Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors to use the "stretch provision" on Fields!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Someone please confirm!!!

Is Landry now going to be had for 2.5mil per?!
    Thats freaking fantastic! That makes BCs' poison pill contract look brilliant in hindsight (load up the contract so Knicks cant resign, then stretch the contract to make salary cap room!)
    Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Does this mean we would get to keep Fields without having to put up with his horrible contract? Because Landry would be a great guy to have for 2.5mil.
    No, we would have to waive him, another team would benefit from that new contract. we would be giving him away.

Comment

Someone please confirm!!!

Is Landry now going to be had for 2.5mil per?!
      Thats freaking fantastic! That makes BCs' poison pill contract look brilliant in hindsight (load up the contract so Knicks cant resign, then stretch the contract to make salary cap room!)
      No, calm down. It's waiving him. They don't get to keep him. It just changes the way they have to pay him. When you waive a player normally, you owe him his full guaranteed salary for the remainder of his contract. THe only way that changes is if/when he signs with a new team, then you subtract the value of his new deal.

And then that's extra good. If the normal waiver off-set rules apply after use of the stretch provision, then the Raps can subtract his new contract from the stretched salary instead of the original one.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
        Does this mean we would get to keep Fields without having to put up with his horrible contract? Because Landry would be a great guy to have for 2.5mil.
        Waived means player is off the roster, so no, raps don't keep.

Comment

Does anyone know if the normal off-set rules still apply? I mean, even a new contract at 1.5 million per would reduce the Raptors commitment to about a million.

Comment

hmmmm... Well I heard a rumor we wanted to go after Chris Copeland, the stretch provision would help us sign him and he would take Landrys minutes anyways.

Lowry
            Derozan/Ross
            Gay/Copeland
            Amir/Novak
            Val/Amir

and since we still have the MLE available, signing Marreese Speights and Gal Mekel will round out the roster!
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Waived means player is off the roster, so no, raps don't keep.
              Yeah sorry, I overlooked the part where he mentioned waiving.
              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Is there a way we could get him right back after waiving him? Because I would love to have Landry for that kind of money lol
                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  When you waive a player normally, you owe him his full guaranteed salary for the remainder of his contract. THe only way that changes is if/when he signs with a new team, then you subtract the value of his new deal.

And then that's extra good. If the normal waiver off-set rules apply after use of the stretch provision, then the Raps can subtract his new contract from the stretched salary instead of the original one.
                  No, that's wrong. You're thinking of the amnesty provision. A waived player gets paid the same regardless of how much they get elsewhere. The only chance of not paying a waived player's contract is if another team claims him off the waiver wire (within 48hrs of being waived)--but that never happens.

Comment

hmmmm... Well I heard a rumor we wanted to go after Chris Copeland, the stretch provision would help us sign him and he would take Landrys minutes anyways.

Lowry
                    Derozan/Ross
                    Gay/Copeland
                    Amir/Novak
                    Val/Amir

and since we still have the MLE available, signing Marreese Speights and Gal Mekel will round out the roster!
                    Copeland said he would decline any big offer just to stay in New York so you can forget it.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                      Copeland said he would decline any big offer just to stay in New York so you can forget it.

The dudes 29, this is his last chance for prime money. I doubt he is THAT loyal.
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Cris copeland is trash

Comment

The dudes 29, this is his last chance for prime money. I doubt he is THAT loyal.
                          http://m.basketball.realgm.com/wiret...-knicks-return

Comment

I know he said it, but now that the knick frontcourt has like $75 million tied up in 4 guys, is he really gonna find minutes there? I could see the Bargnani trade making Copeland decide to sign elsewhere.

Comment

If I remember correctly, that provision was made so you keep the player and stretch out his contract. At the time they were using Al Harringtons as an example on Denver, they would've been able to keep him ad stretch out his salary. Basically your cap hit on a player would last longer than it's actual contract.
                              Last edited by saints91; Sun Jun 30, 2013, 08:21 PM.

Comment

If fields wrist is still messed do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X