Playoffs Next Year! Fool's Gold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    I can't remember a season with this many teams looking to tank. Those games down the stretch are going to be scrutinized by the league to make sure that no shenanigans are being had. This could get silly.

It is going to be insane. Some epsn heads were saying the other day that if the Lakers don't get dwight, they let kobe take his time coming back from injury, they trade gasol and tank away. If the Lakers and Celtics are both tanking, I think we can tolerate the stench of doing it too. Playoffs made by not looking at the future are fool's gold as all those other teams are stocking up for a run we won't be ready for

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
      I'm sorry, but that is a bunch of BS that I see thrown around so much. Making the 7th or 8th seed and getting kicked out in the first round won't make you more attractive to free agents. Just ask how that is working out for Bucks and Hawks.

Free agents are attracted by either a rich history, or having a superstar or an upcoming star in your roster. The best way to attain that upcoming star? The draft. Just look at the Clippers. You think Paul would have agreed if they hadn't drafter Griffin? What about Heat signing LBJ? Do you think he would have if they didn't have Wade?

If you look at the majority of the NBA finals MVP in the past 15 years, they were drafted by the team. If there's one unwritten rule in the NBA, it's that you can't win without a STAR! (or multiple ones)
      Totally agree.

If you want to see a competitive team next year, that's fine. Considering all the losing lately, that's a perfectly understandable point of view.

But let's not pretend that the NBA's A-listers will look at a 42-win team and think to themselves, "I'm going to the tee-dot!". Not gonna happen.

Comment

What would be dreadful is the Raptors going full on tank mode, and getting the 8th pick in the draft.. then drafting a role player who's just decent off the bench.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          What would be dreadful is the Raptors going full on tank mode, and getting the 8th pick in the draft.. then drafting a role player who's just decent off the bench.
          That's my biggest fear: epic tanking fail.

With so many tankers, especially in the east, coupled with the luck required to win the draft lottery, finishing in the 8-14 spot (the tanking treadmill) is my biggest nightmare.

There are bound to be some teams that completely alienate their fanbase when the tanking strategy backfires. Not to mention the GMs that will be on the extremely hot seat, when they fail to compete and fail to rebuild through the deep 2014 draft. 2014 is not the draft that you want to come away with the class 'bust'.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
            bullshit!

how'd those spankings work out for philly? the bucks?

philly even made THE PROMISED LAND (2nd round) and thought so highly of the experience they blew it the hell up. i think they made a good choice!

bucks got destroyed and now face the decision of whether to go philly's route or resign ellis and jennings and possibly get shallacked in the first round for the next five years! yay?!

how's being moderately good forever worked for atlanta?

how does squeaking in next year move this team any further along? it moves us further back, as teams behind us get better.
            First off, Philly did not build a team properly. If you read my post you'd notice that was the critical point. Milwaukee tries, but Milwaukee can't keep or attract top tier talent, so they're also a piss poor example.

Playoffs are a reward for hard work during a season.

By the indiscriminately tanking logic....If this team blew it up except for JV, and still made the playoffs...what then? Trade JV to have worse picks and rebuild again? Fucking ridiculous.

At no point in my post did I mention anything about being moderately good forever.

You'll notice my key point was regardless of playoffs, these following things must be constant, in which case I will have faith that the front office knows what they're doing better than legions of tank-hungry fans.
            ->Key issues:
            -Maintain draft assets....
            -Sell high on non-keepers (trust Ujiri to sort that out in terms of who to keep)
            -Don't put the team in a compromising financial situation

If the team is doing all these things and still makes the playoffs despite, say, trading away players like Gay, DeMar, Lowry, how can you still be fucking upset? Again, would you want them then to trade the pieces that got them to the playoffs despite the blow-up? That makes no fucking sense...

Stupid tanking logic
            "We need to lose to get higher picks and better players"
            "Shit, we traded the players we thought kept us mediocre and became better."
            "Guess we need to trade those guys, too. Can't afford to surpass expectations. If we keep losing for several decades, maybe we can become the next Clippers"

If Indiana followed that logic, the year after they drafted George they should've blown it up. I mean, they finished 8th at 37-45 with a roster still lacking in balance and talent. Instead they picked up David West and George Hill to add to their core and are now at least a conference contender with an outside shot (but a legit one) at a title. It's not so simple as "we're mediocre so it's better to start sucking again".

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
              Deja vu?

Comment

bullshit!

philly even made THE PROMISED LAND (2nd round) and thought so highly of the experience they blew it the hell up. i think they made a good choice!

bucks got destroyed and now face the decision of whether to go philly's route or resign ellis and jennings and possibly get shallacked in the first round for the next five years! yay?!

how does squeaking in next year move this team any further along? it moves us further back, as teams behind us get better.
                7-11 is fine as long as it is not your ceiling.

76ers/Bucks had that as their ceiling.

Pacers/Grizz/OKC used it as a stepping stone (all in various ways).

Comment

bullshit!

Also it's hard to accept anything you say SINCE YOU THINK THE PROMISED LAND IS THE 2ND ROUND.

Playoffs is not the promised land. Finals is, at the very least, or strictly speaking, just being a champion. Playoffs is just when the real season starts.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post

It is going to be insane. Some epsn heads were saying the other day that if the Lakers don't get dwight, they let kobe take his time coming back from injury, they trade gasol and tank away. If the Lakers and Celtics are both tanking, I think we can tolerate the stench of doing it too. Playoffs made by not looking at the future are fool's gold as all those other teams are stocking up for a run we won't be ready for
                    I don't think 2003 will even compare to this year. Boston, Lakers (without Howard), Charlotte, Orlando, Philly, Bucks, Suns, Mavs (without Howard), and Kings all have a legit shot at the #1 pick. That's almost a third of the league!!
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I don't think 2003 will even compare to this year. Boston, Lakers (without Howard), Charlotte, Orlando, Philly, Bucks, Suns, Mavs (without Howard), and Kings all have a legit shot at the #1 pick. That's almost a third of the league!!
                      You can't avoid the tragic but hilarious thought that one of those teams is going to get Darko. Hope it's not us.

Comment

It's too late now for 2014, the secrets out. The asking price is too high.
                        Look i'm all for getting a superstar, i argued that heavily, because a superstar will very rarely get traded in their prime, and you need them to win a championship to win you those 4th quarters.

the perinneal loosers will ask for the moon for their draft picks, and if we send out all our assests for a chance at a top 3 picks. Even if we get Wiggins, Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon, How are gonna surround them then ? we'll have no draft picks, no trade assets, we'll be a loosing team, who still can't attract free agents, and in 5 years, said superstar will walk if he didn't ask for a trade before Hand.

Stoudamire/Vince Carter/Mcgrady/Camby in their prime, sounds like a SICK line up, but we never surrounded those guys fast enough for one to wait for the other to come.

Lets collect 2015 and 2016 draft picks at a low price. And see who comes out as a potential next(.......) or who goes back to school, Jabari parker claims education is very important to him and wants to enjoy Duke, Like wiggins they dont seem to me like guys who get caught up in the glamour, that would put Parker in the 2016 draft maybe. Maybe someone projected out of the top 5 thinks he can be number #1 the year after.

Don't get caught up in the hype, we still have to approach this in smart, cautious way.

Comment

If we tank I really hope someone here invents a time machine so we can all skip the next 12 months. I fear for my television with another year of watching the Raptors lose. I seem to find myself throwing the remote control around a lot when my nights are wasted seeing this team blow 4th quarter leads.
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                            If we tank I really hope someone here invents a time machine so we can all skip the next 12 months. I fear for my television with another year of watching the Raptors lose. I seem to find myself throwing the remote control around a lot when my nights are wasted seeing this team blow 4th quarter leads.
                            If we go for tank, I don't think we'll have to worry about the team blowing any 4th quarter (or half-time) leads.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

If we go for tank, I don't think we'll have to worry about the team blowing any 4th quarter (or half-time) leads.
                              That's even worse.

I'd like to be positive about it and just start hoping they loose every game but I can't see myself doing that.

This could be a long winter...
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                i'm coming around on the tanking argument. as much as I'd like to see the raptors in 2014 playoffs (and getting knocked out in the first round), in the long run it just seems like tanking has the better chance of improving the team overall, even if takes several more years of just horrible basketball. ugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X