Raptors coaching staff makeover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If he keeps Casey, in my opinion, it might mean he is shaking things up over the next year. He can make the roster changes he wants with a lame duck in place and sign the coach he wants with the roster he wants next season.
    Agree that it makes sense to make roster changes while keeping some stability with the coach.

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Or he realizes Casey is a good coach and is willing to give him a chance I mean he is the only Raptor beside Mckhenie that has or was involved with a championship team. Casey is not a bad coach get over it people.
    I agree that Casey isn't a bad coach, but he hasn't proven to me that he's a GOOD one.

Primer wrote: View Post
    From the media tweets it's obvious Casey will get aChnother year, and I think that's smart. It's too late to get in on the coaching carousel as the best candidate in my eyes (Budenholzer) was already hired by Atlanta, and we still have teams like Brooklyn looking for a coach that have much more desirable rosters. It took Doc Rivers 4 terrible years in Boston before he got the Big 3 and all of a sudden became one of the best coaches in the NBA. Doc had also recently been fired after a disastrous season in Orlando. So what I'm trying to say is, don't judge Casey just based on last season, where he was given a shit sandwich roster that turned into a shit filled burrito halfway through the season. He could end up being a Doc Rivers quality great coach if just given a decent well constructed roster.
    I think the Doc example highlights how much coaching impacts wins vs. talent. That said I think that you have to say that the odds that Casey becomes perceived as being as good a coach as Doc are less than %50 (maybe even less than 10%) I'm all for giving him another season to show us something.

Bendit wrote: View Post
    That was some time ago (Karl & Casey in Seattle). Coaches (as people) evolve. So being tight has nothing to do with with change if it is needed. Near as I can tell, Karl has remained an offensive minded coach while Casey became noted as a defensive one. This is discounting how much Karl & Casey have communicated thru the years or if Ujiri and Casey have any personal relationship. My only point was/is adaptability. Everyone needs to be on the same page and the team must have personnel who are capable of executing a particular style of play. If not, recognize & change. That is going to be Ujiri's challenge which is not going to be easy.
    Casey has sighted Karl in the past when it comes to his influences, but agree that that has very little to do with whether or not Ujiri keeps him. The fact that he kept Karl though (a coach who predated him as GM) is evidence that he's not likely to dismiss Casey just because he was hired by the previous GM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      If he keeps Casey, in my opinion, it might mean he is shaking things up over the next year. He can make the roster changes he wants with a lame duck in place and sign the coach he wants with the roster he wants next season.
      Or, God forbid, he builds the roster around Casey's defensive orientation
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Should Doc Rivers Be Targeted?

According to some folks who have basketball business with the club, there is growing concern that Doc Rivers has yet to make a public declaration he will continue to lead from the bench. He has remained in regular contact with the Celts, discussing the team’s direction for next season and beyond . . . but the definitive word has been yet unheard.
        Source: bostonherald.com

Rivers could be the perfect partner for Ujiri in the restructuring of the Raptors. The Raptors have enough right now with a few tweaks and a premier bench boss to get back to the playoffs, then in a year or two they'll be poised to make some serious upgrades. If Doc does not re-sign with the Celts, it would be worth axing Casey just to make a strong pitch to Doc Rivers in the hopes that he would like to get in on the ground floor of a team that would play to his specifications (just like Ujiri was doing for Karl).

What do you think?

Comment

He might not have said anything yet, but as far as I know he signed a 5-year contract a couple of years ago and still has a couple of years left.

Comment

I say do it and Doc has tremendous respect for DeRozan and Lowry, would love doc Rivers coaching the Raps he is so gritty the Raps could use Celtic Pride here in Toronto.

Comment

Can we be at least be realistic in this forum for a change??

Doc Rivers? Raptors? come on!
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

If the Celtics blow up, I'm going to go ahead and guess he'll leave too. Otherwise pretty unlikely he'll leave that organization.

Comment

The only way I could see Rivers leaving the Celtics really is if Pierce and Garnett leave, and that's because he hasn't always had the best relationship with Rondo (who would be the franchise player.)

Even then I don't see him coming to Toronto though.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    Can we be at least be realistic in this forum for a change??

Doc Rivers? Raptors? come on!
                    This is what Colangelo did to us, Lottery teams fans start looking towards the draft at the end of april, that's all we have, Gives us something to do, now with no draft pick, no cap room, Here we are just daydreaming of CP3 and Doc rivers.

Comment

Money and power talks.

Comment

Doc Rivers is a good manager of personalities, but he does well with veterans, something our team lacks.

Comment

Didn't they just reject NJ when they asked to speak to Doc? Why would that change?

Comment

Bring him back. If the Raptors gets off to another slow start then fire his ass.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              Or he realizes Casey is a good coach and is willing to give him a chance I mean he is the only Raptor beside Mckhenie that has or was involved with a championship team. Casey is not a bad coach get over it people.
                              No, you're right he's not a bad coach. However, he is a bad head coach.
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Once a Celtic always a Celtic. I would love to see Doc leading the Raps but its not going to happen. Regardless if hes head coach or not Casey is too valuable to let go Ujiri should let him lead this season see how things go with a Bargnani-less roster and better role players, after judging by how Casey did leave him as head coach or keep him as ast.

Comment

Working...
                                X