Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fallacy of DeRozan's improving 3 point shooting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, drunkmunky, you're drunk. Blocking Matt means you're eliminating yourself from like 90% of the conversations lol
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

But what happens if we:

1) remove DeRozan's first 6 games of year 3 where he shot 10 for 16?
      year 3 becomes: 18.4% on 0.75 attempts per game (14/76) in 57 games

and

2) remove DeRozan's final 3 games of year 4 where he shot 9/12?
      year 4: 23.1% on 0.73 attempts per game (24/108) in 79 games

Essentially if you remove 9 of 145 games (first 6 and last 3) from year 3 and 4, the statistics become much less encouraging for DeRozan's "hope" and "potential" at the 3pt shot over a much larger sample of 136 consecutive games.
      Actually i think you're over Looking the fact that with your new calculations he shows an even bigger improvement of nearly 5%. So no matter how you look at it, his work in the gym is paying, just not as fast as some of us would have hoped. And probably because we have no one else to point to finger at since the Bargnani Kool-Aid ran dry.

Derozan, is young, he's not our worst contract, he's one of our best players regardless of where he ranks league wide. Even if he is our best trade asset, why would we get rid of our Ace in the hole right away ? might as well trim the fat first and get a clearer picture before and IF we move him.

I get that Derozan is not an All-star, and there's a possibility he might never be, But no team in the league has ever won with 5 All-stars, why cant he be our Solid starter or 6th Man ? because BC said he was the truth ? because he got over paid ? I'm not saying he's untradable, all i'm saying is, it makes no sense to trade him first. He's the one constant with Amir, JV is the future, why cant we trade the million other issues we have first before letting go of our best asset ? If Bargs and Darko hadn't been selected before all-stars and HOF, if bargs wasn't making 12 million next year, they wouldn't get push out of the league. Kwame Brown is subject of infinite jokes, but because no one in that draft was an impact player right away and he only make 2-5 mil a year, he's laughing his ass to the bank 13 years later.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        I was isolating 3pt% in my comparison with Wade. I know that 30% is still a little below average, but its serviceable as a threat and can let us stretch the floor a little more. Our big issue right now is that we lack floor spacing with our backcourt, but if Kyle can hit 34%+, Rudy has potential to hit anywhere between 34-39%, and if Demar sticks a 30%+, it wont be as noticeable of a weakness.
        I still have faith in Rudy and Demar working well together, but it depends on some better outside shooting from both.
        You are right.

I went off topic.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
          Also, drunkmunky, you're drunk. Blocking Matt means you're eliminating yourself from like 90% of the conversations lol
          quality over quantity.

Comment

I don't think DeRozan has improved his 3pt shooting very much to this point, no. However, I am hoping that it has become apparent to him (and Gay, on another note) that it is the most important facet of his (offensive) game to improve right now, and that he'll apply his much-praised work ethic in that area.

DD's shooting form is not fundamentally broken, so I think that with practice he should be able to improve.

Comment

I don't agree with anything he says besides the name of his twitter account. I'd prefer to optimize my time on RR and read 10% good content, rather than 90% crap IMO.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                I don't agree with anything he says besides the name of his twitter account. I'd prefer to optimize my time on RR and read 10% good content, rather than 90% crap IMO.
                Half the fun of being a part of these forums is arguing with the people who disagree with you though lol whatever floats your boat though I guess

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                  I don't think DeRozan has improved his 3pt shooting very much to this point, no. However, I am hoping that it has become apparent to him (and Gay, on another note) that it is the most important facet of his (offensive) game to improve right now, and that he'll apply his much-praised work ethic in that area.

DD's shooting form is not fundamentally broken, so I think that with practice he should be able to improve.

“On the court just getting my range to where I get more comfortable, where it feels like a 15-footer,” DeRozan said. “Extending my range even if it means shooting damn near 30 feet, just getting comfortable shooting farther away, feeling like I shot a 15-footer. Being able to have that same exact feeling I have when I’m shooting that mid-range. Getting a lot stronger so I’m able to shoot the shots the same way from the three-point range.” - Demar Derozan

Also,

“When Indiana and Miami were playing, I was talking to Casey,” DeRozan said. “We were talking about defence. That’s how we’ve got to take each game, each quarter, each possession. It’s going to be tough, grind, hard-fought defence. That’s how we’re going to have to play.”

My idea is he should be given half a season, if he doesn't pull through with these commitments then trade the dude. Before it's too late.

Comment

Dwayne Wade has never been a good 3pt shooter, averaging 30% prior to lebron and even less after his arrival. Do you want to tell us how terrible Wade is? But we won't, because Wade was a volume shooter and the sheer volume more than made up for shit %, right? And it doesn't even matter now because he has Lebron, Allen, Miller, etc to all take over his 3pt shooting numbers. All he has to do is dunk the ball. But no, derozan isn't allowed to dunk the ball. He has to score using 3s.

Dwayne Wade got all of 344 rebounds for the season, whereas Derozan grabbed 320. Should Wade also be trying to grab balls away Lebron, Haslem, etc, just as Derozan should grab rebounds away from JV, Amir, Gay, etc?

You want DD to improve his stats in a system that wasn't designed to improve his stats, aka, the Casey give-ball-to-gay-and-iso system.

And in before you start throwing those stupid PER stats again.

Comment

We never lost games this season because Gay and Demar overlap we lost ga,es because the team was shit whenever they were on the bench. Theres a lot of talk about these guys not being able to co exist, but I dont see it.... you want 3 point shooting just get some role players to do that dont trade away the best 1-2 punch we can have for a good 4 years...

Not all good/great teams have 3 point weapons, teams that rely on that shot often crumble see the New York Knicks and the o7 Orlando Magic... If they get traded and broken up its a shame cause I think an entire season of Rudy and DeMar could be something really special, not a lot of teams have 2 players on the wings that demand double teams.

Comment

Almost every player has a weak point and 3 point shooting is Demars. His other abilities far outweigh his lack of a good 3 point shot.

I believe though that the back court should have a good balance of 3 point shooting. Toronto lacks in this area and if I had to trade someone to strengthen the 3 point shooting, it would be Demar.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

I also hope we don't trade him along with Bargs for Bledsoe. I would much rather amnesty Bargs than ship him out with Derozan for EB. It free's up a ton of cap space but it sends us back 100 yards from being any bit closer to where we are trying to go.

Comment

“On the court just getting my range to where I get more comfortable, where it feels like a 15-footer,” DeRozan said. “Extending my range even if it means shooting damn near 30 feet, just getting comfortable shooting farther away, feeling like I shot a 15-footer. Being able to have that same exact feeling I have when I’m shooting that mid-range. Getting a lot stronger so I’m able to shoot the shots the same way from the three-point range.” - Demar Derozan

Also,

“When Indiana and Miami were playing, I was talking to Casey,” DeRozan said. “We were talking about defence. That’s how we’ve got to take each game, each quarter, each possession. It’s going to be tough, grind, hard-fought defence. That’s how we’re going to have to play.”

My idea is he should be given half a season, if he doesn't pull through with these commitments then trade the dude. Before it's too late.
                            That's pretty much where I am at this point.

phez wrote: View Post
                            Dwayne Wade has never been a good 3pt shooter, averaging 30% prior to lebron and even less after his arrival. Do you want to tell us how terrible Wade is? But we won't, because Wade was a volume shooter and the sheer volume more than made up for shit %, right? And it doesn't even matter now because he has Lebron, Allen, Miller, etc to all take over his 3pt shooting numbers. All he has to do is dunk the ball. But no, derozan isn't allowed to dunk the ball. He has to score using 3s.

Dwayne Wade got all of 344 rebounds for the season, whereas Derozan grabbed 320. Should Wade also be trying to grab balls away Lebron, Haslem, etc, just as Derozan should grab rebounds away from JV, Amir, Gay, etc?

You want DD to improve his stats in a system that wasn't designed to improve his stats, aka, the Casey give-ball-to-gay-and-iso system.

And in before you start throwing those stupid PER stats again.

Huh?
                            I also hope we don't trade him along with Bargs for Bledsoe. I would much rather amnesty Bargs than ship him out with Derozan for EB. It free's up a ton of cap space but it sends us back 100 yards from being any bit closer to where we are trying to go.
                            I actually read on hoopshype rumours page that the clips are more interested in Bargs than Demar... but that a deal was still unlikely.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

No one tell any of this to the Clippers...

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                                No one tell any of this to the Clippers...
                                Seems like they already know.

Not hard to tell the delusioned youth on the forums. The awakening is always enlightening though.

Comment

Working...
                                X