Playoffs Next Year! Fool's Gold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playoffs Next Year! Fool's Gold?

With the 7th(Boston), 8th(Milwaukee), & 9th seed(Philly) all tanking for next year, do you think making the playoffs next year is fool's gold? Given the Raps finished 10th it seems automatic.

I'm a believer in not tanking because the draft is a lottery, but maybe those team are re-tooling for a brighter future in 2014-15 (Free agency class). Mind you the three teams I have mentioned have played in the playoffs and Boston has a ring. The Raps have neither. Are the Raps doing it right or are the bottom seeds doing it right?

I think we should take advantage of the tankers and shoot for the playoffs and give the young guys some playoff experience or make Toronto more attractive to potential free agents, if it doesn't work Gays contract will be off the books soon and we can retool or reset then as long as the dont take on any contracts longer than 2 years.

Comment

I don't mind making the playoffs next year but i wouldn't look at it as being earned. If we aim for the playoffs next year and miss them and we didn't make whatever possible trades for our players we, hypothetically, could be making now, we are up shits creek. Boston is going to have money, young players and draft picks. They might be taking one year to maybe nab the big fish.

If we stick with our guys are don't become contenders hiw long does jv stay? Do we hope wiggins strings his team along for 7 years with his eyes on coming home?

I really think, along with lots of gms actually, that this is the year where the gold is at the bottom of the pile.

Send Gay out, use some of that money on lowry. Get that high draft pick and with a lottle luck the stars align, right?

Ramble, ramble. Happy for the playoffs, would be expected but don't think its the right course.

Comment

I hope we make the playoffs, because even if we don't (barring some sort of injury epidemic) we'll just end up with a less than 5% chance of getting the 1st pick. I'd rather say goodbye to that slim chance and have guys like Derozan, JV and Amir get to experience the playoffs, get a feel for winning and see how much tougher it is when the regular season ends.

Comment

Making the playoffs this year should be attainable, but should it be the goal? I think if we make the playoffs as the 5th-8th seed, it accomplishes nothing except allow all the teams that tanked to surpass us quickly next season. But with so many teams seeming to look at the top of the lottery, tanking is a huge risk.

I think MU needs to look at each piece of the roster, gauge their trade value, and then make a quick but firm decision; tank or push? If you want to push, then there are teams out there willing to sell off assets to tank. If you want to tank, then taking a deal like Detroit's expiring garbage for Gay will get you there. At the end of the day, whatever decision MU makes has to put us in a better position in the next 2-3 years. We need to be competitive and not carry so much bloated salary.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

PLayoffs are never fool's gold, it's more about how you get there.

I mean, if the Raps "tank" and trade Gay, DeMar and Lowry....but say JV explodes, and they still compete for the playoffs, possibly making it or just missing again....what does that mean then? I mean, JV will have proven himself as a franchise player (or close to it). And our chances at a good lottery pick are not much better than if we had kept all those guys.

Anyway, just to say, as long as we don't follow the Colangelo model, as in "mortgage the future" to get into the playoffs (I guess it was the NYK model before BC came to Toronto, and now the Knicks can claim ownership again), I'm fine with whatever happens. Maintain draft assets....Sell high on non-keepers (trust Ujiri to sort that out)...Don't put the team in a compromising financial situation.

I'm not a fan of tanking, and think this team could try to trade up in terms of talent, rather than down, and still be building properly, but either way, like I said, it's all about building the right way regardless. I suppose I'm skeptical about a tank-job because BC has been our GM for 7 years, and I have a hard time picturing the Raps making good trades and draft choices. I definitely have more faith in Ujiri, but still hard to take that leap.

Comment

I feel like the bottom seeds are doing the right thing by tanking. You don't have to get the top pick in this years lottery to end up a winner. Plenty of good players in the draft this year. Only problem is that so many other teams are tanking this year as well that it makes things tough to get into the top 5 even.

While I understand the rationale for trying to make the playoffs I don't agree with limping in and getting bounced in the first round. It's the same treadmill story. For this reason I feel like teams like Charlotte, Cleavland, Wizards etc.. that have been in the top 5 of the lotto the past few years are doing things the right way. "Get busy living or get busy dying", but don't waste your time in the middle.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                I feel like the bottom seeds are doing the right thing by tanking. You don't have to get the top pick in this years lottery to end up a winner. Plenty of good players in the draft this year. Only problem is that so many other teams are tanking this year as well that it makes things tough to get into the top 5 even.

While I understand the rationale for trying to make the playoffs I don't agree with limping in and getting bounced in the first round. It's the same treadmill story. For this reason I feel like teams like Charlotte, Cleavland, Wizards etc.. that have been in the top 5 of the lotto the past few years are doing things the right way. "Get busy living or get busy dying", but don't waste your time in the middle.
                I can't remember a season with this many teams looking to tank. Those games down the stretch are going to be scrutinized by the league to make sure that no shenanigans are being had. This could get silly.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Comment

I'd like to see a team assembled with a lot of flexibility and potential that can also compete now.

Call me greedy.

Quality pieces and quality systems (off and def) can get you a 7th or 8th seed especially when next year the Raps will have 8 games versus teams visibly tanking.

Considering that:

1) Colangelo never built a cohesive team but rather a collection of individuals designed to fix the flaws of one another,
                    2) Casey struggled to do what he wanted to do due to interference from above,
                    3) Raptors were 10-16 before finishing year on 7-2 run with Gay,

....is it insane to think that the Raptors might be able to trade away 'desirable' pieces (like Gay, DD, and Lowry) and in return:

1) get first multiple first round picks,
                    2) flexibility to pursue high value contracts (like Dunleavey to Bulls for $3M per year, as an example)

....allowing the Raptors to compete this up coming season AND get draft benefits as well?

Essentially what I am proposing is a MoneyBall meets "Denver-experience-after-Melo-drama".

Nah, maybe don't call me greedy but rather insane.

Comment

toebeesaw wrote: View Post
                      With the 7th(Boston), 8th(Milwaukee), & 9th seed(Philly) all tanking for next year, do you think making the playoffs next year is fool's gold? Given the Raps finished 10th it seems automatic.
                      The problem is that Detroit, Cleveland and Washington aren't tanking, and all have gotten significantly better already, and all of them are teams we hardly dominated last year.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                        The problem is that Detroit, Cleveland and Washington aren't tanking, and all have gotten significantly better already, and all of them are teams we hardly dominated last year.
                        Washington is a given for playoffs IMO. They ended the season how I thought it would go after okafor/ariza trade.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          PLayoffs are never fool's gold, it's more about how you get there.
                          bullshit!

how'd those spankings work out for philly? the bucks?

philly even made THE PROMISED LAND (2nd round) and thought so highly of the experience they blew it the hell up. i think they made a good choice!

bucks got destroyed and now face the decision of whether to go philly's route or resign ellis and jennings and possibly get shallacked in the first round for the next five years! yay?!

how's being moderately good forever worked for atlanta?

how does squeaking in next year move this team any further along? it moves us further back, as teams behind us get better.

Comment

1. Miami Heat
                            2. Chicago Bulls
                            3. Indiana Pacers
                            4. Brooklyn Nets
                            5. New York Knicks
                            6. Toronto Raptors
                            7. Washington Wizards
                            8. Detroit Pistons

Ladies and Gentlemen your 2013-14 Eastern Conference Playoffs
                            #BringBackUzoh

Comment

OzRapFan wrote: View Post
                              I think we should take advantage of the tankers and shoot for the playoffs and give the young guys some playoff experience or make Toronto more attractive to potential free agents, if it doesn't work Gays contract will be off the books soon and we can retool or reset then as long as the dont take on any contracts longer than 2 years.
                              I'm sorry, but that is a bunch of BS that I see thrown around so much. Making the 7th or 8th seed and getting kicked out in the first round won't make you more attractive to free agents. Just ask how that is working out for Bucks and Hawks.

Free agents are attracted by either a rich history, or having a superstar or an upcoming star in your roster. The best way to attain that upcoming star? The draft. Just look at the Clippers. You think Paul would have agreed if they hadn't drafter Griffin? What about Heat signing LBJ? Do you think he would have if they didn't have Wade?

If you look at the majority of the NBA finals MVP in the past 15 years, they were drafted by the team. If there's one unwritten rule in the NBA, it's that you can't win without a STAR! (or multiple ones)
                              "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                              X