No announcement yet.

Raptors coaching staff makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

League sources say the Raptors have already conducted initial interviews with assistant coach hopefuls Nick Nurse of the Rio Grande Vipers of the D League, former Raptor and current Brooklyn assistant Popeye Jones and ex-NBAer Tyronn Lue. Whether those three have to be re-interviewed once Ujiri is on the job full-time remains to be seen but the future of the current staff is cloudier than it’s ever been. None have contracts guaranteed past the end of June and it’s expected none will be in town this week when some players come back for workout sessions with members of the team’s training staff.

The emergence of those names as possible replacements to a staff including Johnny Davis, Scott Roth, Tom Sterner and Micah Nori is not news, the fact they’ve already spoken to members of the Raptors front office would suggest significant change to Dwane Casey’s staff is at hand. Team sources said weeks ago that seeking permission to interview potential new assistant coaches was simply a due diligence process; the desire now for change with a new general manager in place has been hastened.

Casey, according to league sources, has already spoken at length with Ujiri and Leiweke and would seem safe from any purge. He has a year left on his contract.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ing_house.html

If I remember correctly, Roth, Sterner, and Nori were all holdovers from Triano. Only Davis was brought in by DC.

I wonder if Casey's conversation with Leiweke went something like this:

DC: First of all I want to say thank god you are here. The last 2 years has been awful. Bryan has held my first born captive telling me if I don't play Bargnani I will never see her again. I've been living in terror. I want you to know I never wanted to play Bargnani, I never wanted to pay lip service to defense and accountability, I always wanted to bang and grind it out. I hate the 22ft jump shots but it is the only thing Bargnani and DeRozan can do. I hate having Rudy run ISO after ISO but Bryan said give him free reign. *sobs* *sobs* Thank goodness you are here, Mr. Leiweke.

TL: There, there Dwane. It is alright. Bryan can't hurt you anymore.

In all seriousness, it looks like Casey might get a fair chance assuming Colangelo was as meddling as some reports have led to believe. I still think he is an excellent assistant and a poor head coach. If he stays I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Comment

I can't think of any coaches that would be realistic hires for the Raptors. Doc Rivers, is an established coach that would be highly sought after if he decided to leave the Celtic's. It would be like Popovich hitting the opern market. Everyone will be after him and those teams would include established teams like OKC. Toronto can't compete with that.

The Van Gundy's as well could have their choice of teams to coach so let's exclude them as well. Nate MacMillan is already hired I beleive..

Who realistically is left? Casey is as good as any candidate left I think, so I'm fine with giving him another year. I would wait until the team is ready to hit that next level before I bring in a coach that's ready to coach a team that is at that next level.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        I can't think of any coaches that would be realistic hires for the Raptors. Doc Rivers, is an established coach that would be highly sought after if he decided to leave the Celtic's. It would be like Popovich hitting the opern market. Everyone will be after him and those teams would include established teams like OKC. Toronto can't compete with that.

The Van Gundy's as well could have their choice of teams to coach so let's exclude them as well. Nate MacMillan is already hired I beleive..

Who realistically is left? Casey is as good as any candidate left I think, so I'm fine with giving him another year. I would wait until the team is ready to hit that next level before I bring in a coach that's ready to coach a team that is at that next level.
        I think there are a lot of others out there - just none (or very few) with experience and who the Raps have a realistic shot at.

Your post is why I think the Raps let Casey coach out this upcoming season while Ujiri makes the roster his own. After this coming season, maybe the Raps are suddenly a desirable place to coach?

Comment

This off season is going to be an interesting one. Ujiri has a 5 year window. TL wants championships. Does he blow the team up like he did the front office, or tinker with the existing roster and aim for playoffs?

If the Raptors fail to make the playoffs and Ujiri partly blows up the roster will Casey be used as a scape goat?

If the Raptors tinker with the roster and aim for the playoffs, and Casey gets there, does he get another contract? Even though he wasn't Ujiri's hire?

I don't see a half ass rebuild. I don't see the Raptors just failing to make the playoffs or getting in there and having no hope that they will repeat it the following year.

Can't wait for the press conference to hear MU's thoughts on the franchise and what direction he wants to take it.

Comment

I don't think Caseyis going to be around past this year. Unless we make a serious,shockwave-style improvement. I think they plan on bringing in a high profile head coach next year. Just the feeling I get with this whole changing of the guard
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
              I don't think Caseyis going to be around past this year. Unless we make a serious,shockwave-style improvement. I think they plan on bringing in a high profile head coach next year. Just the feeling I get with this whole changing of the guard
              High profile executive to lead MLSE in Tim Leiweke. High profile general manager to lead the franchise in Masai Ujiri. High profile coach in Dwa---. Oop.

In all seriousness, I agree, it was weird seeing two such high profile people at the podium this morning. The feeling is DEFINITELY changing, and for the better.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                I think this is right. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't around past Friday.....

Although, I remember when BC was hired and everyone said the same thing about Sam Mitchell.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  I think this is right. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't around past Friday.....

Although, I remember when BC was hired and everyone said the same thing about Sam Mitchell.
                  Had Mitchell not just won the COY award, I think there's a good chance that BC would've brought in his own coach right away (that's what the rumor was at the time of BC's hiring, from what I recall). It's hard to fire the reigning COY! Lucky for MU, he doesn't have that problem, just the financial burden (which isn't really that substantial, should he choose to go that route).

I think he's a lame-duck coach who has a year to prove himself, especially on the defensive end to re-establish his reputation as a defensive guru.

If DC works out, MU is a genius for sticking with him. If the team doesn't improve next year, MU has a scapegoat. Win-win for MU.

Comment

There is no doubt that this team will get into the playoff's next year, even with our current shitty bench.

The decisive factor for Casey is how far we climb up the latter, and that will reflect whether or not Casey Stays.

If he can get into the 5th or 6th seed behind Miami, Indiana, Chicago & Boston, then I think he'll be able to keep his job.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      There is no doubt that this team will get into the playoff's next year, even with our current shitty bench.

The decisive factor for Casey is how far we climb up the latter, and that will reflect whether or not Casey Stays.

If he can get into the 5th or 6th seed behind Miami, Indiana, Chicago & Boston, then I think he'll be able to keep his job.
                      Well I bet many of us doubt it.
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Add Alex English to the prospective assistant coach list?

The man knows offense.... and Ujiri should know him.

Comment

RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                          you got that right! haha I might quote that guy's post in my sig and keep it in til the end of this upcoming season.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                            RandomGuy wrote: View Post
                            I don't understand how anyone doesn't doubt it.

Comment

Don't forget that Masai and Doc Rivers are very close...i think Casey will finish his contract and when things in Boston get ugly, Doc would be the first choice of Masai

Comment

Brian Shaw is meeting with the nets. i hate it, they're a pretty good match.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X