• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors To Use Amnesty Clause on Kleiza

I just had one thought on this...

Why would we bother?

1.) Could be dumped at trade deadline for cap relief

2.) Could be used as filler in a bigger trade.

3.) We won't be under the cap ANYWAY.

4.) Amnesty does nothing in terms of opening up contracts.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

deadweight + big contract = amnesty
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I don't have a link, but I read somewhere over the past few days that Ujiri is thinking along the same lines. That is, holding onto Kleiza and using him as trade-filler towards the deadline (since amnestying him makes little difference to our overall cap situation).

Comment

Assuming Raptors don't waive Lowry they will be close to the Luxury tax. If they use the MLE and the bi annual exception they will be over. With harsh penalties for the tax kicking in, amnestying Kleiza really saves an additional 3 million(roughly) dollars out of MLSE pockets. Even thouh TL has said they will pay into the tax, why bother if you have a useless player you can drop and avoid the tax?

Comment

How many roster spots are taken up right now with Novak, Q. Rich and Camby? Is there room for a back up PG or do we have to make room?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            How many roster spots are taken up right now with Novak, Q. Rich and Camby? Is there room for a back up PG or do we have to make room?
            With JLIII, Pietrus and Anderson off the books I THINK we have 13 roster spots taken up. Still 2 left I believe

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I don't have a link, but I read somewhere over the past few days that Ujiri is thinking along the same lines. That is, holding onto Kleiza and using him as trade-filler towards the deadline (since amnestying him makes little difference to our overall cap situation).
              This makes sense if we're under the luxury tax. Most of Kleiza's salary will be paid come trade deadline, making his contract a good trade asset.

What people fail to understand about the amnesty provision is YOU'RE STILL PAYING THE GUY. From a business perspective, this is absolutely terrible. Unless you manage to generate more revenue (via signing someone else) or achieve substantial savings (e.g. luxury tax), it makes little sense to amnesty.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                I just had one thought on this...

Why would we bother?

1.) Could be dumped at trade deadline for cap relief

2.) Could be used as filler in a bigger trade.

3.) We won't be under the cap ANYWAY.

4.) Amnesty does nothing in terms of opening up contracts.
                In theory, I completely agree. I don't see the point of using amnesty on an expiring contract, unless to achieve one/both of the following:

- roster spot desperately needed (ie: to sign free agent or to facilitate trade)
                - to avoid luxury tax, however...

tucas wrote: View Post
                Assuming Raptors don't waive Lowry they will be close to the Luxury tax. If they use the MLE and the bi annual exception they will be over. With harsh penalties for the tax kicking in, amnestying Kleiza really saves an additional 3 million dollars out of MLSE pockets. Even thouh TL has said they will pay into the tax, why bother if you have a useless player you can drop and avoid the tax?
                When is luxury tax calculated? I recall teams like the Bulls last year looking to make deadline deals, in part to avoid being a tax team. If Kleiza is kept until the deadline (with the team salary into luxury tax) then dealt, won't they avoid luxury tax? They could always trade Kleiza to a team with cap space, along with enough cash to pay his 2nd half salary (approx. $2.3M), if an actual positive trade doesn't come to fruition. I'd rather maintain the trade asset whenever possible.

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                By my calculation, the following players are under contract for 2013-14, as of today:
                1. Valanciunas
                2. Gray
                3. Camby
                4. Johnson
                5. Novak
                6. Acy
                7. Gay
                8. Fields
                9. Kleiza
                10. Richardson
                11. DeRozan
                12. Ross
                13. Lowry (non-guaranteed)

That leaves the Raptors with 2 roster spots
                - only 1 PG on the roster
                - only 1 true PF on the roster

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  By my calculation, the following players are under contract for 2013-14, as of today:
                  1. Valanciunas
                  2. Gray
                  3. Camby
                  4. Johnson
                  5. Novak
                  6. Acy
                  7. Gay
                  8. Fields
                  9. Kleiza
                  10. Richardson
                  11. DeRozan
                  12. Ross

I think it's all but guaranteed that a 3rd spot will be opened when Camby's fate is decided. I don't see him changing his mind and deciding to join the team.

Comment

I think it's all but guaranteed that a 3rd spot will be opened when Camby's fate is decided. I don't see him changing his mind and deciding to join the team.
                    Plus Q-Rich is likely to take a buy-out. He'll basically get $2M for helping Barg's move from Toronto to New York. So that's another roster spot open.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

1. Valanciunas
                      2. Gray
                      3. Camby
                      4. Johnson
                      5. Novak
                      6. Acy
                      7. Gay
                      8. Fields
                      9. Kleiza
                      10. Richardson
                      11. DeRozan
                      12. Ross

When you put it like that holy freaken wing congestion, that's 8 players out of 13 expected to play at 2-3 spots.

Comment

He might if Masai offers to either release him in time for a playoff team or attempt to trade him at the deadline
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

They could always keep Camby and look to deal him to a contender at the deadline. I could see MU talking to Camby about that and convincing him to stay. He could be a great mentor for Valanciunas over the first half of the season, while staying in game shape, with a promise to be sent to a playoff team by the deadline (similar to what BC did for Barbosa). Even if the Raps just flip him for an expiring contract and a 2nd round pick, that would be a pretty decent use of an asset at the deadline for all parties involved.

I'd also be suprised if Richardson stays a Raptor beyond the trade deadline. With only the 1st season of his 3-year contract guaranteed, he's essentially an expiring contract as well, when it comes to trade talks.

Comment

When is luxury tax calculated? I recall teams like the Bulls last year looking to make deadline deals, in part to avoid being a tax team. If Kleiza is kept until the deadline (with the team salary into luxury tax) then dealt, won't they avoid luxury tax? They could always trade Kleiza to a team with cap space, along with enough cash to pay his 2nd half salary (approx. $2.3M), if an actual positive trade doesn't come to fruition. I'd rather maintain the trade asset whenever possible.
                            Even if raptors only pay for half his contract and ship him at the deadline, they'd still be over the tax if they use their exceptions. If they can ship him for a 2nd rounder or something before the amnesty window I say do it, otherwise amnesty him and avoid paying any tax

Comment

who cares if we pay tax though, if we end up getting ANYTHING for Kleiza by the trade deadline it's not like the tax limits our flexibility or that WE pay it

Comment

Working...
                              X