Grizzled Vets and Young Tough Guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzled Vets and Young Tough Guys!

Both are the stated targets of the Raptors organization.

so shoot, who do you think would make a good target?

Have your say

ROOKIE TOUGH:

YOUNG TOUGH:
    Ivan Johnson - free agent
    Tony Allen - free agent
    Brandon Bass - reasonable contract on a soon to be blown up Celtics squad

VETERAN TOUGH:
    Reggie Evans - 1.6, and 1.7 million over two years with Brooklyn

ALREADY TOUGH:
    Amir Johnson
    Jonas Valanciunas
    maybe Acy
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

I think "tough" could just as easily refer to guys who are mentally tough (ie: not overly emotional, less highs and lows, not checking out of games, not putting themselves ahead of the team, etc...).

I think a big part of the franchise's makeover is going to be all about finding players who put the team first, bring consistent effort for every play/game, hold themselves and their teammates accountable for their efforts & actions, and lead by example by leaving it all on the court. This franchise's new management team wants to shed the image of being a 'soft' team (insert Bargnani attack here), not only with regards to how they defend, but to the more general culture of the team. Players who fold under pressure, whine too much, disappear for stretches (I'm looking at you DeMar and Rudy), only care about personal stats (bye bye Anderson) or sulk when they're reminded that the team comes first (Bayless style), should be worried. That's one area where I definitely think MU and DC can be/are on the same page.

I think MU wants to go with a retooling youth movement, to a point, but also understands that it requires high-character veterans (along with the coaching staff) to instill this sort of culture/mentality into the young players. Therefore, I think we'll see a combination of 'rookie/young tough' and 'veteran tough' players added, while any current 'weak' players will wind up being jettisoned from the roster.

What it all comes down to, ultimately, is instilling and building a winning attitude in the entire franchise; top-down (starting with TL, ME and DC) and bottom-up (hence the need to add 'tough' players and remove 'weak' players).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 21, 2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Not sure about the youth of your young group. Johnson was late arrival to the NBA but is 29 and Tony Allen is 31 with almost 10 years in the league. Bass is still 28, which should be the upper-echelon of "young"
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

holy shit for some reason I thought Tony Allen was a lot younger than that
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

2004 draft. Don't forget, he played for the Celtics for years before going to Memphis.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Dorrell Wright

3-D-Reb

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              2004 draft. Don't forget, he played for the Celtics for years before going to Memphis.
              I didn't really remember hearing about him until 08/09. Probably why I had him still placed as a young guy. I should have done my homework on that one

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                I didn't really remember hearing about him until 08/09. Probably why I had him still placed as a young guy. I should have done my homework on that one
                He was part of the Hoffa draft, so Raps fans tend to block everyone from that year. He felt he was overshadowed by Pierce and Ray Allen, so he signed with Memphis. He is likely done as a starter, but he would still help the team.

I agree with Matt on Dorrell Wright. Other free agents I'd like to see them target are:
                Martell Webster (career .384% from 3PT, set career best 106 DRtg last year (same as Lowry and JV)),

Luke Babbitt (stretch 4 shot .430 and .348 from 3PT last 2 years),

Wayne Ellington, and

Cartier Martin (UFA - Minimum Guy - SF - 3PT% over last 4 seasons, .389, .394, .387, .397 in limited role 128 GP over 4 - 6'7" 220lbs - 28 yr old. Could be a decent depth/cheap option to replace AA.)

These guys are all a bit different but they all have 1 thing in common, 3 point shooting

Comment

I'd also call Sacramento about Jimmer Fredette. Dude can shoot and has the mental toughness. If we can get him for a good deal, then I'd pull the trigger.

Comment

If JV is going to become the #2 option on offense surrounding him with 3 and D guys will be crucial to spacing and punishing the double team.

Comment

I'd also call Sacramento about Jimmer Fredette. Dude can shoot and has the mental toughness. If we can get him for a good deal, then I'd pull the trigger.
                      Why would you want a taller version of JLIII? Are you a mormon?

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                        Why would you want a taller version of JLIII? Are you a mormon?
                        I believe the french call it.....Le Upside

Comment

I would as well.

I wouldn't do anything that did not include the #7 pick but Jimmer/#7/Thompson and if that is too greedy Id settle for Jimmer/#7/Salmons who has $1m buyout for 2013-14.

Comment

Salmons and Ariza are two guys that seem to have given up and settled for the paycheque

Comment

a better question to ask is what nuggets players are free agents?
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X