eyeballs fixed on a championship.

One the other hand, last year we heard Casey make some statements that, on the face of it, were incredible. The infamous 'We're going to go with Bargnani no matter what...He's our guy' (paraphrasing) which sounded more like words BC was putting in his mouth. So he is quite capable of spouting the party line apparently...hard to believe he actually believed what he was saying there.

What do you think? Same page, or not, or maybe?
                I think Casey would speak his mind. When he said that line about bargnani, you could see in his face that although he was saying the party line, he said it aloud just to make someone realize how ridiculous it sounded

Comment

@Puffer you mean Casey talking about wanting hard nosed vets a big to get boards and tough buckets while Ujiri is talking all youth and more youth building towards a team that ages and develops together?

When Tom asked what do you want done with the Roster? I was waiting and hoping for I think Tom was too a Bargnani trade answer, But Casey showed maturity and gave another good answer, and I dont think he wants to waste his breath on anymore topics related to Bargnani...

Ujiri has been moot about Bargs as well What about Bargnani?? "Right...now Bargnani is......A Toronto Raptor... hahaha" -Ujiri
                  Last edited by Rapstor4Life; Thu Jun 20, 2013, 09:20 AM.

Comment

**WARNING: RANT AHEAD**

Good interview but I can't stand hearing we have enough youth. Enough already. Enough. Please.

You need TALENT.

TALENT.

It does not matter how old the TALENT is.

Lets look at the average age of the Raptors: 26.3
                    That is tied for 12th with 2 other teams (one being OKC). 13 teams in the league are as young or younger.
                    The youngest team in the league is Houston - a rising playoff team. Of those 13 teams who are younger, 5 are playoff teams. 1 was a conference finalist. MEM was .1 of a year older and another conference finalist.

The Raptors are 13th in experience: 4.3 years.
                    There are 4 playoff teams with LESS experience and one of those teams (4th least experience - Indiana) was a conference finalist.

http://en.hispanosnba.com/teams/comparison

SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP WITH THE WE ARE TOO YOUNG!

The Raptors are average and they need more TALENT on more cost effective contracts. There are too many average to below average talent on expensive contracts.

**END RANT**

Comment

Not to be a cynic (again), but so much of this is a repeat of what we've heard before from coaches and management.

Casey - Rudy is a star vs Andrea is a star. Lowry must improve vs Demar must improve

Masai - has no problems with, and likes hearing, differing opinions vs Colangelo who said the same thing

Everyone - building a culture vs 2 years ago when everyone talked about building culture aswell.

Its all talk that makes little difference to me at this point.

I don't doubt that, for now anyways, Casey will be on whatever page Masai wants him on.

Comment

A lot of what we are hearing now is just lip service.. we won't really know how it plays out until the season starts. Casey was saying some great things prior to the start of last season - but then they started 4-19 and then 'hell or high water' happened. I am going to take any thing they say now with a huge grain of salt.

One thing for sure is that Casey is on the hot seat.. this could be his last head coaching job for a long while, or possibly forever.. it's nice that Masai is giving him a year to prove himself but if I were Casey I would be doing exactly what Masai wanted me to do so that I have a chance of coming back next season.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          A lot of what we are hearing now is just lip service.. we won't really know how it plays out until the season starts. Casey was saying some great things prior to the start of last season - but then they started 4-19 and then 'hell or high water' happened. I am going to take any thing they say now with a huge grain of salt.
                          Yep. The one thing that gives me some confidence, as opposed to the "culture change" after Bosh left, is that there is a new group of people in charge implementing the changes. Not saying it will work but it has a far greater chance of success than what has previously been tried.

As for Casey, he'll coach the way he needs to coach to keep his job. As for personnel, Ujiri gave Karl a mix of youth and vets and one of the supposed fault lines was Karl relying too much on guys like Miller and Iggy and not playing some of the younger guys enough. Just food for thought.

Comment

Was hearing the interview in the car so not particularly fully attentive but I heard DC somewhat waffle on the "total agreement with Masai" position when he said (paraphrase) "we may not be on the same paragraph but are definitely on the same page". I chuckled.

As others have noted does DC have any choice about doing exactly what MU expects?

Comment

@Puffer you mean Casey talking about wanting hard nosed vets a big to get boards and tough buckets while Ujiri is talking all youth and more youth building towards a team that ages and develops together?...
                              More or less. the particular quote that got me thinking was when the discussion got to the roster. Casey pointed to a difference in how they saw particular payers value. I took that to mean that Casey might put a high value on Amir (as a hypothetical example) for whatever reason, and want to retain him, whereas Masai might not value him so much, or not enough to keep as opposed to trade. I caught distinct overtones that there had been some discussion about particular players where they were going to agree to disagree.

Comment

Working...
                              X