No announcement yet.

Raptors To Use Amnesty Clause on Kleiza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doug's reaction doesn't surprise me in the least. Linas is not an asset anymore. Not every player is an asset. If he has a history of injury problems, a contract that's hard to move, and is typically a bench player regardless, then he's not an asset. Everything Masai does is just another excuse to hate on him, in his eyes.

I've never really got to comment on him until now, but I find his whole blog laughable.
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:22 PM.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
      I don't know, I agree with Doug on this one. I don't really see the benefit of this move other than the hope to save some money.

I'm not a fan of Doug and most times I don't agree with him but I think he speaks the truth here no matter if he has an axe to grind. The truth is still the truth no matter the messenger.

Matt, the Raptors are well below the tax threshold. You think they're worried about the cap hitting $72M+ this year?
      The hard cap... we amnestied kleiza to get more space for the hard cap
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• I really wish I hadn't clicked on the link to Doug Smith's blog. Now thestar is going to think people like him, when really he's a complete twat with no journalistic integrity left when covering the Raps.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I don't know, I agree with Doug on this one. I don't really see the benefit of this move other than the hope to save some money.

I'm not a fan of Doug and most times I don't agree with him but I think he speaks the truth here no matter if he has an axe to grind. The truth is still the truth no matter the messenger.

Matt, the Raptors are well below the tax threshold. You think they're worried about the cap hitting $72M+ this year?
          Before the amnesty the Raptors are over the luxury tax and just $1.7M away from hardcap of $75.75M they are subject to due to accepting sign and trade player (Richardson) in Bargnani deal.

They are over loaded on the wings and shallow at PG.

They just cleared a roster space while allowing themselves to use the remainder of MLE AND the Bi-Annual if they choose to.

They also just allowed themselves to take back up to $4.6M more in salary than they send out in a trade should one come along.

Given Kleiza had no value, and the uncertainty with Richardson and Camby, this seems like a no-brainer to me. There is much more than saving the tax going on here - that is just one small benefit.

I disagree on the truth statements. That article blasting too much change about 4 weeks ago was an absolute joke.

Comment

• Where are you getting your cap numbers? What I'm looking at must have some holes.

Edit: Never mind, I know now. Hoops World. Doug might have been looking at a bad source like me. He's a professional sports writer so no excuse for him.

Comment

Where are you getting your cap numbers? What I'm looking at must have some holes.
              Mark Deeks and/or HoopsWorld.com

Not all contracts are up on Deeks.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                The hard cap... we amnestied kleiza to get more space for the hard cap
                I think there is also some general philosopy at play here in regard to clearing out some deadwood.

Comment

• I liked the Kleiza signing when it happened.. the team at the time needed a tough guy on the team after Bosh left and Triano was running the team into the ground.

The problem with Kleiza though is that if his shot wasn't falling then he'd become a bit of a liability. On defense he was not agile enough to keep the tweeners in front of him, and he'd be to small to bang down low with the big boys.

I loved his ferocity and hope he does well in Europe (or wherever he ends up).

Comment

• Lol that picture... Kleiza is a cool guy, always liked him.
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      and just $1.7M away from hardcap of $75.75M they are subject to due to accepting sign and trade player (Richardson) in Bargnani deal.
                      Whats this hardcap you refer to?
                      This is due to the fact that capped out teams can't sign-and-trade?

I've seen you use this $75.75M Hardcap before and meant to ask.

Comment

• TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                        And Doug doesnt like it

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Man, he's really ripping into TL and Masai. I wonder how long he's going to be under BC's payroll.
                        It's pretty clear Smith doesn't like the direction of things for whatever reason (they've all been discussed). Given his past history as chief sycophant for MLSE his turn to sober critic is a bit disingenuous but, having said that, I don't mind that there are people ready to question the new regime and its moves. Even if it's Doug Smith.

Comment

• Doug claims: "You need to understand there is NO CAP SAVINGS by this move. NONE."

Matt52, can you clarify? Is he being stupid, misinformed, or what?
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            Doug claims: "You need to understand there is NO CAP SAVINGS by this move. NONE."

Matt52, can you clarify? Is he being stupid, misinformed, or what?
                            He is looking one dimensional with little abstract thought.

The new CBa has an apron where teams cannot go over if they do certain things. Apron, or hard cap as it acts as same when th

Comment

• RealGM is false reporting that the Raps already amnestied Kleiza, linking to Stein's article, when Stein is only saying that the Raps are PLANNING to amnesty Kleiza but they havent yet.

RealGM is saying that they already did.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                He is looking one dimensional with little abstract thought.

The new CBa has an apron where teams cannot go over if they do certain things. Apron, or hard cap as it acts as same when th
                                Those things are done. Apron is $4m above luxury tax.

Things which kick in apron:
                                1 using full MLE
                                2 using bi-annual exception
                                3 accepting sign and trade player

Raps did #3 and cannot go over $4m apron no matter what.

So Doug is right. There are no cap savings. But what he fails to recognize are all the consequences of not amnestying Kleiza and the benefits of using it.

Does anyone not think MU would have used this if he could have got ANYTHING of value for LK?

Comment

Working...
                                X