No announcement yet.

Summer League 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love RR. All of you pleb's turning at the signs of weakness even though I smelt that shit even at the beginning of last season.

Doesn't make me feel superior, it just confirms that I am.

Comment

• The syndrome!
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
        I love RR. All of you pleb's turning at the signs of weakness even though I smelt that shit even at the beginning of last season.

Doesn't make me feel superior, it just confirms that I am.
        I was going to applaud your tremendous talent, then I realized all of my clapping would never be noticed in the sound of your own backslapping.

Comment

• Ya'll know i take Summer League games with a grain of salt. But watching Ross and Goodwin yesterday. I think Goodwin is going to be the better player. And if i'm MU, i'd call the Phoenix GM right now and offer Ross for Goodwin.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Good lord, relax about Ross. Dude was suffering from cramps all week and he still did pretty good, all things considered.

Nevermind what he did last year in actual NBA games with consistent minutes, lets freak out over a couple summer league games.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
              Good lord, relax about Ross. Dude was suffering from cramps all week and he still did pretty good, all things considered.

Nevermind what he did last year in actual NBA games with consistent minutes, lets freak out over a couple summer league games.
              Sure it's just summer league, but it still counts for something..

If anything, the best indicator of what he'll become will be the first 20 regular season games. We can evaluate him fairly after that.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Acy gettin' some ESPN love!

Quincy Acy, Raptors: 28 PTS | 10 REB | 1 AST
                Death, taxes and Quincy Acy giving 100 percent effort until the final buzzer. Acy was typically aggressive all afternoon, and showed some solid range on his improving jumper. The cherry on top was a 3 at the top of the arc at the end of the fourth. If there was any complaint, it was his hesitance to shoot more of the jumpers the Suns were giving him. -- Danny Chau
                http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...he-strip-day-9

As far as Ross without knowing what he was asked to work on it's tough to say what this all means. His ball handling was WAY better. When he asserted himself he looked good. Still better taking shots off of picks rather than set shots, he has a lot to work on. I guess we'll see.

Comment

• Raptors HQ hands out Summer League grades

Terrence Ross fans, you have been warned:

Jonas Valanciunas - A+: This is the easiest grade of the bunch. Jonas dominated Vegas to the point that he'll certainly be named to the All-Vegas team. He showed off his power game thanks to an enhanced physique, but also didn't shy away from some crafty hook-shots and nimble foot-work down low. He went left. He went right. He went over and through. Pretty much you name it, you saw it from Big Val who averaged a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds, and even hit 29 of his 33 free throws!!

Yes, a lot of the time Valanciunas was going up against D-League quality opponents, but that's not his fault. Valanciunas did exactly what we hoped he'd do. Dominate.
                  Quincy Acy - B+: Acy was getting a solid B in my books before yesterday's match. But Acy went off, carrying his club to a near upset of a much more experienced Suns' squad. He had 28 points, 10 rebounds, a steal and a block and was virtually unstoppable in the loss. The performance in fact made me wonder just what we might have seen from Acy had he been more of a go-to option for the club in Summer League.

Regardless, like Valanciunas, this is what you wanted to see from Acy. Improved range on his jumper, more back-to-the-basket emphasis and post-work, and yet that same aggressiveness and energy that made him an asset at times for the club last year. As I tweeted during yesterday's game, if you're Dwane Casey, you suddenly feel much more comfortable putting Acy into the thick of the action if his offensive game continues to develop in this fashion.
                  Dwight Buycks - A: Buycks represents another top grade in my books. Not only did he look pretty good running the team's offense, I'm not sure he won't give Kyle Lowry some issues in training camp. His Summer League stint showed a quick and athletic point guard who can be a terror off the bounce, and who also can make opponents pay for giving him room to shoot. He hit 14 of his 25 shots (56 per cent) and excelled at creating space for himself and penetrating to the cup. Unlike point guards of Summer League's past, Buycks could look downright dominant at times, again, something you'd hope to see from a player expected to earn his keep in the NBA next season.

He wasn't perfect however. Buycks did throw some ill-advised cross-court feeds, and we didn't see a ton from him defensively. But he certainly looked more than able to at least be a third-string option for the Dinos and I'd go as far as saying that D.J. Augustin better not assume he's a lock for the Number Two PG role.
                  Found the first bold particularly interesting. Second bold makes me worry about the future of Ross (not an ounce of dominance) compared to the future of Buycks.

Terrence Ross - F: Terrence Ross averaged 13 points and 5 rebounds in Summer League play.

Unfortunately, that's the good news.

If Valanciunas and Acy gave the team exactly what the club hoped to see, Ross would have to be the opposite looking passive, hesitant, and downright invisible at times.

Sure, he had a few good scoring games, including a 17 point outing on Thursday against Denver.

However he shot 4 of 11 in that match, the bulk of his points coming from the free-throw line, and of those points from the stripe, the bulk came from being fouled in transition, not from his own shot-creation attempts in half-court sets.

In fairness, he did knock down pretty much every free-throw he encountered. But for a player with his elite athleticism, you expected a lot more, especially in this setting where opponents typically don't have his caliber of athletic ability.

Put it this way. My baseline for Quincy Acy in terms of expectations was for him to at least be able to do the things he normally does (rebound the ball, throw-down some put-back dunks, hustle on both ends etc), but perhaps do them even better due to the level competition he would be facing. If he added in a few things on top of this such as an improved jump shot or post-game? Gravy.

So for Ross, same idea. You'd expect him to come in and knock down open three-pointers, get to the hoop, finish plays using his top-notch athleticism, be a defensive presence, etc, etc.

Only that didn't happen.

He rarely attacked the basket, he struggled shooting the long-ball (was 3 of 13), shot only 42 per cent from the field, had 17 turnovers despite not being the team's "go-to-option" on O, and got to the free-throw line only two more times than teammate Michah Downs.

Not only did I fail to see an ounce of development, but for the bulk of the contests, I also didn't see those "baseline traits" I mentioned before! I don't want to say Ross took a step backwards as we're talking five Summer League games here, but ugh. It was't good.

During last night's match-up with Phoenix I remembered a line his college coach Lorenzo Romar told me after Ross was drafted. He mentioned that whether Ross was "playing in his back-yard or drive way, it's the same thing as if he was playing for twenty-thousand people in the championship, he just doesn't get rattled."

Maybe the setting was the problem and Ross approached this like he had nothing to prove, lacking last year's hunger.

Maybe the calf issues that were reportedly bothering him prior to the Vegas League were impacting his play.

In any event, if you're judging Ross you wanted to see at least those traits that made him an intriguing prospect coming out of college and in absence of even those, never mind additions to his game on top of that, I'm not sure there's much other choice than to dole out an F.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• what we can take from summer league is that our bench doesnt seem entirely useless anymore

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
                      what we can take from summer league is that our bench doesnt seem entirely useless anymore
                      If only these summer league teams actually were up to par with an NBA team Bench, we'd have a better idea I think.
                      Right now we know that Acy might contribute if he's the focal point, Ross might not show up at all, and Buycks is really fast. Bout it.
                      Alan Anderson isn't back next year, and he was the most consistent part of our bench; so I wouldn't jump the gun and say they're no longer useless. They're just less useless against useless defense's.

Comment

• From what summer league action I saw, I thought Ross played better last summer.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Right now we know that Acy might contribute
                          i think this shows their faith in landry. if i am ross, i am playing hard defense in training camp and the back up 2 is mine. even 4-11 shooting is better than 0-everything.

last year i bought big into the landry will get back to his rookie numbers with a better role. not buying into the now his arm is ok shtick.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            If only these summer league teams actually were up to par with an NBA team Bench, we'd have a better idea I think.
                            Right now we know that Acy might contribute if he's the focal point, Ross might not show up at all, and Buycks is really fast. Bout it.
                            Alan Anderson isn't back next year, and he was the most consistent part of our bench; so I wouldn't jump the gun and say they're no longer useless. They're just less useless against useless defense's.
                            *3rd string benches

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                              From what summer league action I saw, I thought Ross played better last summer.
                              He did play a lot better last summer Ross's to Do List from coaching was:

-Better Handles
                              -Add consistency to his jumper preferably his 3 point stroke
                              Work on reading in game situations,improve Ball IQ basically...

Hes failed all of them... Ross has to get it together he will be important in the season to come pretty much the go to scorer off the bench, God knows Fields wont be.

Comment

• Grantland: Six Degrees of Summer League

Link

Andrew Sharp has a lot of raps references in his summer league wrap up article

"It's Quincy Acy's world, we're all just livin' in it. And it's 110 degrees outside and I've been at UNLV for three days, and oh God what time is it even?"

— From my notebook on Saturday afternoon
                                Once you spend a few days worshiping guys like Dwight Buycks and Kent Bazemore, you inevitably snap out of it and realize, "Okayyyyyy, this basketball addiction has gone too far. Time to detox for a few months."
                                The Breakout Star: Jonas Valanciunas

Every year, there are one or two players who stand out and leave you gushing about them to anyone who asks. This year it was Toronto's Jonas Valanciunas. Not his numbers or any particular highlights, just ... when you watched the summer Raptors, Jonas looked one or two levels above anyone else on the court. Stronger than anyone, in great shape, and still quick enough to create for himself in the post. People have been talking about his potential for the past two years, but after a year in Europe and then a decent rookie season last year, it finally makes sense.

Sports Illustrated called him the MVP of the week, and with 22 teams playing 61 games in Vegas, he was the one guy who looked like a future superstar. One day soon, we will all have to learn how to spell "Valanciunas."

Related: The Raptors should find a way to get rid of Rudy Gay, fake an injury to Kyle Lowry so they can tank properly next year, then luck into hometown hero Andrew Wiggins and take over the world from 2015-20.

Right? Maybe?

You know Masai Ujiri is tempted.
                                The Bust: Kendall Marshall

The flip side to the benefit of the doubt we give rookies is what happens to second-year players. If you're a former lottery pick who's already spent a year in the NBA, you should be one of the best players at summer league. And Kendall Marshall isn't there yet. I'm a UNC fan and nobody's more in love with Kendall than I am, but he got abused on defense by guys like Dwight Buycks (pronounced "Bikes") and didn't fare much better on offense, where he averaged six points and four assists.
                                The Summer League Superstars: Kent Bazemore and Quincy Acy

Speaking of legends ... Quincy Acy!

The dunk is good, the snarl afterward is great.

On the strength of his beard alone, we're all rooting for Quincy Acy to succeed. And hey! On Saturday he finished 9-for-15 from the field for 28 points, spent most of the game draining jumpers from the perimeter, and then bullied people inside when it was convenient. If you're not familiar with Acy's game, just imagine Reggie Evans doing all this.

You haven't truly lived as a basketball fan until you've seen a bruising power forward calling for the ball, pump-faking at the 3-point line, then draining a 20-foot jumper. It was awesome. Like a basketball acid trip.

Of course, it's all fun and games until Acy somehow becomes summer league's LeBron James. That's when you realize you've been watching sloppy basketball for three days straight, subsisting mostly on UNLV stadium food, and possibly going insane. The Quincy Acy takeover was my cue to leave.

I will remember Acy unleashing his full arsenal of perimeter moves, I will remember Jonas Valanciunas, I will remember all the groupies who made the pilgrimage to the Thomas & Mack Center at 4 p.m. every day. Beyond that, most of what happens in Vegas summer league stays in Vegas summer league, and that's probably for the best.

Lots of compliments (although some a bit backhanded) for the raps. No mention of T. Ross though.

There's some other good stuff in there as well so click the link at the top!
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X