Quincy Acy a POWER 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quincy Acy a POWER 3?

Was watching the latest clip from Casey on the main page and I found it quite interesting that they plan on converting Acy from an undersized 4 to a power 3, something he referred to as a new position in the league. Interestingly enough a position I would argue Anthony Bennet fits into.

What do you think of this attempted reworking of Quincy Acy?

So interesting to me how many positions there are now.

Point Guard
    Scoring Point Guard
    Shooting Guard
    Combo Guard
    Small Forward
    Power 3
    Point Forward
    Stretch 4
    Power Forward
    Center
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

I like the idea. Acy doesn't have the height or the bulk to consistently bang down low with the big boys. But he's got a semi-decent mid-range jumper, and some quick hops. I'm curious to see how this materializes.

Hoping he's spending the offseason working on his ball-handling.

Comment

Its a cool idea, and since Acy can also hit the midrange jump shot Im all for it!

Landry and Acy will share backup 3 and backup 4 minutes.
      Until ofcourse we get ourselves another established Big.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I kinda see Gerald Wallace and Shawn Marion as precursors to that type of 3
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I'm not a big fan of tweeners, but I always thought Acy was more of a burly SF than an athetlic, undersized PF. Reggie Evans is an undersized PF, but Acy is more athletic and has a better offensive game (especially a decent jumper), which I think makes him much more of a tweener at least.

In certain situations, I think having him play SF on the 2nd unit could be beneficial (is it bad that my first thought was that having him at SF would help balance Bargnani at PF - yikes, sorry). However, I wouldn't want a tweener like him ever playing in the starting lineup, since true SF's would eat him for breakfast with their skill/quickness.

Comment

Well, positions are always a bit blurred....

But that said, I think I said when Acy was drafted that the only way he'll ever be more than an end of bencher for injuries/fouls is if he'll be able to play the 3.

I think it's a good thing. Again, I just view it as trying to maximize the player's value. He seems to have the tools of a guy who can play both forward spots. Obviously his game is more naturally a 4, but he needs to be able to defend both spots with success. Right now, I view Acy as a 3rd stringer....A guy who will not crack the top 10ish players on the rotation unless there is an emergency (injuries, fouls, ejections...). Modifying his game to matchup better against SFs could maybe even carry him into the end of the semi-regular rotation. A guy who can maybe play some D against a more natural PF, but also guard some freaks like LeBron and Melo who bully a lot of typical SFs. Could crack the top 9-10 as a situational player.

On a sidenote I realy love Acy's personality from the bit I've been exposed to it through clips and stuff on the net. I feel like he can be a critical locker room guy. But I also believe for such guys to have the biggest effect on the room, they've got to get enough time on the court and do battle with the other guys on a nightly basis.

And as for postion names....why not just call him a forward? They try to characterize players' skill sets, but it's all BS. If you're a stretch 4, it doesn't matter what you do on offense, what matters is if you can defend ALL types of 4s. And if you're a tweener, all that matters is that you can defend both positions, not be an offensive mismatch. So I'd just call him a forward, because he should be able to defend both such positions. Like Mbah a Moute.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jun 28, 2013, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Also same mold as Al-Farouq Aminu whose a tweener between 3 and 4
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Not a bad idea but I admit I am not sure of his quickness/lateral movement defensively as a 3....but even so he could be used as a 3 when the matchup is favorable and a 4 when in the small set. He has a motor and like Amir in time become a rotation asset.

Comment

If for some reason we're still stuck with Bargs at the beginning of next season, I'd be intrigued to see Acy in this role being subbed in with Bargs whenever he comes in. They can make up for each other's shortcomings:

- Bargs is actually a decent-to-good 1-on-1 post defender
                  - Acy's got the mobility and athleticism to provide good weak side help
                  - Bargs spaces the floor on offense while Acy and whoever's playing center crash the glass like madmen

Could be a decent way to give Bargs 15-18 minutes a night so he can up his trade value, without being a complete liability.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    Also same mold as Al-Farouq Aminu whose a tweener between 3 and 4
                    I would just prefer them to go get Aminu. He is only 1 month older than Acy FFS.

I'm a bitter Raptor fan right now.

I just drove 9 hours on 4 hours sleep and don't drink any sort of caffeine other than an odd diet soft drink but that didn't stop me from a can of RockStar to stay awake.

F*ck F&ck F%ck F#ck F@ck F^ck F$ck F!ck

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      the "u" is right between the "y" and "i" on your keyboard.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I would just prefer them to go get Aminu. He is only 1 month older than Acy FFS.

I'm a bitter Raptor fan right now.

I just drove 9 hours on 4 hours sleep and don't drink any sort of caffeine other than an odd diet soft drink but that didn't stop me from a can of RockStar to stay awake.

Now, now........

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          I kinda see Gerald Wallace and Shawn Marion as precursors to that type of 3
                          I think it goes back a lot further than that; I'd say that for most of the 80s and 90s the prototypical 3 man was a little slower, bulkier, and more powerful. Larry Johnson, Dennis Rodman, and Charles Barkley all spent significant chunks of time playing the 3 in the 90s. In the 80s, Worthy and Dantley for sure fit that mold, and you could make a case King does too.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                            I think it goes back a lot further than that; I'd say that for most of the 80s and 90s the prototypical 3 man was a little slower, bulkier, and more powerful. Larry Johnson, Dennis Rodman, and Charles Barkley all spent significant chunks of time playing the 3 in the 90s. In the 80s, Worthy and Dantley for sure fit that mold, and you could make a case King does too.
                            I would say you are correct. I actually started thinking about Grandmama after I posted.

Comment

Acy off the the bench as a 3? Sure why not.

I know we aren't expecting him to start, but would be be capable of guarding James, Melo, or Durant?
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X