Pistons interested in Rudy Gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    Probably because we had such a different roster at the start of last season. Bargs was the starting PF. Jose was still our backup PG. Ed Davis was playing heavy minutes. JV was playing his first NBA minutes and hadn't figured it out yet. Oh, and we didn't have Rudy Gay at SF, which is kinda a big deal since he is our best player by a wide margin. (currently, JV will get there).

So when you consider all the roster changes since then, you can't say that this team we have right now was the team that went 4-19 last year.
    Plus the combo of Andrea and JV in the front court was terrible deffensively.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      I don't think we really had a position of strength in the Gay trade. We needed to move Jose as much as they wanted to move Gay. Pretty even if you ask me.

As for VC, any strength we had when we acquired him on draft night was negated by the supreme-raping that we got when we sent him to the Nets.
      We did not need to move Jose at all, and our desire to trade him paled in comparison to Memphis desire to move Gay. Memphis needed to move Gay to get under the luxury tax. Gay's contract was 2 years longer than Jose's and way way bigger. The Raps didn't need to move Jose to get under the cap, we already were under the cap and Jose was expiring. Jose was just a nice trade piece thanks to his large salary for salary matching purposes, as well as his above average play.

Comment

• I read a tweet from David Aldridge I believe (just trying to remember), that Ujiri picked up the phone, listened, and told them nice try. Sorry if that tweet was already posted.

Quite frankly, expirings are too little for Rudy.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

We did not need to move Jose at all, and our desire to trade him paled in comparison to Memphis desire to move Gay. Memphis needed to move Gay to get under the luxury tax. Gay's contract was 2 years longer than Jose's and way way bigger. The Raps didn't need to move Jose to get under the cap, we already were under the cap and Jose was expiring. Jose was just a nice trade piece thanks to his large salary for salary matching purposes, as well as his above average play.
          If I am not mistaken, in addition there weren't other suitors who could meet the financial/player criteria set by Memphis. I think Detroit were interested in Gay but I cant say why they did not do the deal considering they were in the back end of it flipping Prince for Jose....possibly the Grizz preferred Davis to anything Detroit had.

Comment

We had to move Jose for 2 reasons: #2 - to end the point guard split between Jose and Lowry, #1 - as an expiring deal, Jose's value was at its peak. If we had wasted that asset then we would be even more of a laughingstock than we already are.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Update on the "possible suitors for Rudy" list:

Charlotte just signed Al Jefferson to a three-year $41 million deal. I am not the biggest fan of Big Al, but teams planning to tank don't sign reasonably good centers to big deals; I would bet they would be interested in Rudy now, and there's so much to loot from them (Detroit and Portland's protected 2014 picks, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kemba Walker).

Comment

• i'd do gay for tyrus thomas and a 2014 pick in a heartbeat
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                  Update on the "possible suitors for Rudy" list:

Charlotte just signed Al Jefferson to a three-year $41 million deal. I am not the biggest fan of Big Al, but teams planning to tank don't sign reasonably good centers to big deals; I would bet they would be interested in Rudy now, and there's so much to loot from them (Detroit and Portland's protected 2014 picks, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kemba Walker).
                  I still haven't lost faith in Kemba. He'd be a nice heir to Lowry's throne

Comment

Al Jeff has an opt-out after year 2, allowing the Bobcats to use their cap money on the 2016 free agent class of Bargnani!!! Ensuring the Bobcats are terrible for at least another decade

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      i'd do gay for tyrus thomas and a 2014 pick in a heartbeat
                      especially if we could get them to throw in jeffrey taylor as "filler". dude is crazy underrated.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Hoo-ray, the Raps aren't mentioned in that tweet!!

Comment

That is awesome to hear.

Whether Rudy stays or goes (same with DD or Lowry for that matter) I'm not too concerned about it. The main thing is having as many options for Ujiri to choose from. Charlotte, Cleveland, and Detroit are far from willingly tanking and all 3 have expressed interest in Gay in the past. May the offers start rolling.

Comment

But with a starting lineup of Jefferson, Zeller, Gay, Henderson and Walker and with guys like MKG, Sessions, Mullens, and Taylor on the bench, where do you think that 2014 pick will end up? I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks so, but that would look like a formidable squad

Comment

Not gonna happen!

Comment

• Sam17 wrote: View Post
                                But with a starting lineup of Jefferson, Zeller, Gay, Henderson and Walker and with guys like MKG, Sessions, Mullens, and Taylor on the bench, where do you think that 2014 pick will end up? I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks so, but that would look like a formidable squad
                                I think that potential Bobcats squad sucks the pipe. You're taking a team that went 21-61 last year and adding Jefferson (an all-iso-offense, no-defense center), Rudy (a good small forward but definitively not a team-changer) and Zeller (a project at best). The Al Jefferson signing isn't proof that the Bobcats will be good; it's proof that they're going to try and buy their way into contention. But, because they're the Bobcats, they're doing it in the stupidest way possible.

Of course, I'm not sure that the Bobcats 2014 pick is technically dealable without some major cleverness, because right now it's dealt to Chicago on a protected basis, so if they trade Toronto the protection (which is 1-10 this year), Toronto would have to potentially give them a first-rounder in 2015 in the event that Chicago got their 2015 pick (so that Charlotte doesn't go without a first-rounder in consecutive years, which is against the rules). I think it has to be worded like:

"Charlotte trades Toronto their first-round pick in 2014 (11-30 protected); if Chicago gets Charlotte's pick in 2015, Toronto agrees to trade their first-round pick to Charlotte; if Toronto does not get Charlotte's first-round pick in 2014, Charlotte trades their 2016 first-round pick to Toronto."

Comment

Working...
                                X