Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do we go, Sweet Child? Where do we go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i think people underestimate how shitty this team is
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      I think people undersestimate how diifficult it will be to become unshitty. Thanks BC.

Comment

I have my doubts that Iggy will sign with Detroit. Why would he? He's 29 years old and Detroit isn't going to be spectacular any time soon.

Washington wasn't even good enough to nab any of that April Fools Gold at the end of the season, they lost their final 6 games.

And Cleveland, I imagine, being such a young team and next year being such a strong draft they are going to lose a few more games this years in order to add one final addition of youth and talent to their squad. And I simply don't think they're as good if the raptors had a better bench-unit.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

The belief is the Raps are fine because:

1) DD will do something no one has done in nearly 70 years of NBA basketball: become significantly better after playing 9000 minutes in the league, and

2) JV will dominate and become elite very soon.

Comment

Why does everyone get so upset thinking about just being good enough to make the playoffs next year? Saying "The goal is CHAMPIONSHIPS" well folk, I understand your excited, this is the first time our management has made championships a goal but like anything else, we must crawl before we walk, and walk before we run. It's a process, TL and MU were never planning on making it to the finals next year.
            This guys gonna prove to be right after this year. These threads infuriate me sometimes. Cuz it's all speculation. I get it everyone would LOOOOOOVE for us to tank and get lucky and get wiggins, or smart or parker. But guess what that's not how the lottery always works. Look at the fucking bobcats. They shoulda won 3xs and ended up with MKG , Zeller and Biyombo. Chicago swoops in 1 year and gets Rose.. Its a crap shoot. Realistically would you guys not want to make the playoffs for a few years? thenmaybe rebuild .. right now is that time. Masai got sandbagged .. so what do u expect him to do something that's completely unrealistic, a huge gamble, and send us into mediocrity for the next 5-10 years AGAIN!!? Or at least try and build a winning culture here in Toronto. It's been said and will be said again. Toronto's market doesn't suck, our team does. LAC's market didn't suck .. the team did. They got lucky got Blake, and now what. Ya you're thinking well "thats what were saying tank get wiggins and move forward". Unlikely. At this point we need to work on winning. If Masai does pull some magic and acquires some serious lottery picks for players on our team then yes power too him. But you guys are talking about GS' first rounder, Lakers first rounder and Dallas' These aren't going to be lottery picks.

How bout we wait till free agency happens, chips start to move, and then start discussing realistic avenues, instead of this BS lets tank AGAIN ( been there done that too many times as a raptors fan).

I'm sorry but am I the only fan who just wants meaningful basketball in Toronto? Sure we won't be contenders, but lets win some games for once, watch basketball in March, and not be saying "CANT WAIT TILL THAT LOTTERY" .."Oh fuck we lost the coin flip.." "We coulda had curry" "We coulda had Barnes" .. "YAY WE GOT ED DAVIS"

Let's just try and win when the rest of our competition is trying to win the lottery ( Watch boston not even land a top 5 pick)

Washington / Cleveland and Detroit aren't tanking .. no why cuz at some point you gotta give your city something to cheer about.

Comment

People also overestimate how shitty this team is. You guys talk like we're the fucking Charlotte Bobcats. Lol talking like Detroit and Washington light years ahead of us on the road to championships.

Comment

You guys sound like Bargnani "we're pretty much the worst team in the NBA".

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                  So win the championship next year or blow it up? Only one of those options is possible and it does not guarantee success. Besides, we've never been in a worse position to blow-things up. First we would have to get rid of all our horrible contracts and expect Dwayne Casey and whatever players we keep on our roster to lose as much as possible which doesn't work because players love to win. Teams will never actually try to lose games, they aren't paid for that.
                  I haven't advertised blow it up since the rudy gay trade, i've been of the opinion to just let it ride out next year, when Fields Bargs Gay, all become expiring contracts, and we'd know exactly which of our players would have backed up their promise of improvements. The point was where we are right now the only way to improve is to bank on a 5 million dollar player, and 17th pick. The contracts are just growing every year, plus Lowry is due a big pay raise,

Its not that blowing up garantees success, its that Masai like i read somewhere is playing Poker without any chips, the only tradable players are our best players with bad contracts, so whatever trade we make is most likely a standstill.

Comment

Why does everyone get so upset thinking about just being good enough to make the playoffs next year?
                    Because being good enough to make the playoffs - and that is an "if" because they are by no means guaranteed at this point despite what people think - in a year where much of the competition is dedicated to a tank is not a predicator of future success. You might as well put an asterisk on it.

Nobody is silly enough to expect that a championship run is possible next year: this team as built cannot beat Indiana in a playoff series, much less Miami, San Antonio, Golden State or OKC. Because we're not a very good team. Honestly, people think Detroit and Washington and Cleveland aren't going to be competition? Washington demonstrated last year that they're at least as good a team as we are already, and they just added Otto "90 percent of Rudy Gay at 15 percent of the salary" Porter and Glen Rice Jr. (who will add some pop to their bench). Cleveland was only slightly worse than us and they just added Anthony Bennet and Sergey Karasev, who are both NBA-ready, and they're going to have 20 million in cash to chase veterans to make their team even better. if Detroit lands Andrew Iguodala - and they're going to offer him a LOT of money - then their starting five of Iggy, Greg Monroe, Andre Drummon, Brandon Knight and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is definitely better than ours.

Hell, it looks like even Milwaukee and Atlanta aren't tanking. How is it going to feel if we don't make playoffs?

This is why I want the Raptors to start building, right now, towards a championship team, and right now we have exactly one player who can't be traded for something better (Jonas). Everybody else is expendable. In the NBA, teams have three modes that help them succeed: win-now, tank, and build.

We aren't a win-now team because we're capped out with terrible contracts and MLSE isn't going to go the Brooklyn/Laker super-luxury-tax route. We can't acquire more pieces. (Bear in mind that, thankfully, we can't trade our pick next year and we've traded away so many other picks that we have nothing to bribe teams with as Brooklyn did.)

We're not a building team because we have nothing to build with and hoping for incremental improvements from our younger players (and Lowry and Rudy aren't "younger players" any more: they are what they are now) is the NBA equivalent of playing roulette.

That leaves tanking. Or there's always the fourth choice of "do fuck-all," which has always been inexplicably popular with the Raptors.

Comment

I have my doubts that Iggy will sign with Detroit. Why would he? He's 29 years old and Detroit isn't going to be spectacular any time soon.

Washington wasn't even good enough to nab any of that April Fools Gold at the end of the season, they lost their final 6 games.

And Cleveland, I imagine, being such a young team and next year being such a strong draft they are going to lose a few more games this years in order to add one final addition of youth and talent to their squad. And I simply don't think they're as good if the raptors had a better bench-unit.
                      Why would he? $$$$$

So that means Washington went 25-19 before losing their final 6 games? Shit. Maybe they will definitely make playoffs afterall. Any argument hinging on DD scoring 26ppg on 60%fg and 64%3pt and Gay scoring 22ppg on 49%fg and 54%3pt is the definition of #AprilFoolsGoldRun

Lets see what Cleveland does with their $18M in cap space first and remember they have a very hands on owner who is tired of losing.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        The belief is the Raps are fine because:

1) DD will do something no one has done in nearly 70 years of NBA basketball: become significantly better after playing 9000 minutes in the league, and

2) JV will dominate and become elite very soon.
                        Id say my optimism comes from seeing how this team can play without BC breathing down DCs neck,
                        Kyle Lowry returning to his usual abilities,
                        Derozan improving his 3pt% by the same amount as he improved it last year (it would bring him to a .300%)
                        Rudy to feel more comfortable in this system after a training camp
                        Val improving and being utilized correctly
                        and Ross improving and being utilized correctly.

I dont think I am asking for too much here. Remember last year we also started 4-19, and picked it up to play at a higher level. I saw a lot last year in 2, 5 game winning streaks (which we didnt have ONCE since I believe 2007) which showed a team playing cohesively and to their talents.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I feel like if we were the fans of any of these other teams like Washington or Detroit we would be having the exact same argument although the roles would be reversed. We'd be talking about how shitty our teams are and how we aren't even as good as Toronto.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            Id say my optimism comes from seeing how this team can play without BC breathing down DCs neck,
                            Kyle Lowry returning to his usual abilities,
                            Derozan improving his 3pt% by the same amount as he improved it last year (it would bring him to a .300%)
                            Rudy to feel more comfortable in this system after a training camp
                            Val improving and being utilized correctly
                            and Ross improving and being utilized correctly.

I dont think I am asking for too much here. Remember last year we also started 4-19, and picked it up to play at a higher level. I saw a lot last year in 2, 5 game winning streaks (which we didnt have ONCE since I believe 2007) which showed a team playing cohesively and to their talents.
                            I have a new thread coming on the first bold.

To the 2nd bold I say the Raps went 10-16 with Gay after the trade before winning 7 of 9 in the infamous #AprilFoolsGoldRun. That puts them at 17-18.

Comment

People also overestimate how shitty this team is. You guys talk like we're the fucking Charlotte Bobcats. Lol talking like Detroit and Washington light years ahead of us on the road to championships.
                              Um, they are way ahead of us. They didn't do it through a dedicated tank - they mostly did it through years of sucking and eventually lucking into it. But both of those teams have good starting lineups, added more quality pieces through the draft this year, and they both have money to burn this year on free agents.

Our record against Detroit last year was .500 - three and three, with equal numbers of wins and losses before and after the Rudy trade. Our record against Washington was 3-2, but two of our wins came while basically their entire team was injured and when they were healthy they beat us up good. These are not teams we beat easily; we are not significantly better than them. We only had five more wins than either of them last season. They've both already gotten better while we've been standing still.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                I have a new thread coming on the first bold.

To the 2nd bold I say the Raps went 10-16 with Gay after the trade before winning 7 of 9 in the infamous #AprilFoolsGoldRun. That puts them at 17-18.
                                Matt stop talking about #AprilFoolsGoldRun like we shouldn't be proud to have won those games. Wins are wins, you gotta start somewhere, and if the team is as bad as everyone here claims them to be shouldn't we be even more happy that they won those games and that we got to see our two best players aren't terrible 3-point shooters and can dominate bench line-ups on playoff teams?

Comment

Working...
                                X