No announcement yet.

Raptors To Use Amnesty Clause on Kleiza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amnestying Kleiza right now doesn't make sense because it doesn't get us below the cap by itself (we're still about a couple million over) so regardless of whether we amnesty him or not, we're stuck with the same set of cap exceptions for signing players. He is an expiring contract, and that will have value as a trade chip. We can amnesty him literally any time we have to, and we don't have to yet, so let's see if we can use his expiring contract to facilitate a trade.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
      Amnestying Kleiza right now doesn't make sense because it doesn't get us below the cap by itself (we're still about a couple million over) so regardless of whether we amnesty him or not, we're stuck with the same set of cap exceptions for signing players. He is an expiring contract, and that will have value as a trade chip. We can amnesty him literally any time we have to, and we don't have to yet, so let's see if we can use his expiring contract to facilitate a trade.
      The amnesty period ends 7 days after the NBA Moratorium (which should be July 10).. after July 17 teams cannot use their amnesty card this year, and will have to wait for July 1 2014 (and at that point Kleiza will be a FA).

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        IF he is finally healthy, Kleiza does have value. I know it can take a while for a player to return to form but I bet if he proves he is healthy someone will take him for something.

IF we are tanking, playing Kleiza 20+ minutes and inflating his value is a great way to kill two birds with one stone
        Even if we're tanking, I wouldn't want Kleiza taking minutes away from Ross (for his development) and Fields (for his evaluation).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Even if we're tanking, I wouldn't want Kleiza taking minutes away from Ross (for his development) and Fields (for his evaluation).
          that's why I suggest the PF spot
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            The amnesty period ends 7 days after the NBA Moratorium (which should be July 10).. after July 17 teams cannot use their amnesty card this year, and will have to wait for July 1 2014 (and at that point Kleiza will be a FA).
            Which means we have seventeen days to see if we can find a use for him. If we can't in that time then we have to decide if we want to amnesty him or simply hold on to him in the hopes we can find a little value for him.

But as I said: amnestying Kleiza doesn't change our financial position especially, so the argument for amnestying him isn't that strong. It boils down to whether or not having him be the 15th man on the roster means he's taking up room we really want someone else to fill (a Summer League transplant, for example), and we could sign some rookie to a minimum contract regardless of where we are monetarily.

Comment

PF's w/ value as 'stretch' 4's these days are mighty $$.
              I have no idea who Masai could target, and of course, I would fall back to in-season Carl Landry talks, but those have all but disappeared since BC left, and Carl has been talking w/ Doc & Clips

Speaking of which, Masai said that once he has his staff in place, he'd unveil his plans...
              I hope that happens soon as he has already started to make moves.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                worry about the tax is teachers pension plan thinking.
                I'm not totally convinced of that. Look at it this way: Let's say the plan is to spend big and be a $80-$90 million dollar team, and our salaries for the following seasons are as follows:
                year - payroll - tax*
                2013-14 - $72 - $.5
                2014-15 - $80 - $14.5
                2015-16 - $86 - $28.75
                2016-17 - $86 - $43.75**
                2017-18 - $86 - $43.75

*this is assuming the tax threshold stays at around $71, which it clearly won't. But I don't want to try to speculate what the threshold is going to be five years out.
                **repeater rate kicks in at 2016, because three of previous four years have been tax years.

now, if they don't go into the tax this year:
                year - payroll - tax*
                2013-14 - $71 - $0
                2014-15 - $80 - $14.5
                2015-16 - $86 - $28.75
                2016-17 - $86 - $28.75
                2017-18 - $86 - $43.75**

Basically, the more they plan on spending three years down the road, the more the decision to go into the luxury tax this year will hurt them. Ownership may be planning to pay whatever it takes to build a winner (we can hope!), but are they really willing to acquire role-players now that could end up costing them $16 million more in taxes down the road? Would you spend $16 million just to hang onto Kleiza as a trade asset? Like I say, I'm not convinced. I think you need to try to stay under the tax this year.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  Which means we have seventeen days to see if we can find a use for him. If we can't in that time then we have to decide if we want to amnesty him or simply hold on to him in the hopes we can find a little value for him.

But as I said: amnestying Kleiza doesn't change our financial position especially, so the argument for amnestying him isn't that strong. It boils down to whether or not having him be the 15th man on the roster means he's taking up room we really want someone else to fill (a Summer League transplant, for example), and we could sign some rookie to a minimum contract regardless of where we are monetarily.
                  That depends on what you think the Raptors are planning.

There is actually a lot of sense to be made.

By amnestying the Raptors can use both the MLE and the Bi-Annual exception.

If you use the MLE you automatically have a hard cap of $74M (based on last year numbers, assumed to go up slightly).

If you are making trades that take you over the apron ($74M) then you are limited to taking back at most 125% + 100k vs. 150% + 100k under the apron or up to $5M under $20M in outgoing salaries.

With a team without a lot of flexibility, shedding Kleiza's contract via amnesty may in fact open up some wiggle room.

The question is are the plans Ujiri has in place helped or hindered by amnestying Kleiza? Considering he is injured and a fringe rotational player at best, I would think helped unless his plans all hinge on the trade deadline.

Comment

Amnestying him would help get us under last's year luxury line, but this year's might actually go up a lot so we might not have to, and save it for next year's FA/draft superclass.

Comment

I think for some teams he's worth 2nd round pick. Just some good marketing's needed.
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                        Amnestying him would help get us under last's year luxury line, but this year's might actually go up a lot so we might not have to, and save it for next year's FA/draft superclass.
                        If we don't amnesty him this year, the only Raptor left that we can amnesty next year is Amir. Amnesty eligible candidates can be found here:
                        http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/amnesty_eligible

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          If we don't amnesty him this year, the only Raptor left that we can amnesty next year is Amir. Amnesty eligible candidates can be found here:
                          http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/amnesty_eligible
                          right right, skipped my mind, his contract is over next year anyways

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            deadweight + big contract = amnesty
                            They still pay him the money, it just doesn't count against the cap so I don't think it's that easy when you get down to it.

It might be best to keep him until the trade deadline. His expiring deal might be of worth in a trade.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Plus Q-Rich is likely to take a buy-out. He'll basically get $2M for helping Barg's move from Toronto to New York. So that's another roster spot open.
                              Doesn't he have 1 year Guaranteed?

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                Doesn't he have 1 year Guaranteed?
                                Yeah, but I'm pretty sure it's at the veteran's min. The buy-out negotiation should be fairly straight forward, "We'll give you the guaranteed year plus 10% to go away" - "Perfect".

I can't remember what the veteran's minimum is now, but it is likely in the $750k-$1.2M range for him.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X