Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Draft Day Everyone! Big changes coming? What do you want to see happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True but unlike this year MU by the time 2014 draft rolls around has picks to use to his benefit as well.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
      Brooklyn did a very stupid thing very soon that team is going to suck again. As for Ujiri I think he's giving the roster a boxers chance so to speak you want to be a part of the tram prove your worth this season or else you ate an asset on the table to trade into 2014 draft. He just became GM I think he wants to see what he has rather than blindly dismantle and then go shopping.
      This makes no sense. If a player doesn't "prove his worth" then it's just Bargnani all over again: turning a potentially tradeable asset into a white elephant no team will trade for. In our case that goes double because most of our players have lousy contracts, so if they screw up they become even MORE untradeable.

Ujiri knows what he has because everybody knows what we have: a bunch of okay-to-good players who don't particularly mesh well together and some total crap, and almost all of them are overpaid.

Comment

• As a sidenote, last night did one important thing: it established the price for a 2014 draft pick with lottery potential.

The math for that pick is [worth of Jrue Holiday, an All-Star point guard] minus [worth of Nerlens Noel, an untested first-round pick who slid because of injury concerns].

In short: 2014 picks are going to be extremely expensive, and moreso if they have lottery potential. Rudy, JV and DeMar are probably the only guys who would net us a 2014 first-rounder, and we'd probably have to take crap along with the pick for DeMar.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
          As a sidenote, last night did one important thing: it established the price for a 2014 draft pick with lottery potential.

The math for that pick is [worth of Jrue Holiday, an All-Star point guard] minus [worth of Nerlens Noel, an untested first-round pick who slid because of injury concerns].

In short: 2014 picks are going to be extremely expensive, and moreso if they have lottery potential. Rudy, JV and DeMar are probably the only guys who would net us a 2014 first-rounder, and we'd probably have to take crap along with the pick for DeMar.
          Good point. Don't forget, that 2014 1st round pick going to Philly is also top-5 protected, adding additional value to 2014 picks.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
            How can you say that with so much confidence? Btw its Brooklyn not NJ...
            The Raptors IMO will be a better team than Brooklyn and NYC. NYC tried to go all in last year and couldn't, now they barely have any room to operate with all the money locked into their injury prone front court of Amar'e, Melo, and Chandler. As for Brooklyn, i think they are massively overrated. They traded Gerald wallace for two Vets who are on their last legs as NBA players, KG will probably retire within a year and same with paul pierce.
            Brooklyn won 49 games last year. They added two players who, while clearly not anywhere near their prime, can still be effective in reduced minutes and are miles better than the players they are replacing. They still have Williams and Lopez who are both very good players. Yeah, Brooklyn is a pretender but they were way, way better than Toronto last year and they will be better than last year. The Knicks won 54 games. I agree that the Knicks may have peaked but they were 20 games better than Toronto and have only lost Kidd.

This team won 34 games last year. Now, I understand there are some mitigating factors at play but the Raps are not going to improve by 15 wins overnight. Not without significant upgrades.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Brooklyn won 49 games last year. They added two players who, while clearly not anywhere near their prime, can still be effective in reduced minutes and are miles better than the players they are replacing. They still have Williams and Lopez who are both very good players. Yeah, Brooklyn is a pretender but they were way, way better than Toronto last year and they will be better than last year. The Knicks won 54 games. I agree that the Knicks may have peaked but they were 20 games better than Toronto and have only lost Kidd.

This team won 34 games last year. Now, I understand there are some mitigating factors at play but the Raps are not going to improve by 15 wins overnight. Not without significant upgrades.
              I don't get how you guys think talent is an issue. We arguably have 4 top 10 players their position (If JV makes a leap next year, he could be top 5). IMO it has more to do with the system than the actual players, this team had no identity and the offense was horrendous. That is what this team needs to improve on, playing as a unit and improving on both ends of the floor while creating a defensive identity.
              You can't count this team out just yet. Its too early

Comment

• Miami took Kabongo....fuckers
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• With Chalmers, Cole and ? why would he go there? Seriously, doesnt he have a better chance of cracking our lineup...and being in his hometown? Maybe Bosh invited him to dinner?

Comment

IWe arguably have 4 top 10 players their position (If JV makes a leap next year, he could be top 5).
                      What? Who? The only guy you could make an argument for is Gay and he's at the back end of the list. Lebron, Melo, Durant, Pierce, George and Leonard are all better players and that isn't even counting guys like Young, Josh Smith and Ilyasova who are sorta SFs.

Lowry, Derozan, Amir and JV are all average to slightly above average players, which is why the team won 34 games and finished in the bottom half of the NBA. Now JV will get better cause he's a stud. But the other guys are mediocre. If the Raps had 4 top-10 players at their respective positions, the team would already be a legit second round playoff team or even a championship contender. Even Miami, OKC, Indy and SA can't boast they have such a lineup and they are the championship favourites.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        With Chalmers, Cole and ? why would he go there? Seriously, doesnt he have a better chance of cracking our lineup...and being in his hometown? Maybe Bosh invited him to dinner?
                        Ya but which team would you rather play for?

Edit: Also Cole is a scoring PG, Kabongo is a passing PG so theoretically they could both act as Chalmers' backup depending on the situation.

Comment

• our current roster when healthy is 38 - 48 wins and at most a 2nd round playoff exit. So tweaks are necessary, let's not kid ourselves. If Rudy and JV both blow up then we will be closer to 50. This is taking into consideration the number of teams going fishing for Wiggins
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I don't get how you guys think talent is an issue. We arguably have 4 top 10 players their position (If JV makes a leap next year, he could be top 5). IMO it has more to do with the system than the actual players, this team had no identity and the offense was horrendous. That is what this team needs to improve on, playing as a unit and improving on both ends of the floor while creating a defensive identity.
                            Lowry is ot a top 10 PG. Paul, Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, D-Will, Wall, Curry, Holiday, Lawson, Parker. Stopping there without listing more. That's 10. Those guys are all better than Lowry. Hands down.

DeMar may be a top 10 SG, but he's not a top 40 player, probably. So it's more an indictment of the weakness of the position.

Gay is maybe top 5 SF on a good night....he doesn't have enough of those though. I don't think he's a top 20 player in this league.

JV can be a top 5 C. I think he will be a top 10 C next season, at least by the end.

The Raps still need help, but it's not so bad. If they got a top 5 player somewhere and kept JV and Gay, they'd have a real core. Although for PGs might have to say top 10, because it's pretty hard to decide on an exact top 5 other than Paul and Rose (if he returns with no issues) being at the top.

Comment

First off:

Rudy - top 10, maybe, but definitely bottom half of the top 10 small forwards in the league. Do you take Rudy over LeBron, Durant, Carmelo, or Kawhi Leonard? No, you don't. And you probably have to think hard about whether you take Rudy over Luol Deng or Paul Pierce. And that's BEFORE you start thinking about Rudy's whale salary, which makes him worse by far.

DeMar - Not better than Kobe, Harden, Wade, Iguodala, and you probably don't take him over Ginobil, Joe Johnson, Jamal Crawford or K-Mart.

Lowry - Lowry isn't even top ten! CP3, Westbrook, Parker, Curry, Kyrie, John Wall, Deron Williams, Jrue, Lillard, Ty Lawson... I could go on here.

Amir - I love Amir, but power forward is the deepest position in the league, and he's not in the top 10. Duncan, Bosh, Josh Smith, Serge Ibaka, David Lee, Z-Bo, LMA, Dirk, David West, Millsap... there's a lot of contenders there for top 10 and Amir doesn't even come close to cracking it.

JoVal - Marc Gasol, Greg Monroe, Brook Lopez, Roy Hibbert, Dwight Howard, Anderson Varajao, Al Horford, Nikola Vucevic, Joakim Noah and Demarcus Cousins. JoVal has to play better than one of them to crack top ten. It'll take a banner year from him since bigs develop more slowly.

This is why we aren't a serious contender. Our guys are all either starter-quality or just below it, but we don't have any real star players (Rudy comes closest and "borderline All-Star" seems to be his ceiling). And worse, they don't facilitate each other: we have three dedicated scorers (Rudy, DeMar and Lowry) in our starting five! We don't have the talent for much more than a first-round playoff exit right now.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                                Miami took Kabongo....fuckers
                                Holy crap this is so what I was afraid of. They need a PG. He's got huge potential. Low pressure individually, but a good chance to earn a role on a good team and start developing his game. Fuck Miami. FUCK MIAMI. I hope a hurricane destroys their arena.

Comment

Working...
                                X