Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saints91 wrote: View Post
    If I remember correctly, that provision was made so you keep the player and stretch out his contract. At the time they were using Al Harringtons as an example on Denver, they would've been able to keep him ad stretch out his salary. Basically your cap hit on a player would last longer than it's actual salary
    Yeah, that's also what I understood from the article regarding Steve Nash. It also only mentions Field's name in passing, and in parentheses at that. I think we're reading way too much into this :P

Comment

ya, I totally agree. If he's actually healthy he's worth keeping around. Especially at half the salary. He's so versatile!

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        Cris copeland is trash
        47% FG - 42% 3pt - 8.7 pts in 15 MPG is trash?

in 13 games as a starter:
        27 MPG - 47% FG - 43% 3PT - 3.7 RPG - 1.5 TO - 16.1 PPG
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

He'd be a great backup for Amir, but it's not going to happen.

Id love for us to keep Landry if his arm is actually recovering... but if we intend to break into the top 6 playoff spots, I'd toss him.

Comment

ya, I totally agree. If he's actually healthy he's worth keeping around. Especially at half the salary. He's so versatile!
            There is no half the salary.. if we use the 'stretch' he is no longer on the team. It just means we have shrunk our cap space commitments to him.

It's an amnesty clause just like the one most are familiar with.. the difference is with the regular amnesty it can only be used on guys pre CBA (so that would be Kleiza, or Amir - Bargnani is gone so he of course doesn't qualify).

Stretch can be used on anyone post CBA (including Fields) but some of the salary will count towards the cap unlike the regular amnesty where none of their salary counts towards the cap. The team is still responsible for paying the players salary (minus the portion that another team uses to bid on that player once he becomes a 'free agent').

Comment

I'm pretty sure there was a clause in CBA that you can keep the player and stretch his salary. I'll have to look into it again though. That's one of the things that stood out to me when the new CBA was announced
              Last edited by saints91; Sun Jun 30, 2013, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I'm not a fan of stretching Landry at all right now. He had an awful year last year, but that wasn't really his fault. He's untradeable anyway, so unless we have a serious free agent target for a new contract (and I don't think we do), getting rid of his salary doesn't make sense, especially since at best we'd only be knocking his cap hit down to 3.5 million per year or so. I'd rather give him a year, see if he improves - and then see if he's worth keeping or tradeable at that point. If he doesn't find his shot again, then sure, stretch him then. But I'm not a fan of pulling the trigger early on him, because he's a good character guy and good locker room presence, and what the hell else are we going to use the hit for except possibly to take on other teams' bad contracts?

Comment

I'm pretty sure there was a clause in CBA that you can keep the player and stretch his salary. I'll have to look into it again though. That's one of the things that stood out to me when the new CBA was announced
                  I am absolutely certain you are wrong about this. The stretch provision only applies to waived player salaries and nothing else. Otherwise it would allow teams far too much cap flexibility and they'd be able to fuck around in all sorts of ways (for example, the Heat could stretch LeBron, Wade and Bosh's contracts, create $30m of cap room and then sign CP3 and create a megateam).

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                    I am absolutely certain you are wrong about this. The stretch provision only applies to waived player salaries and nothing else. Otherwise it would allow teams far too much cap flexibility and they'd be able to fuck around in all sorts of ways (for example, the Heat could stretch LeBron, Wade and Bosh's contracts, create $30m of cap room and then sign CP3 and create a megateam).
                    I thought it was a one time thing, just like amnesty clause. I could have read it wrong at the time.

Comment

Dino4life wrote: View Post
                      I see what you're saying, but that leads me to beleive that Masai and Casey are banking on Ross big time for next season. with Novak as the 4th wing or vice versa.
                      Or, theyre inching closer to tank mode.

Comment

Tank mode is not activated unless Gay is traded for picks and expiring contracts. Im pretty sure MU is retooling here and with the Bargs trade, we have some more flexibility and 3 new draft picks for when we are in the thick of contention.

I expect him to move either Demar or Lowry (or both), but not for expiring, rather for better players (Paul Milsap, Afflalo).

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          Tank mode is not activated unless Gay is traded for picks and expiring contracts. Im pretty sure MU is retooling here and with the Bargs trade, we have some more flexibility and 3 new draft picks for when we are in the thick of contention.

I expect him to move either Demar or Lowry (or both), but not for expiring, rather for better players (Paul Milsap, Afflalo).
                          Afflalo is a good player but he is not as good as Demar. In fact, he has some of the same flaws.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                            Afflalo is a good player but he is not as good as Demar. In fact, he has some of the same flaws.
                            I was thinking Demar for Milsap, Lowry for Afflalo
                            I would agree, I would prefer Demar > Afflalo

Comment

I was thinking Demar for Milsap, Lowry for Afflalo
                              I would agree, I would prefer Demar > Afflalo
                              I see, I see. Yeah that wouldn't be bad at all.

Comment

hmmmm... Well I heard a rumor we wanted to go after Chris Copeland, the stretch provision would help us sign him and he would take Landrys minutes anyways.

Lowry
                                Derozan/Ross
                                Gay/Copeland
                                Amir/Novak
                                Val/Amir

and since we still have the MLE available, signing Marreese Speights and Gal Mekel will round out the roster!
                                With all of this being said, I still don't see the direction this team is heading in. All I know is, Masai is NOT tanking. Novak & three picks is along the lines of re-tooling.
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X