Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post
    Great article. Thanks for the link.

Actually, the article would seem to say you don't need great individual talents to run the Triangle, but you do need to get up and down the floor. The Raps can do that. And they need to spend a lot of time working on it. Some of the Raps can do that.
    Thank you...I thought it was a good piece as well.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on the triangle nor for that matter anything beyond rudimentary practice of the game. The points which stood out for me (though I am not sure getting up the floor quick was a prime need) :

1. The system is not in use in the current NBA....there must be reasons
    2. Phil Jackson (with help from Tex Winter) was the last coach to use it ...and be successful with it
    3. PJ had Jordan & Pippen & Rodman and Gasol & Kobe & Odom on his two teams
    4. Had a pretty good supporting cast with players like Paxson and Kerr in Chic and admittedly lesser in LA
    5. Good post play is essential by most in the group
    6. Movement without the ball is a must...and of course attention to detail (location)
    7. Good passing an absolute
    8. These teams took a while before becoming successful practioners (and used experienced bb/high iq players)
    9. Point forward (non traditional pg) ...Kobe, Pippen, Jordan, Odom had the ball in their hands quite a bit and initiated
    10. I think the ref. to the non-reqt of great indiv. talent pertained to the supporting cast in principle and their athleticism but as I noted the players with the ball in their hands most were anything but it seems.

Seeing as how recent history shows that only 2 teams played this system at a championship level and used some of the best players in history and one coach (and no one else uses it)... gives me pause that in actuality it is a difficult system to perfect and sustain especially with the movement of players from teams in today's NBA.

Our own "big 3" would be JV, Gay and Lowry. JV is raw and with some post skills and an offensive game still in development. I am not Lowry and Gay are great passers or have post games which stand out either...except in a mismatch. DD is pretty much the same. In a nutshell my own sense says our team as constituted would have trouble.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
      Thank you...I thought it was a good piece as well.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on the triangle nor for that matter anything beyond rudimentary practice of the game. The points which stood out for me (though I am not sure getting up the floor quick was a prime need) :

1. The system is not in use in the current NBA....there must be reasons
      2. Phil Jackson (with help from Tex Winter) was the last coach to use it ...and be successful with it
      3. PJ had Jordan & Pippen & Rodman and Gasol & Kobe & Odom on his two teams
      4. Had a pretty good supporting cast with players like Paxson and Kerr in Chic and admittedly lesser in LA
      5. Good post play is essential by most in the group
      6. Movement without the ball is a must...and of course attention to detail (location)
      7. Good passing an absolute
      8. These teams took a while before becoming successful practioners (and used experienced bb/high iq players)
      9. Point forward (non traditional pg) ...Kobe, Pippen, Jordan, Odom had the ball in their hands quite a bit and initiated
      10. I think the ref. to the non-reqt of great indiv. talent pertained to the supporting cast in principle and their athleticism but as I noted the players with the ball in their hands most were anything but it seems.

Seeing as how recent history shows that only 2 teams played this system at a championship level and used some of the best players in history and one coach (and no one else uses it)... gives me pause that in actuality it is a difficult system to perfect and sustain especially with the movement of players from teams in today's NBA.

Our own "big 3" would be JV, Gay and Lowry. JV is raw and with some post skills and an offensive game still in development. I am not Lowry and Gay are great passers or have post games which stand out either...except in a mismatch. DD is pretty much the same. In a nutshell my own sense says our team as constituted would have trouble.
      I guess we can all agree Kurt Rambis was not successful with it? lol

Comment

• I honestly think we the players they had they could have run ANY offense and had success. Show me an offense that makes a shit team better
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I guess we can all agree Kurt Rambis was not successful with it? lol
          Thank you for reminding me of KR. I forgot about him. I now remember how frustrated he got in some q&a/s when the matter came up.

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            I honestly think we the players they had they could have run ANY offense and had success. Show me an offense that makes a shit team better
            Quite true. I suspect however that the triangle offense's best attribute is that it is difficult to defend.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              Quite true. I suspect however that the triangle offense's best attribute is that it is difficult to defend.
              The triangle's most challenging aspect is that it is difficult to do well, and requires "smart/high IQ" and also unselfish players who can move the ball quickly and to the right places. I think that's why it takes time to establish it, and why it's not in use by more teams.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
                The triangle's most challenging aspect is that it is difficult to do well, and requires "smart/high IQ" and also unselfish players who can move the ball quickly and to the right places. I think that's why it takes time to establish it, and why it's not in use by more teams.
                I would add that it also requires good chemistry, which is hard to develop in this era of high roster turnover.

Comment

• Picks & Cash

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Not that I know of but if there is no rule against it there can be a first time. Pro sports tends use draft picks as penalty/compensation for wrongs committed by orgs. Not the same but the BluJays manager bolted to the RSox in return for a player last year.
                  I think it's rare in the NBA but, you're on to something in this case:

The Clippers, sources said, are willing to surrender cash and multiple draft picks to secure Rivers' services
                  Source: ESPN.com

You called it.

Comment

• Casey is officially bizack

Toronto Raptors President and General Manager, Basketball Operations Masai Ujiri announced Wednesday that Head Coach Dwane Casey will return for the 2013-14 season.

“I’m excited about moving forward and growing this team with Coach Casey,” said Ujiri.

Casey is in the final year of a contract extension signed following the 2011-12 campaign.

An announcement will be made in the future regarding the club’s assistant coaching staff.
                    which leads to this...

from http://blog.raptors.com/a-few-minute...m-masai-ujiri/

JS: Any updates on the status of head coach Dwane Casey or potential changes to his staff?

MU: Things are on the move and we’re still going through the process. We’ll figure it out and I know that’s a wide-ranging answer. Things have gone well with Coach, we’ve had tons and tons of meetings, we have dinner tonight [Tuesday] with Rudy Gay, so we’re moving the right way. As those decisions [with assistants] need to be made, we will make them the best way we feel is heading in the right direction for the organization.
                    something tells me Casey is going to have a new gaggle of assistants.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      which leads to this...

from http://blog.raptors.com/a-few-minute...m-masai-ujiri/

something tells me Casey is going to have a new gaggle of assistants.

Now that Casey is in charge, I hope he gets a clean slate.

No more front office politics interfering.

Lets see what you have Casey.

Go back to year 1 defense and get an assistant in who you can trust to take an active role on the offensive end.... essentially the opposite role he had in Dallas with Carlisle.

Comment

• I've said it before and i'll say it again, bring in Brian Shaw to run the offense, gonna cost you ca$$$$h but hey if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          I've said it before and i'll say it again, bring in Brian Shaw to run the offense, gonna cost you ca$$$$h but hey if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
                          Woodson is to D'Antoni as Shaw would be to Casey????

I'd be all for it but it certainly would not help Casey's lame duck status. Might create a bit of a toxic environment too.

Comment

• So happy about this!

Comment

• Casey is the coach

So, it is official - Casey will return to the bench for the beginning of 2013-2014 campaign. Will he finish it remains to be seen. I surely hope so...

Source:
                              http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Comment

• Better link: http://blog.raptors.com/press-releas...as-head-coach/

Toronto Raptors President and General Manager, Basketball Operations Masai Ujiri announced Wednesday that Head Coach Dwane Casey will return for the 2013-14 season.

“I’m excited about moving forward and growing this team with Coach Casey,” said Ujiri.

Casey is in the final year of a contract extension signed following the 2011-12 campaign.

An announcement will be made in the future regarding the club’s assistant coaching staff.
                                Regardless, I don't think this should surprise anyone. Ujiri seems to be quite fond of Casey.
                                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                                X