Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Draft Day Everyone! Big changes coming? What do you want to see happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    lol, yup. Shouldn't surprise anyone if absolutely nothing happens tonight.
    Sigh....

Comment

• coastal wrote: View Post
      Like many people I had a modest hope to pick up a 1st round pick somewhere in the teens and then maybe find an early 2nd round pick to draft Myck Kabongo. Well, we can still get Kabongo and do so without losing any assets. Tough luck for him though, must be heart-breaking.
      Heartbreaking... or Amazing! Lol Look at Wesley Matthews.
      He went undrafted and by year 2 he was making more money then everyone not selected #1.

Comment

• tkfu wrote: View Post
        I think it was more his inability to hit a jumper off the bounce, even when wide open, that really tanked his stock. Now, if you wanna be optimistic, you could compare him to Rondo in that way, in that his other skills might make up for it--but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to be in that discussion yet.
        Lacking a jumper is one of the most common "issues" for any rookie PG. Jose also could not hit a shot to save his life when he came to the NBA, and he was an older rookie. If that's all it was, that's a stupid reason not to take someone with good size, speed and excellent natural PG skills which would all translate very well to the NBA.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
          wow, I expected Myck to have been drafted by now..
          Wow, Denham Brown flashback.

Comment

• The Knicks got good value at 24. They didn't take a guy with huge upside but I'm pretty sure he's a guy who hangs around for a long time and has an impact, sort of like Mo Pete.

Comment

• Why do I feel hungover?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Rumors, intoxicating but rarely have substance. I was hoping for a move last night too Ceez. I want this Bargnani thing over with already. I probably won't get my wish until mid to late July...

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  I doubt it. I think he's going to retool
                  Half the eastern conference playoff teams have blown up their teams. This is our best chance to get deep into the playoffs and break that win-loss record of 47 wins.
                  Dude, 'deep into the playoffs'? Against which teams? Miami, Indy, NJ and Chicago are all significantly better than Toronto. So are the Knicks. The best you can hope for is a first round drubbing. Being 4-0/4-1 first round cannon fodder is not my idea of a deep playoff run.

Comment

• Thank God Masai Did Nothing Last Night...

...because now we know at least one thing for sure...two things actually. The least important is that he runs a tight ship. No leaks about what they wanted, who they were targeting etc. I believe a GM who plays his cards that close to his chest is going to have an advantage over the leaky ships some other organizations run.

Second thing is that he demonstrated that in no way is he going to take or make a deal just to be seen to be active. As has been noted before, MLSE certainly reads/browses the fan boards, either formally or informally and are kept apprised of fan expectations by reporters/journalists/media hacks: "Masai, there are a lot of fans out there hoping for big things on draft night. Can you give us a hint of what direction the Raps might be taking to keep their season ticket holders happY?"

Masai knew that if he did nothing, he would be taking some heat. So he did nothing. I will take that 100 times out of 100, as opposed to making even a slight deal that is not beneficial to the team, but presents the front of being proactive.

Welcome to the new era, in the Raptors Republic, of considered, substantive, and advantageous moves.

Step by step to a championship, Baby!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      ...because now we know at least one thing for sure...two things actually. The least important is that he runs a tight ship. No leaks about what they wanted, who they were targeting etc. I believe a GM who plays his cards that close to his chest is going to have an advantage over the leaky ships some other organizations run.

Second thing is that he demonstrated that in no way is he going to take or make a deal just to be seen to be active. As has been noted before, MLSE certainly reads/browses the fan boards, either formally or informally and are kept apprised of fan expectations by reporters/journalists/media hacks: "Masai, there are a lot of fans out there hoping for big things on draft night. Can you give us a hint of what direction the Raps might be taking to keep their season ticket holders happY?"

Masai knew that if he did nothing, he would be taking some heat. So he did nothing. I will take that 100 times out of 100, as opposed to making even a slight deal that is not beneficial to the team, but presents the front of being proactive.

Welcome to the new era, in the Raptors Republic, of considered, substantive, and advantageous moves.

You are likely right.

Still was really hoping for something.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

The only thing I got from the draft yesterday as it pertains to the Raptors is that:

1) Despite publicily stating he wanted to get into the draft, and teams giving away picks like they were a litter of unwanted kittens, Masai did not. I'm glad for this because we have enough end of the bench players that are waiting to fade into obscurity. If you don't see promise in anyone then don't do something for the sake of appearance as you already stated.

2) By not adding another rookie/project the message sent to fans could be that we are trying to compete now, and not tank and rebuild. I beleive Liewike said the message would be clear by the draft, and I don't know what other message we could presume after last night.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          Dude, 'deep into the playoffs'? Against which teams? Miami, Indy, NJ and Chicago are all significantly better than Toronto. So are the Knicks. The best you can hope for is a first round drubbing. Being 4-0/4-1 first round cannon fodder is not my idea of a deep playoff run.
                          How can you say that with so much confidence? Btw its Brooklyn not NJ...
                          The Raptors IMO will be a better team than Brooklyn and NYC. NYC tried to go all in last year and couldn't, now they barely have any room to operate with all the money locked into their injury prone front court of Amar'e, Melo, and Chandler. As for Brooklyn, i think they are massively overrated. They traded Gerald wallace for two Vets who are on their last legs as NBA players, KG will probably retire within a year and same with paul pierce.

Comment

• I'll agree on NYC. I don't know how they expect to improve. Shumpert's going to have to make a gigantic leap.

BKL though, it's a good trade for them. They get significantly better for next season. KG is far better than Hump and Evans combined. Pierce gives them shooting they DESPERATELY lacked apart from Johnson and Williams. They will be a better team on paper, and they will get some quality leaders to make Deron stop being a lazy prick and pick his game up.

Comment

• Brooklyn did a very stupid thing very soon that team is going to suck again. As for Ujiri I think he's giving the roster a boxers chance so to speak you want to be a part of the tram prove your worth this season or else you ate an asset on the table to trade into 2014 draft. He just became GM I think he wants to see what he has rather than blindly dismantle and then go shopping.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                Brooklyn did a very stupid thing very soon that team is going to suck again. As for Ujiri I think he's giving the roster a boxers chance so to speak you want to be a part of the tram prove your worth this season or else you ate an asset on the table to trade into 2014 draft. He just became GM I think he wants to see what he has rather than blindly dismantle and then go shopping.
                                There's a flaw in your logic. According to the insider 'experts', 2014 draft picks (let alone lottery picks) are already extremely hard to come by. If MU waits until the end of the season (or even the trade deadline) to decide on players like Gay, DeRozan and Ross (no other Raps are even close to being worth a high 1st round pick, assuming JV is untouchable), then they fail to improve or possibly even decline, why would other teams giveup a 2014 1st round pick for a player who is now visibly on the decline? All MU would be doing is letting a valuable asset lose trade value - exactly what BC did with Bargnani, hoping year after year that he'd suddenly breakout with significant improvement, until he had lost all trade value.

Comment

Working...
                                X